Gaming w/Jemal : War of the Gods Pt 1. (Attn: All)

Jemal

Adventurer
Over the past years the battles between good and evil have grown exponentially, finally breaking into full on war last year. All of the planes are in chaos as the most primal and powerful forces of the universe are pitted against each other. The Prime material plane is a primary battleground, and the mortals within it are on the verge of destruction.

The neutral deities have done their best to keep the balance, but with so many enemies to contend with, the best they've been able to do is to keep the gods from personally interfering. This does not, however, stop their servants, nor their Avatars, from wreaking havoc.

There is still hope, though. The council of druids, seeking to restore balance, has arranged a meeting of adventurers in response to the peril...

FLYNN - The flying city. A marvel of civilization combining technology, magic, and psionic power together to raise a massive metropolis to the skies and keep it there. Perched upon a half dozen stabilized clouds, the Metropoils is home to nearly a million people, second only in size to the immense planar capital of Sigil, and is a primary transportation hub with its massive fleet of airships.

It is here that the meeting is being held, a gathering of adventurers to discuss the increasing effects of divine intervention upon the inhabitants of the Material Plane. Some were invited, some happened across it by word of mouth, others were simply in town at the right time and noticed the posters - a call to arms of sorts.

The large park is filled with over a hundred adventurers, many of them legends in their own right, others wanting to make a name for themselves, some simply there to see what all the fuss is about.

Looking out as the crowd settled down, Archdruid Furel turned and whispered to Setis "I think we'll be lucky if a dozen of these people are actually willing and able to help. A pity, but beggars cannot be choosers, as they say." He sighed and stepped forwards then, clearing his throat and raising his hands to gain the attention of the crowd.

"If you do not know what a dangerous time we find ourselves in, then I daresay you are in the wrong place. Since you are here, I would guess that you like ourselves are worried. It is true that the Gods have quarrelled for quite some time, longer than any alive can remember, perhaps longer even than they can remember.. though before now, they seemed content to let their differences be settled through mediaries, allowing for a balance, for mortals to thrive. That is no longer the case. Cities razed, entire swathes of lands destroyed, people hiding in fear and uncertainty. It cannot be allowed to continue. There are those among us who have the power and the will to stand up and defend this realm and its people, and I have arranged this meeting in the hopes of attracting as many of those people here as possible, that we might work together. Separately we are no match for the gods or their servants, but together perhaps we can be."

The druid stops then and turns to motion another man forward, when from outside there comes a draconic roar, a bellow far louder than any dragon those gathered have heard. It is echoed a thousand times until nothing can be heard over the roars. The very building shakes from the tremendous bellowing until it seems as though it will crash down around you.

Then, as suddenly as it had started, it is over. several of the gathered 'adventurers' lay on the ground unconscious from the sheer power of the experience, many dozens more are huddled against the trees, fleeing into the streets, or curled in balls weeping with fear. Their quiet sobs and the quick breathing of those few still standing are all that is heard for a moment, the calm before the inevitable storm which comes crashing like thunder.

From the south they come, appearing from behind another cloud like a swarm of angry bees. Chromatic dragons of every colour and size, and at their forefront the largest of them all, distinct even at this distance - the five headed queen and mother of evil dragons, Tiamat. Her children, too many to count, set about laying waste to that portion of the city. As several of the gathered adventurers begin moving, perhaps to combat her, another series of bellows from the north attracts the attention of all, including the Chromatic dragons, who cease their destruction and look as an enormous platinum scaled dragon descends from the skies, an army of dragons shining metallic behind him, gold, silver, bronze, brass, and copper.

"YOUR VILE PRESENCE IS UNWANTED IN MY SKIES, WITCH!" The great platinum dragon's voice resounds clearly "IT IS FAR PAST TIME TO CLEANSE YOU AND YOURS FROM THIS UNIVERSE!" A chorus of angry screams is Tiamat's response as the two draconic armies charge towards one another.

"Quickly!" Archdruid Furel is among the first to regain his wits "We must evacuate this city, their quarrel will tear this place apart!" He looks around as dragons begin their battles all over, a pair of great reds swoop overhead, their breaths setting much of the forest and the surrounding houses on fire.

[sblock=ooc]
So, a million-man metroplis swarmed by thousands of dragons with a pair of gods dueling in the skies.
Lets see how you handle it. ;)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Cast]
Dharuhk Svahre - Elle
Shayuri - Setis
Fenris - Kilikak
Ruiktheforgotten - Mizore
Others?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
"Quickly!" Archdruid Furel is among the first to regain his wits "We must evacuate this city, their quarrel will tear this place apart!" He looks around as dragons begin their battles all over, a pair of great reds swoop overhead, their breaths setting much of the forest and the surrounding houses on fire.

