D&D 5E Gem of Your Collection

Eirikrautha

First Post
Probably my 1st Ed Deities and Demigods with the Cthulhu & Nehwon mythos'.

That's the first thing I thought of when reading through this thread. I have 1st editions of just about all of the AD&D hardbacks, including that and the Fiend Folio.

Also, I've got 1st editions of Battletech, Mechwarrior, and all of the first round of mech books and house books. I've got a boxed copy of Rifts, a 1st edition of Palladium's TMNT, Beyond the Supernatural, and Robotech. I've even got a 1e WH40K book.

Funny thing is, I bought every one of them retail when they were released, no post-collecting. And played every one...

Schmoe

Adventurer
I had to log in to make my first post here, as I've managed to collect a few gems over the years.

I've owned 4 woodgrain box sets in my life (2 second prints and 2 thirds) and a shrinkwrapped orange B3, but I have to say my favorites are my Gary Gygax books. By that, I mean there was a special auction on eBay a few years ago shortly after Gary passed to help raise some money, and many of his personal books were auctioned off. I own his Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, and copy of I9, Tomb of the Lizard King (It's my favorite module). They are truly special pieces to me, and just thinking about him looking through them or looking at them sitting on his shelf is just awesome.

A close second is an autographed copy of S1, Tomb of Horrors, the green cover version. Inside it says "Happy Gaming...? Gary Gygax" and never fails to bring a smile to my face. I had the pleasure of meeting him and he was a friendly man with a great sense of humor. I would have liked to have gamed with him.

Anyway, thanks for the thread and I enjoyed reading about everyone's favorite items!

Zenfinite

That... that is tough to beat. In fact, I'm not even sure I'm worthy enough to quote this post.

I'd say I have two items that are the "gems" of my collection. Neither of them are probably worth a lot, but I love them nonetheless.

They are my set of four Encyclopedia Magica books and my Dragon Magazine #1-#250 CD set.

WayneW

First Post
My XMAS gift from my better half:

IMG_2758.jpg

(hex chests by Elderwood)

Evhelm

Explorer
Really, really tough to say what're the "gems" of my collection.

A brief self-history might be in order here: my parents (and grandfather before them) owned and ran a bookstore for 41 years (and would still if not for Amazon!), so I've always had a love of books. Ironically, because my parents always had access to the books from the store, they themselves never kept books at home. They would read a book, then take it back to the store and sell it as a used book. I...never took to that, but it was a struggle to let my parents keep books. (They're business-people and saw every book I kept home as a sale they could be making.) To this day, they have fewer than six books owned between them; a few chosen keepsakes of the bookstore-that-was.

As a kid, then, I had to justify buying books and keeping them. But, I managed to justify many, many D&D purchases in the 3e and early 4e days (with a few books and magazines I managed to find from previous eras). Below is a photo of the more pristine members of my collection; not all of them, but the most I could fit in one picture!

Sentimentally, my signed books (novels) by R.A. Salvatore, Ed Greenwood, and Keith Baker are absolute joys. In an era when I believed I would some day become a novelist myself, they patiently explained (as they had no doubt done endlessly before) how they entered the writing business, and what I, as an aspiring author, could do.

As far as usefulness, I have a bag of (probably) 300 or so assorted dice, but as a gift I received a complete set of dice in solid copper; they're weighty, beautiful, and fun to roll. I supplemented it with a (rare?) d3 and a silver quarter (d2). I've used these dice for over a decade, and I love using them still.

For overall boyish wonder, I'd have to go with the two 3e campaign settings. I've spent more happy hours looking at my Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and Eberron Campaign Setting than I would ordinarily admit. They've both beautiful, well-laid out, and endlessly inspiring books.

What a great thread this is :)

collection.jpg

gribble

Explorer
Tough to pick only one... but if I had to it'd probably be my collectors edition of Dark Heresy signed by an inquisitor in the book. The original was lost in shipping, so I got a low numbered replacement copy (#8 from memory).

Either that, or the original artwork of Wayne Reynolds tarrasque picture from I think the 3e DMG...

SoulsFury

Explorer
As far as the one I like to lovingly look through the most, is probably my Council of Wyrms book. I have others from the 2nd edition and before ere, but that is the main one that I made sure to keep out of storage. I need to grab those boxes next time I head to my moms so I can see what else I have. I know there were many complete books of series.

As far as 5th edition, with the slow releases, I have managed to pick up every D&D Next and 5th Edition book so far, so I am quite happy that I have a complete set of in print products. First time I've really been financially able, and interested enough in the game to do so. Looking at the shelf, its only 12 books, but hopefully I can keep up the trend with being able to afford it, and I hope the game keeps me just as interested as I am now.

dracomilan

Explorer
I guess the most prized gems are the Planescape Boxed Set, an italian first edition of West End Games Star Wars, the first english issue of the Star Wars Adventure magazine for the same SW D6 and some rare Dungeon Magazine issues.

I have fond gaming memories of Forgotten Realms Adventures, Pages from the Mages, The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook, the Menzoberranzan boxed set and Threats to the Nentir Vale (it was mentioned before - it is truly the hidden gem in 4e production era).

Remove ads