• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gelatinous cube tpk

Grog

First Post
Nail said:
:lol:

Excellent! Maybe they have a glass jaw.....

It'd be a hell of a way to assassinate someone - knock a black pudding unconscious, then mix a little bit of it into the target's dessert....

Primitive Screwhead said:
I can see the next OoTS now... "Roy?... there is this thing sneaking up behind you..no I don't know what it is. Its small and furry, sounds like its saying 'meow' but since I didn't put ranks in Kn: Nature I can't make the DC 11 to determine what it is!"
"But this - this, this, this is like being nibbled to death by... what are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet... go 'quack'..."
"Cats."
"Cats. Being nibbled to death by cats. "

RigaMortus2

First Post
Brother MacLaren said:
"But this - this, this, this is like being nibbled to death by... what are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet... go 'quack'..."
"Cats."
"Cats. Being nibbled to death by cats. "

By this analogy, are you suggesting that gel cubes are as common as a cat? ;)

I think I missed the joke :\

Last edited:

RigaMortus2

First Post
Notmousse said:
I wouldn't keep playing under a DM that did that to my party.

Well, we still don't know all the circumstances yet. Did the party just make really bad rolls which ended up getting them killed? If that happened, it's hardly the DMs fault. Although beefing the Str of the gel cube up might have had something to do with it too, can't say for sure.

Just curious, but what is it that the DM "did" to the party which would make you quit the game? Was it the mistakes he (may) have made, or the fact that he killed the party? I only ask because I see far too often people get upset when their character's die, or they feel the DM is "out to get them". I just have to laugh at that (as if dying isn't part of the game... it happens... deal with it people).

Jhulae

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
By this analogy, are you suggesting that gel cubes are as common as a cat? ;)

I think I missed the joke :\

It's from Babylon 5. The joke is that both of the characters in the conversation are Centauri (an alien race), and therefore, were 'unable to make their Knowledge checks' about ducks or cats.

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Well, we still don't know all the circumstances yet. Did the party just make really bad rolls which ended up getting them killed?
Like, for instance:

"Did the DM call for Spot checks for every PC, or just the front PC, or .....?"

and:

"When the front PC saw the "floating objects" in front of him, what did the DM allow the PC to do (if anything)? Roll initiative? Give a surprise round to the G^3?"

Etc.

Notmousse

First Post
I'll give the DM the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't know just how poorly he adjudicated the rules, but as a player I would've hollered about the following.

1) The Cube was squeezing. And AFAIK wasn't suffering any of the penalties for doing so.
2) The air is 'solid'? Seriously, I'd be pissed if that description ended up a monster unless I rolled amazingly low (even as a level 7 fighter) spot check. I don't care what the rules say, if there's an obvious tell like 'floating' objects, I'm going to call foul.
3) Denied a grapple check once engulfed. They have grapple stats for just that reason.
4) It had all four within it, which I can only assume happened in one round (if *I* saw the party get sucked up into the 'solid air' I'd be attacking from a decent range), which would be impossible.
5) The fireball TPKing everyone. Possibly the guy who decided to use the wand, but I would argue that the cube takes up all space around the wand isolating the wizard as well as the rest of the party.

And I think I would've smacked the wizard for not using say magic missile, 4d4+4 damage would've hurt it a bit without any risk to the rest of the party.

And after looking at the thing I'm surprised to say you can kill a cube with acid orbs.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Nail said:
Like, for instance:

"Did the DM call for Spot checks for every PC, or just the front PC, or .....?"

and:

"When the front PC saw the "floating objects" in front of him, what did the DM allow the PC to do (if anything)? Roll initiative? Give a surprise round to the G^3?"

Etc.

exactly

Nail

First Post
Notmousse said:
4) It had all four within it, which I can only assume happened in one round (if *I* saw the party get sucked up into the 'solid air' I'd be attacking from a decent range), which would be impossible.
Not if the G^3 had a surprise round and the PCs where all within a 5 foot square of the G^3! :)

(Squeezing halves movement. The G^3 Mv is 15 feet. The Engulf (Ex) ability is a standard action than includes movement.)

....or perhaps the G^3 wasn't spotted until it was adjacent to the first PC in the line, got the surprise round and engulfed the first PC, then won initiative (it does have a -5 Init mod, after all! :] ), then used a Standard action to move another 5 feet to engulf another PC, then.....

....then spent the next two rounds engulfing the next 2 PCs in line. Meanwhile the PCs just stood there and scratched their a$$e$. :lol: :lol: :heh:

Remove ads