• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Gen Con] Dawn Patrol?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
For a long time, the longest-running event at GenCon was a big tournament for Dawn Patrol (also called Fight In The Skies, as I recall), the WWI fighter-plane game. Was there one this year? I haven't heard anything about this event for a long time, so I started to assume it had disappeared long ago.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I guess I'll have to assume that if nobody saw it there, then it must be long gone. That's kind of sad, really. All through the years, when I got the GenCon prereg booklet, it was kind of cool to see it listed year after year. Maybe they'll play it at the Milwaukee con Papa Gygax was touting a few days ago.

Voobaha

First Post
I played in the Dawn Patrol Game when I attended in 2000. I used to game DP with a group of hardcore guys here in St. Louis who have played the game since it was FITS. They are involved in running a small game convention called "Die Con" here in town.

I didn't go to Gen con this year, so I don't know if the game continued. I know they still play here in town and they probably know the guy who runs the Gen Con game. They are friends with the original FITS game designer and have contact with him. I could pass on contact info if you're interested.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
If you like this kind of thing, you might want to check out a game called Canvas Eagles ...there's a guy who runs a constant game of it at a local con here and it's a blast. It's played with little 3 dollar models of the fighter planes in question (they look awesome).

Eric Hotz was playing it at the con and I was tempted to get him to sign my old copy of High Colonies, but I was too shy!

How lame is that? I can carry on perfectly normal conversations with industry luminaries like Chris Pramas or (give him a little bump here) Joe Browning, but get all tongue tied around Eric Hotz.

Man, I guess early conditioning is a real phenomenon:)

Last edited:

Teflon Billy said:
How lame is that? I can carry on perfectly normal conversations with industry luminaries like Chris Pramas or (give him a little bump here) Joe Browning, but get all tongue tied around Eric Hotz.

Wow, first time I've been called a luminary. I suppose i'm only of the 20 watt variaty so far, however. :) Maybe, I'll grow up in a few years of good work to a solid 60 watter....

joe "feeling no pressure on the next book :)" b.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Voobaha said:
I played in the Dawn Patrol Game when I attended in 2000. I used to game DP with a group of hardcore guys here in St. Louis who have played the game since it was FITS. They are involved in running a small game convention called "Die Con" here in town.

I didn't go to Gen con this year, so I don't know if the game continued. I know they still play here in town and they probably know the guy who runs the Gen Con game. They are friends with the original FITS game designer and have contact with him. I could pass on contact info if you're interested.

No, that's OK. I was just curious; I'm very big on continuity. I think it's cool that it's still being played. I was recently cleaning out the garage, and found my copy of Dawn Patrol, still in remarkably good shape. That's why it was on my mind. Thanks for the post!

Y'know...if there was a way to tie DP into d20 (sorta like how GURPS did a RPG version of Car Wars), and get it back into print (I'm assuming it's been out of print for a long time), that'd be cool. I'm always a proponent of bringing some of the fixtures of the early days of RPGs back into the limelight. I know DP wasn't an RPG, but it was one of TSR's major games in the early days of D&D. Matter of fact, the edition of DP I have even calls itself an RPG. It's true, in a way, since pilots can get better and win medals.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Teflon Billy said:
If you like this kind of thing, you might want to check out a game called Canvas Eagles ...there's a guy who runs a constant game of it at a local con here and it's a blast. It's played with little 3 dollar models of the fighter planes in question (they look awesome).

Dang, TB, that's a great link.

Any idea where they get the models, or at least who makes 'em?

Teflon Billy

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:

Dang, TB, that's a great link.

Any idea where they get the models, or at least who makes 'em?

that's the thing man, you can use any of the little models available at any model shop...just decide on what scale you are going to use and be consistent.

I don;t know enough about models to tell you names or scales, but they are dead common, and the kits cost about 3 bucks Canadian.

those Telescoping Aerial stands though? your guess is as good as mine.

Cedric

First Post
I was tempted to get him to sign my old copy of High Frontiers, but I was too shy!

See...now here's a great example of the type of misunderstanding you get on message boards and in the internet about someone's character.

I would have never imagined that Teflon Billy would be too shy...for anything!

Oh well, live and learn...heh

Cedric

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Teflon Billy said:

that's the thing man, you can use any of the little models available at any model shop...just decide on what scale you are going to use and be consistent.

Man. So in other words, they're the Coolest. Gaming. Group. EVAR!

Remove ads