• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Gen Con] Dawn Patrol?

CarlZog

Explorer
Teflon Billy said:
I always wished there was more of a roleplaying element to Dawn Patrol.

I played a lot of Fight in the Skies, but not Dawn Patrol. When Dawn Patrol came out, I assumed it was just TSR doing everything they could to capitalize on the RPG fad. I always thought that role-playing was the big thing they had added to the game. If not, what the hell was the difference?

CZ

Teflon Billy

Explorer
CarlZog said:

I played a lot of Fight in the Skies, but not Dawn Patrol. When Dawn Patrol came out, I assumed it was just TSR doing everything they could to capitalize on the RPG fad. I always thought that role-playing was the big thing they had added to the game. If not, what the hell was the difference?

CZ

There was, to my recollection, no rp at all in the game. so I have no idea what they added.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I'd never gotten a chance to see an actual copy of Fight in the Skies. I always assumed Dawn Patrol was just a renamed, updated version. Anyone know the real deal?

Anyway, DP is pretty much just a WWI aerial combat game. The RPG elements in it are extremely rudimentary, as I mentioned above. Just some stuff about downed pilots (most of it is dealt with by way of a single roll of d6 to see if he survives or escapes), and some info about how pilotscan gain some medals. Beyond that, nothing about it is a roleplaying game.

CarlZog

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:
I'd never gotten a chance to see an actual copy of Fight in the Skies. I always assumed Dawn Patrol was just a renamed, updated version. Anyone know the real deal?

Well, it turns out you're right. I've found the designer's (Mike Carr) website: www.dawnpatrol.org

On it, he says that Dawn Patrol was mostly a repackaged version of Fight in the Skies -- better art, more marketable name, etc. It sounds like there are still a good number of people playing.

CZ

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads