• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
I never got to meet Gary, but he had a profound effect on my life, never the less; through the game he created and popularized, I got to meet and know the woman with whom I've spent and gamed the last 24 years with.

For all the endless hours of fun (and D&D), I thank him.

My condolences to his family.

To those already in The Afterlife, I say "Beware! A Dungeon Master is about to arrive!"

HRG

First Post
All I can say is that once upon a time there was an awkward little kid who started 4th grade at a new school, and without Gary's wonderful game, that little kid would have had a much harder time making friends. As it turns out, after rolling dice all weekend in a drafty garage in the fall of 1982, that kid made a few friends after all. They don't play quite as often anymore, but every one of them remains close friends to this very day.

Thanks, Gary.

fuindordm

Adventurer
Thank you

I can't find the words to express my sadness on hearing the news.
But for some reason, I was inspired to create this...

Godspeed, Gary, and thank you for touching our lives.

Attachments

• EinsteinGygaxGame.jpg
    EinsteinGygaxGame.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Rashak Mani

First Post
I haven't posted here in ages... but I felt I needed to give my condolences to the family and to the hobby itself.

One of the creators of D&D died... very sad

Merova

First Post
This news breaks my heart. I can't begin to describe how great an influence Gary has had upon my life. Although I was born with the capacity to imagine, Gary gave me the tools with which I could spin these ephemeral fantasies into stories to share with others. Because of this gift, my life has been changed for the better. Nearly three decades later, this gift continues to bring joy and passion into my life.

Thank you, Gary. Rest in peace.

V_Shane

First Post
Thank you Gary for creating an enigma that will last through the ages. The tomes of magic that humanity will discover in the far future will be the D&D concept you pioneered.
Thank you for all your magic and imagination that fueled my fire and helped inspire me on to create the art I do today.
I always wanted to work for TSR and knocked myself out in High school practicing everyday to become as good as D&D had become. I may not ever reach the level even of the late TSR artist Keith Parkinson, but I live the life of a freelance illustrator because of my passion for fantasy art set in motion by the first D&D game I ever played at 9 years old (I was a hobbit thief). I raise my ancient dice (from the original game) in your honor Gary. May the best work out for your family, and you be honored for centuries among the gaming pioneers.
Games with which us humans would go insane without.

Remove ads