Geek Confessional Thread 2024

Arnie_Wan_Kenobi

Aspiring Trickster Mentor
Here's my big one: The Lego X D&D crossover SHOULD be everything to me, but I just can't pull the trigger on it (and believe me, impulse buys are NOT the issue). The build, the aesthetics, the minifigures themselves...everything just seems varying degrees of "Off." I had enough LEGO VIP points to get the adventure in print, and nothing jumped out as "WOW!" to play/run. I do wonder if my opinion would be different if the characters were recognizable (Raistlin and Tasslehoff or Strongheart and Elkhorn or Hank and Diana or even Edgin and Holga).

I have been judge-y and condescending to media I don't like at the time and its fans (e.g. Jar-Jar Binks) and I feel guilty for that behavior.

The only thing I like less than playing most video games is  watching someone else pay video games. Actual play videos do nothing for me.

The same can be said for TTRPG actual play.

Like @Reynard , I'm not reading a ton of comics right now (and not for lack of trying, but nothing is holding my interest). But, I am finding something to read so I can support my FLCS. Right now it's What If...? Aliens. I tend to gravitate to limited series by publishers out of the big two (Aliens being an exception, but that will always be Dark Horse in my heart). Or, as my spandex-fan buddies say, "That weird indie stuff."

I've lost interest in the MCU and whatever DC is doing, but I also don't care a ton about small screen stuff like The Boys or its spinoffs, or similar shows (Invincible is just ok.) The only reason I keep Netflix is Somebody Feed Phil.

Ok. Enough grousing. For all of these, I get why they have fans and more power to those fans! It's fine if it's "fun for thee, just not for me." I'm still both hopeful and excited for the direction D&D is going, and Paizo (Starfinder 2nd!) and EVERYTHING Free League is doing, the OSR, 3rd party stuff... and that's not considering the backlog of stuff from the last 50 years I'll never get around to looking at. What time to be alive.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I’ve never liked Erol Otus’ art. Didn’t n the ‘70s, don’t know. Space given to him one books I read is always opportunity lost.
I did the frown face, but, you know, I get it. Nostalgia likely boosts Otus in my estimation, but I just love the old-school weird D&D aesthetic is captures. DCC books are a bit much, especially their maps. But, darn if it doesn't tickle my inner 70s to 80s era child. But I really wouldn't want my otus chunky peanut butter mixed into my 5e milk chocolate. I also really like the 5e artwork, though I often feel that isn't the popular take in EN World threads discussing D&D art.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
My 2024 Enworld-specific geek confession is that my EN World personality is quite a bit different than my IRL personality when it comes to the hobby. IRL I'm exceptionally laid back and loose in my gaming. I'm sure that I would have no issues playing in games run by those I've had lengthy debates with in these threads.

But I love engaging in drawn out geeky discussions that start with "hey, new 5e art, what do you think" and lead to hundreds of posts that meander through the history of fantasy art; when spectacles were first invented; whether the depiction of magic in a piece of art hews to rules as written; and what aging, fashion, and body modifications would look like in a medium-to-high fantasy world.

And it isn't a proper EN World discussion until there are descriptivism vs prescriptivism grammar debates, citations to the OED, and discussions of a word's etymology.

Would be nice if some folks wouldn't take this all so seriously, however. And on my end, I need to be cognizant that my "humourous" takes and ribbing can easily cross the line into goading and trolling.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I did the frown face, but, you know, I get it. Nostalgia likely boosts Otus in my estimation, but I just love the old-school weird D&D aesthetic is captures. DCC books are a bit much, especially their maps. But, darn if it doesn't tickle my inner 70s to 80s era child. But I really wouldn't want my otus chunky peanut butter mixed into my 5e milk chocolate. I also really like the 5e artwork, though I often feel that isn't the popular take in EN World threads discussing D&D art.
Oh, sure. I’m like that too, just with other artists. I recognize those nostalgic emotions, and also the willingness to enjoy various styles, each in its place.

Zardnaar

Legend
I find the near constant negativity in fan spaces exhausting. Particularly in the RPG community, although we are far from unique in this aspect.

There are a lot of dislikes posted in this thread I agree with, many I don't . . . but understand where the criticisms come from. And a few I think are from crazytown, but I'm okay with that too.

But damn . . .

I think a lot of it is they may have messed the timelines up.

Show says Shady Sands and NCR collapsed 2277.

But FO: New Vegas is set after that with NCR intact.

A d New Vegas is generally considered the best FO or best of the Bethesda (obsidian developed it) ones anyway.

Show was really good but episode 6 could have just changed the date displayed by 5 years iirc no problem.

End sequence featured New Vegas.

pukunui

Legend
I think a lot of it is they may have messed the timelines up.

Show says Shady Sands and NCR collapsed 2277.

But FO: New Vegas is set after that with NCR intact.

A d New Vegas is generally considered the best FO or best of the Bethesda (obsidian developed it) ones anyway.

Show was really good but episode 6 could have just changed the date displayed by 5 years iirc no problem.

End sequence featured New Vegas.
Wrong thread?

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I am a grown man but I really like to fight.

If we can avoid combat, fine. If not, I am probably happier and look for my high rolling pink dice.

It’s pedestrian to some, boring to others but I still love kicking ass just like when I was a kid. You are over there relishing complicated political intrigue…I am over here hoping to crack skulls…

I like a lot of stuff other people bag on, like Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern and I don't get the hate it recieves.

I want all future D&D movies and TV to be for adults, not kids.

I think 5e is mechanically solid, the best edition mechanically, but with some exceptions like the Sundering and certain products its the worst edition lore wise.

I think the best way to get new fans for something, is not to dumb things down, but to appeal to hardcore fans, and use their enthuesism to draw new fans in.

I'm super happy Toronto featured in a Star Trek episode and that there is a USS Toronto, Parliament Class.

I've had to explain once or twice to Americans that when I say I live in the GTA I am in fact not talking about Grand Theft Auto.

I've read more X-Men novels and fan fiction then comic books.

I want a Forgotten Realms 4x game like Age of Wonders.

I want to see Starship Mage TV series.

I didn't like Chronicles of Darkness at first because it was so differenr from WoD, but now I realize CoD is vastly better horror and deeper setting.

I love Sci Fi - Fantasy ASMR videos.

I believe we will have real warp engines faster then folks think.

I love AI and using it (I understand the hate I will receive for this one).

The worst Star Trek is still better then the best Star Wars.

I liked the Arrowverse better then the Synderverse.

I want a rereboot of Charmed, but with the Charmed Ones being men.

I didn't like the Orville, but the ship is gorgeous. May give it another chance later.

I want the power to freeze time, but still vlbe able to do and explore stuff without aging.

Last edited:

Remove ads