General DCC RPG thread

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I also recommend the horror adventures as a category. DCC does its splattery flavor of horror well and the ones I've played through (for sure the one where you're trapped aboard a boat with a thing, and others I can't recall at the moment) have been good.
That one is DCC Horror 01 Creep, Skrag, Creep.

Though not all of them are listed, you can find the category here:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
That one is DCC Horror 01 Creep, Skrag, Creep.

Though not all of them are listed, you can find the category here:

I managed to "win" Creep, Skrag, Creep at GenCon Online during the pandemic and it was at least as tense as an Alien cinematic RPG adventure was a year later. Very fun adventure, although some players might object to the monster being unkillable.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I managed to "win" Creep, Skrag, Creep at GenCon Online during the pandemic and it was at least as tense as an Alien cinematic RPG adventure was a year later. Very fun adventure, although some players might object to the monster being unkillable.
Yeah. Some players bounce off horror of any kind hard. I had someone I game with regularly tell me they'd rather intentionally kill their character than go through that module. This coming from someone who likes to lovingly craft characters and character builds from 1-20 before even starting the game.

Jack Hooligan

Explorer
This "Creep, Skrag, Creep" adventure sounds pretty cool. How tonally different is the "horror" line from regular DCC? I mean, should I run players through only the horror line or can you intertwine horror with standard adventures.

While, I've got you here...thoughts on the upcoming Purple Planet adventure? As i posted on reddit:

I'm on the fence, but leaning... no.

I don't enjoy making up my own adventures, but sometimes tweaking existing. I think this only has an adventure or two in it, but starting at Level 4? Since I don't really need the setting material, it's gonna be a lot of cash for a level 4 adventure.

And as stated, I'm not such a fan of the direction of going with hardbacks.

However, the setting looks awesome! I think I'd really like to play a few levels of Purple Planet adventures. I think in an ideal world, I'll be able to find the individual adventures from the original box on the second hand market. Maybe they'll come down when this hardback drops?

Either way, I'll be tuning in to see what all the campaign offers. I hope it does well for Goodman, even if this particular product might not be for me.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This coming from someone who likes to lovingly craft characters and character builds from 1-20 before even starting the game.
I have a hard time imagining a character planning type liking DCC at all, honestly. But this module had a brutal survival rate, even for DCC, until we realized what we'd gotten ourselves into.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This "Creep, Skrag, Creep" adventure sounds pretty cool. How tonally different is the "horror" line from regular DCC? I mean, should I run players through only the horror line or can you intertwine horror with standard adventures.
I've never played the high level DCC adventures, where things get gonzo, but the high lethality of lower-level DCC means, to me, that horror is a pretty natural area for campaigns to stray into. The difference between a zero level funnel and splatterpunk horror is often just one of tone.

The intro adventure for the Shudder Mountains, for instance, isn't labeled as a horror adventure, but involves a slaughtered village, ritual sacrifice to some sort of harvest god and near-certain death. (I played it, but didn't run it.) It went through our group like a buzzsaw.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I've never played the high level DCC adventures, where things get gonzo
How are you meaning gonzo here? Because, for me, the gonzo of baseline DCC is one of the main draws. There are 0-level funnels that take you to other planes and dimensions. You have things like androids, time travel, gods that make personal requests of no-name characters, talking swords, crashed spaceships, aliens, robots, etc. in the early game as well. So maybe we're using gonzo differently?

I think you could absolutely safely intertwine both horror and regular DCC adventures, depending on which ones you pick. The line between the two is often just a matter of degrees. Looking at Appendix N, the line between genres was thin back then, and that influences DCC quite a bit.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
How are you meaning gonzo here? Because, for me, the gonzo of baseline DCC is one of the main draws. There are 0-level funnels that take you to other planes and dimensions. You have things like androids, time travel, gods that make personal requests of no-name characters, talking swords, crashed spaceships, aliens, robots, etc. in the early game as well. So maybe we're using gonzo differently?
We're not. It's just that funnels might have gonzo elements in them, but players' experiences of that is limited, as their characters' heads are being separated from their bodies. The gonzo-ness is more visible at higher levels, when you can hang out in a city of space wizards or climb around in a skyscraper-sized robot without constantly being prepared to reach for a new character sheet.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
We're not. It's just that funnels might have gonzo elements in them, but players' experiences of that is limited, as their characters' heads are being separated from their bodies. The gonzo-ness is more visible at higher levels, when you can hang out in a city of space wizards or climb around in a skyscraper-sized robot without constantly being prepared to reach for a new character sheet.
Huh. Then it’s an experience difference. My experience with DCC is loaded with gonzo right from the start. That’s not saved for later levels. All that stuff I mentioned, and what you’ve said here, are all 0-level, 1st-level, etc experiences. The player’s the one experiencing the gonzo elements, how long their character lasts is irrelevant.

Remove ads