General DCC RPG thread

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Same. DCC RPG's settings, while rare, have all been exciting. And the Purple Planet was out of print by the time I even knew it existed.
Exactly the same for me. By the time I came around to DCC, Purple Planet was already astronomically expensive on the second-hand market if you could even find it.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Speaking as a dude who's been playing DCC RPG since launch I find it great that they are reprinting these titles with added stuff. But, speaking as somebody who's been playing since launch and backed the original campaigns for Purple Planet and the original Grimtooth collection it is a little annoying that I now own lesser versions of both those products for my trouble. Not a huge deal, and certainly not exclusive to DCC, and I bear no ill will. But it does sting a bit.

Jack Hooligan

Explorer
I know Goodman is collecting DCC adventures in those hardback tomes, but tbh, I prefer the slim profile of the $10 adventures individually. There’s quite a few in PDF only atm… The One Who Watches From Below, Doom of the Savage Kings, The Queen of Elfland’s Son, etc.

Any idea if they’re gonna be reprinted as stand-alone adventures?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I know Goodman is collecting DCC adventures in those hardback tomes, but tbh, I prefer the slim profile of the $10 adventures individually. There’s quite a few in PDF only atm… The One Who Watches From Below, Doom of the Savage Kings, The Queen of Elfland’s Son, etc.

Any idea if they’re gonna be reprinted as stand-alone adventures?
My understanding is that they'll only be reprinted in those hardbound books going forward. It's got to be quite costly to keep thousands of copies each of all those modules in print. They're up to something like 50+ just for main line DCC. Another 15+ for MCC. Another 10+ for Dying Earth. Another ~20 for Lankhmar. It might not be ideal, but it's also cost effective. Instead of shelling out $70 for seven modules you're getting those seven modules (with whatever updates they've done over the years) in a hard cover for $50.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm honestly surprised they've reprinted the individual adventures as long as they have. They moved their 3E adventures into collected editions faster than they have their DCC ones.

Jack Hooligan

Explorer
My understanding is that they'll only be reprinted in those hardbound books going forward. It's got to be quite costly to keep thousands of copies each of all those modules in print. They're up to something like 50+ just for main line DCC. Another 15+ for MCC. Another 10+ for Dying Earth. Another ~20 for Lankhmar. It might not be ideal, but it's also cost effective. Instead of shelling out $70 for seven modules you're getting those seven modules (with whatever updates they've done over the years) in a hard cover for $50.
Thanks for the confirmation that the reprints are going hardback. Guess I’ll be on the hunt for the original modules. That hunt can be fun itself. Cheers!

Jack Hooligan

Explorer
So... I'm looking over the DCC module list and have decided I want 2 modules at each level. I'm kinda torn on level three though. Of these four, would y'all have any recommendations on a specific two?
  • The Sea Queen Escapes
  • Jewels of the Carnifex
  • The Croaking Fane
  • Bride of the Black Manse

Thanks!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
So... I'm looking over the DCC module list and have decided I want 2 modules at each level. I'm kinda torn on level three though. Of these four, would y'all have any recommendations on a specific two?
  • The Sea Queen Escapes
  • Jewels of the Carnifex
  • The Croaking Fane
  • Bride of the Black Manse

Thanks!
It’s a good short list. All by Harley or Curtis. Those two always do great stuff.

I’d definitely pick Carnifex as it’s the only Harley on the list. He does great gonzo adventures.

I’d go with Croaking of the other three. I haven’t any reason beyond it’s talked about more often.

In the OP, or early on in the thread, I posted some articles about loose APs you could form with the modules GG has put out. Those might be of interest to help you decide.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I also recommend the horror adventures as a category. DCC does its splattery flavor of horror well and the ones I've played through (for sure the one where you're trapped aboard a boat with a thing, and others I can't recall at the moment) have been good.

Remove ads