Gamma World unboxing

Greg K

Legend
I'm curious

1) Is it the collectible nature of the boosters (as dm4hire points out) that is the problem? Would a non-random expansion deck "fix" the game? Or, no new cards at all, except perhaps in later "full" expansions like "Famine in Far-Go"?

2) Or is it the actual use of the cards in play, making powers and gear random during the game? Are randomly drawing cards during the game problematic, but okay during character creation? Would randomly rolling on a table be better (basically the same effect using a superficially different mechanic)?

As I stated elsewhere, I really like the idea of the cards themselves. I liked the deck ifor WEG's DC Universe RPG (didn't care for the game) and all the cool things about the Marvel Saga deck. I am tempted to by the Savage Worlds Action Deck at some point. However, none of those were collectible which is my sole issue with the the boosters. If it was non-random expansion decks , I would have no complaints.

Korgoth

First Post
I'm looking forward to that box. It looks like a ton of fun. The new Gamma World is obviously a cartoon/comic book, which is fine. Even 1e wasn't completely serious, what with rifle-toting bunnies and all. Though you could ignore that and run it seriously if you wanted.

I'm not bothered by the cards because it actually seems to add to the gonzo that they're going for. It shouldn't matter whether your group's tech deck has a repeating gauss rifle in it or not... especially since the players shouldn't know! Rare supertech is rare supertech, and they get what they get.

Not that I believe that their putative appropriateness to the milieu is the reason for doing the cards. Obviously the reason for them is to get a bonus revenue stream. It might not even have been WOTC's decision... who knows how profitable the Hasbro execs expect WOTC to be and how cranky they are? It can easily see a suit putting 2 and 2 together: "Magic (tm) is your most profitable game. It's collectible. Make all your games collectible so that they'll earn like Magic (tm)! Or else you're fired! Bwahahaha!"

Still, it seems to dovetail nicely with the new attitude of Gamma World. If someone obsessively has to collect one of every card (which I'm sure WOTC wants you to), then really that's their fault and they should learn some self-control. Or if you have tons of money, well no big deal then.

scourger

Explorer
Thanks for the link. I'm excited about the new GW again. Maybe a good way to share the cost if we decide to do boosters is to have each player bring a booster to each game. Then, everyone can add to the collective instead of the DM shouldering all the costs. It's a cheap night's entertainment, and it keeps the options changing. After a few nights with a few players, you'd have quite a deck.

Treebore

First Post
My only question is, "How 4E is it?". I am not a big fan of 4E, so I know they use "4E Basic", but what does that mean?

The cards don't bother me because it looks like there is enough there I would never really need to buy any boosters.

I do have a hard time believing that simple rule book contains everything I need to know to play.

Seems like I might check this out after all.

Whats its price?

Remove ads