"Rally the people of this city and get them to your airships"
cries Kilikak the legendary defender of dwarven tunnels. "I will go and help buy you some time, even if it is with my life." with that the giant dwarf turns and flies towards the fight, his famous glaive already whirling in his hands.

"Join me in the defense of the city!" he calls out as he soars over the park.

Ruiktheforgotten

First Post
no you fool! the dragons are keeping themselves occupied enough!Help get these people out of here!

Mizore shouts out to the dwarven defender, already realizing she probably wont be heard over all commotion. With that however she returns to the matter at hand directing people to a nearby telepad so that they may escape.

Shayuri

First Post
Setis was technically a druid, though in truth the path she followed was more ancient than the mysteries of what was called druidism by even the venerable archdruid of Flynn. She had walked with the spirits of mountain and sky, meditated in the old groves where the millennium trees thousands of feet and spoken with them in their whispered language of roots and branches. This and more, and she had come back transformed. Old beyond reckoning, but forever renewed, like life itself. Appearing in a bewildering array of form and shape, constantly changing to adapt, again, like life itself. Setis was not human anymore, and few sought her presence for its own sake since she was mercurial and temperamental at best...but in this fight her power was needed.

She glared up at the seething skies and said to the archdruid, "I have a portal device. I'll evacuate people from the far side of the city...the ones who wouldn't make it here."

"Mizore, come with me! You can help direct the refugees to me. Otherwise they won't know I'm there."

With that Setis collapsed into the shape of a large canine creature and took off across the city grounds at a prodigious lope...her speed amplified by occasionally flickering and teleporting forward a few hundred feet every few seconds.

(Action! Wildshape to Blink Dog. Set off to set up another evacuation site somewhere fairly far from the main one, so that people don't have to run as far. This second site will be using my Cubic Gate. She can pop people into the Ethereal Plane for now, where they can wait safe from dragons until the crisis passes, or Setis comes through as well, then uses the Gate to open a portal back to the Material Plane.)

Dharuhk Svahre

First Post
Elle was napping at the base of the tree when the commotion began. She really had little interest in the meeting, had seen plenty like it in the past year. Though to be perfectly fair this was on a much larger scale. But they always end the same. Either a bunch of talking that results in nothing getting done, or a bunch of fools with no idea what they are doing march off and getting themselves killed. Still, she dragged herself from meeting to meeting with the faint hope somebody could have clues on the one she hunted.

With all the sudden noise and panick from the crowd, she returned to the realm of the conscious to be greeted by two armies of dragons preparing to duke it out over the unfortunate city. To her, this was a mixed blessing. Amongst the hordes was not the one she sought, this would be another wasted trip. And yet the tavern keeper over at the "Sluggish Sheep" owed her 15 gold. She knew there was no way such a large gathering in such a crowded city could happen without incident.

She now had a decision to make. She could fight to aid the town, either by helping people to escape or valiantly battling the dragons and defending all mankind from their divine oppressers. This option was not favored by her, fighting for the weak not being her style. She was an embodyment of vengeance, not mercy. She could leave but... it just didn't feel right. No, there was only one other option.

She knew the town was done for, it really didn't make a difference in the end which side one. But she also knew the one she hunted wa saligned with the side of good. Aiding the chromatic dragons in this endeaver would put pressure on the good side and hopefully make her target eaisier to find. It was time to hunt some mettalic dragons.

Without saying a word, she floated up from her tree and perched on a nearby buidling, watching and waiting for the dragons to descend from the skies and fight in the trees and allyways of the city. Then she would strike, and make another small step towrads her goal of vengeance.

[sblock=OOC]
Elle is going to wait for some good dragons to end up in secluded areas in order to isolate and fight them. She isn't gonna bother to hide (against dragons, it would make much difference). She is still open to events going on around her if she can help (like a building falling on babies ect). She has her defending weapon ready.

Side note, my backstory stuff was lost when my comp died, so I'll try to get it retyped and remember to post it sometime this week.
[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
Killikak the Giant dwarf Flies up, his battle cry rallying several of the assembled adventurers who haven't allready fled, and they charge off towards the brawl. Elle quietly makes her way in the same direction, searching for metalic dragons to fight.

Shouting after them, Mizore knows even before she opens her mouth that she won't be heard, but tries anyways, after which she notices the old woman Setis calling her over to help evacuate the people.

"The cities airships will already be filling with escapees" The archdruid shouts above the commotion as he joins them, summoning a small raincloud to put out the fires nearby. "I'll handle evacuations in this area, I'd suggest heading to the city areas away from the Docking Spires. It doesn't matter where you get them, just out of the city - The dragons aren't after people, they're just collateral damage." He turns then and starts rounding up those left in the clearing to help evacuate the area.

