• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gelatinous cube tpk

Nail

First Post
Notmousse said:
By RAW, I suppose. Logically, no.
I disagree. RAW probably says that a squeezed G^3 can only engulf 2 medium creatures.

Here's the text from the G^3 SRD:

"The gelatinous cube merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover."

Notmousse

First Post
But a cube is 10 by 10 by (get this) 10. So it should be able to engulf 8 5 by 5 by 5 medium creatures. Now squeezing into a 5 by (guessing here, but he mentioned nothing of ducking PCs so) 10 space it can still engulf 4 characters by placing the first two it engulfed into it's erm... higher cubicles.

SlagMortar

First Post
Grappling creatures share the same space. Assuming the G^3 can keep moving after enveloping then it could move right along gobbling up characters regardless of how many squares it is occupying. I'd have to check the grapple rules to see if there's a limit to the number of creatures that can participate in a single grapple.

Note, I like the abbreviation G^3. Good work, Nail! :)

RigaMortus2

First Post
Nail said:
It says "cover". That's not a volume measurement, it's a space measurement, Notmousse.

Hmmm... You sure about this? It is affecting as many (creatures) as it can cover. If I am engulfed inside a gel cube, am I not covered by it/in it?

It doesn't state that it can engulf as many (creatures) as it can cover with it's movement.

Nail

First Post
SlagMortar said:
Grappling creatures share the same space. Assuming the G^3 can keep moving after enveloping then it could move right along gobbling up characters regardless of how many squares it is occupying.
I'm not convinced the Engulf(Ex) ability allows you to "stack" people once they've been engulfed. :D As I read it, a G^3 can engulf a maximum of 4 medium sized creatures....but only 2 medium sized creatures if squeezed.

frankthedm

First Post
Nail said:
Interesting aside:

Can a squeezed G^3 actually fit 4 medium sized creatures into itself????
That mass has to go somewhere. If a G^3 is squeezing it is more of a G-rectangle. If any creature type could get around being slowed down by squeezing, it would be an ooze.

grectanglezw3.gif

These is some precedent that a grappled creature might be denied a reflex save, but it is not the same situation as the OP had.

Snatch [General]
Prerequisite
Size Huge or larger.

Benefits
The creature can choose to start a grapple when it hits with a claw or bite attack, as though it had the improved grab special attack. If the creature gets a hold on a creature three or more sizes smaller, it squeezes each round for automatic bite or claw damage. A snatched opponent held in the creature’s mouth is not allowed a Reflex save against the creature’s breath weapon, if it has one.

The creature can drop a creature it has snatched as a free action or use a standard action to fling it aside. A flung creature travels 1d6 × 10 feet, and takes 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet traveled. If the creature flings a snatched opponent while flying, the opponent takes this amount or falling damage, whichever is greater.

SlagMortar

First Post
I'm not convinced the Engulf(Ex) ability allows you to "stack" people once they've been engulfed.
I'm saying the G^3 doesn't have to stack them.

If three medium sized characters are all in a grapple together, they all occupy the same 5' x 5' cube.
If a large sized creature and two medium creatures are grappling, then they all occupy the same 10' x 10' cube. If three medium more creatures join the grapple, then all 6 (5 medium and 1 large) creatures still all occupy the same 10' x 10' cube.
If the large sized creature is a G^3, that doesn't change anything.

However, there may be some rules (which I can't look up right now) on how many creatures can be in a grapple at the same time. In that case, I think the number of creatures in a grapple is the determing factor, not how many squares the G^3 is occupying.

Remove ads