Mizore and Setis head out, crossing the distance quickly. Still it takes them a couple minutes to get where they're heading, and by the time they do the area is extremely unstable, buildings being destroyed by falling or fighting dragons, and explosions from draconic magic all over the place.

They arrive in a relatively open marketplace with people cowering in terror and set up there, Mizore doing her best to hail people over to the gate.

More to the South, Kilikak and his band have encountered a few smaller dragons with minimal losses, and are currently engaged with a pair of black dragons.

Not so far away, Elle was continuing her strike tactics, ambushing a Gold dragon that had stopped momentarily to mend its wounds.

[sblock=Aside]
Other contender for the Giant Dwarf[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]
Just FYI I'm assuming that you all at the least know OF each other, each being larger-than life, possibly legendary individuals, so knowing each others names is no problem, and it's up to you whether you've met/worked together before.

Fenris/Dharuhk - Would you like detailed combat or do you mind if we keep it narrative at this point? There are few dragons present short of the gods themselves that could provide a real challenge to either of your characters, the threat here is more about the sheer number of them and the danger they pose to the city - and the possibility of attracting Bahamut or Tiamat's attention.

Also Ruik, you have your speed listed as 340 but I count 200.. 30 base +120 Epic Speed + 50 Fast Movement. (Neither fast movement nor Epic Speed stack with boots). Still with the Run Feat that allows you 1000' per round(113mph), more than enough to keep up with Setis: Blink dog 40 X 4 run = 160 + Free dimension door of 720 = 880' per round.(100mph).
[/sblock]

A tankard wobbles and rolls, out of it falls a tiny off white wyrmling. "What hit Aussir's drink?" The little creature looks to the sky. He becomes excited and crouches in what might be construed as a take off posture. As he's about to leap into take of he stops himself. "Wait, wait... gotta check marking guide..." Aussir takes out a little pamphlet and spends a moment glancing at it, muttering to himself. "Heroic electives... rescue... protection... higher marks... smiting ... minor..." He thinks to himself for a moment then nods putting the paper away. "Right protect the weaklings, save the ships." Aussir flys up and looks around for the best area to help with the evacuations. Still muttering to himself, "After weaklings are gone then Aussir show dragons of this world who is best."

[sblock=OoC] Aussir is going to play boyscout. He helps guide people to airships and then protects the airships after. A side note Aussir uses all his frenzies each morning when there is no one around so he won't go mad if struck.[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
On arriving at the square, Setis produces a small, intricately carved marble cube. She turns it around a few times, then nods and presses a side. With an unearthly wail, a shivering rift opens into the swirling grey of the Ethereal Plane. She waves people over, ducking down as an explosion of dragon fire roars past overhead.

"This way! Through the gate, if you don't want to be burned alive! Quickly, for your lives!"

She keeps an eye on the sky as she urges people forward, ready to defend the gate, should it attract a dragon's wandering eye.

Jemal

Adventurer
The legends continue their efforts, some helping direct people into portals, or onto ships, while others hunt down the dragons - both good and evil. After several minutes, one of the smaller sections floating independently can no longer sustain flight with all the damage, and begins to dip. A moment later, a Colossal Red drops from fighting a pair of Silvers, his momentum and weight destroying the supporting cloud and bringing that section tumbling to the ground.

The Dragons seem more interested in each other than the people, though occasionally a Chromatic will attack seemingly for fun, or a Metallic will notice an 'unsavory' individual among a group and strafe them indiscriminately, no longer caring about the collateral. It is as if they are obsessed, no longer caring about morals or personal safety, just about destroying the perceived opposition. Every legend is forced to engage a dragon or two (More for those actively searching them), but they fight more like savage beasts than intelligent creatures, and the whole time Bahamut and Tiamat fly back and forth, clashing and then breaking apart only to come crashing into one another again a few hundred feet away.

What is left of the city is in ruins or on fire, few people left moving. All of the city's airships have left, and as another cloud fails, you all realize it is only a matter of time until the last remaining sections fail too. There are still hundreds, perhaps thousands, hiding or fleeing among the streets, but there may not be time to save them all.

[sblock=ooc]
Guess I should use less open ended posts for the future. OK, how long do each of you plan on doing your thing.. Do you continue hunting/helping until the city drops, and then try to survive somehow? Do any of you have any other things you'd like to do before you leave? Specific Goals or time frames? How are each of you planning on escaping the city before it goes down?
[/sblock]

Fenris

Adventurer
OOC: The narrative posts are dandy for me. Sorry I was out of touch, I was at a conference and the stupid internet wouldn't work for me.

Killikak starts off battling those chromatic dragons he can find, but is confused by the behavior of the metallic dragons he sees and the overall battle. Still he wades in and does his part, trying mostly to contain any dragons from bring the battle towards the evacuation zone.

Remove ads