General Discussion Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xael

First Post
Patlin said:
Thanks! I'm pondering a new one, but I'm not sure how soon I can get the proposal out. Sounds like most of the crew from Bandit Camp are interested in M3 (and so am I, but my characters are all otherwise engaged.) Perhaps I can get the proposal out in time to snag Iggy and Sarah, the only two higher level characters who have said for sure they won't be heading that way.

'Course, Rystil will probably beat me to the punch if I'm not quick!
Well, if you're aiming your adventure to the "high"-level types, Nezrak can probably wait. And I have a new 1st-level Human Barbarian pending approval at the moment. But if there will be 3 adventures meant for "high"-level characters soon, then I'm not sure if there will be very many characters to join each one. In fact, they might actually all just gang at the first one. :D

Patlin

Explorer
Xael said:
Well, if you're aiming your adventure to the "high"-level types, Nezrak can probably wait. And I have a new 1st-level Human Barbarian pending approval at the moment. But if there will be 3 adventures meant for "high"-level characters soon, then I'm not sure if there will be very many characters to join each one. In fact, they might actually all just gang at the first one. :D

Didn't mean to suggest it was aimed at higher levels in particular. Mostly just thinking that Manzanita can't DM and play in the same game, so Iggy's stuck, and Sarah's agreed to be stuck with him. Of course, KB also said she's overcomitted at the moment, so this "problem" may not actually need a solution.

I'll keep my options open, and my next one won't discourage 1st level characters the way Bandit Camp did. I'm thinking something involvig water...

Xael

First Post
Patlin said:
I'll keep my options open, and my next one won't discourage 1st level characters the way Bandit Camp did. I'm thinking something involvig water...
Okay, then I'll save my barbarian for that one and toss Nezrak in whatever adventure arrives to the Inn first.

The barbarian can actually swim and has already more Hit Points than Nezrak... :D

Velmont

First Post
Xael said:
Actually, I think that Velmont's character Rinaldo just reached 6th level, and is about to become the first LEW character to take a Prestige Class level. :)

Well, that would be too great, but the level 6 is still far. I need 3025 xp, and that's after the xp from Patlin's game. But still, I think Rinaldo is the only 5th level character of all LEW.

So, I cross my fingers so it happen after the next adventure, but considering what I've got with M2 and I will surely do M3, it should happen... and will become the first (?) character with a PrC... :) and after that, and next thing after that, get a shop...

So I'll have to make all the proposition related to that to be approved soon...

orsal

LEW Judge
Jdvn1 said:
So, 6-8 seems about normal? With gaining 2-3 levels in that time or so? And no one's completed more than two adventures?

Edit: Hm, some have gone much longer. 8 as an average, then.

Closer to one level per adventure, I think.

As far as time to level... let's take a look at the characters on the first page of the character thread. Created around late August / early September '03. The following, I think, are still active in LEW.

Rinaldo: just completed his 4th adventure, currently 5th level.

Troi: on his 5th adventure, currently 4th level. (Read his log!)

Gur Chuck-Chuck (is he still active?): 3rd level.

Devlin: 3rd level.

Katherine DeSylvia: 2nd level. KB did take an extended hiatus, so she hasn't been active for the whole 2 years, though.

Sara: ditto on the extended hiatus. 3rd level. She's mostly adventured with Iggy, so is that 4 adventures, 2 aborted and 2 completed?

Iggy: 4 adventures, 2 aborted and 2 completed, now 3rd level.

In summary: it varies. If the DM and all the players are with it, you can get a pretty comprehensive adventure in, with lots of XP opportunities, in 6-8 months and level at least once, maybe twice in that time. Example: Manzanita's story arc. Four of us, all created in March '04, are now all 4th level because of it. Credit to Manzanita, of course, but also to the players. We've all been responsible about letting each other know if we weren't going to be posting regularly, so the game kept moving.

On the other hand, you can also have a stop-and-go adventure if people involved (especially the DM) don't keep things moving. At the end of 6-8 months you might have completed one combat encounter, lost a few players due to disinterest, and then decide to abort the adventure. Part of the reason Heroes of the Vesper Peaks has been running so long is that it's been going in spasms.

Xael

First Post
Velmont said:
Well, that would be too great, but the level 6 is still far. I need 3025 xp, and that's after the xp from Patlin's game. But still, I think Rinaldo is the only 5th level character of all LEW.
Ah, then I remembered wrong. Oh well, Rinaldo is the only 5th level character in LEW. And frighteningly effective with his sneak attack.

For a merchant. :D

Erekose13

Explorer
Lets see,
In LEW:
-Tenebrynn, created March 2004, Finished: M1 (6mo), M2 (part 1) (9mo total), M2 (part 2), Attack on the Bandit Camp (2mo). So 4 really. He is half way to 5th level.
-ao'Thuir, created Oct. 2003, Stalled: GWs Pirate one (a long long time), Curse of House Thimbrall (4 mo and counting), 2nd level.

Outside LEW:
Completed games ranged from 3 months to well over a year.
Failed games ranged from about the same time.
Current games are well ongoing, the longest so far 1.5 years.

Velmont

First Post
Yeah, I have 3 characters, but two are pretty recent and one there first quest and still at 0 xp, so my only experienced chracter is Rinaldo. His evolution have been:

Creation:
I don't remember, it was before august 22nd 2003, as it has been at that moment his first adventure started.

Adventure:
Trek to Vinyard: 1575 xp, 2 months -> 787 xp/month*level
A Merry Chase 4017 xp, 10 months -> 201 xp/month*level (And that
The Search for Goblin HQ: 4914 xp, 8 months -> 176 xp/month*level
Attack on the Bandit Camp: 1469 xp, 2 months -> 147 xp/month*level

So, as you see, progression can be very different.

Patlin, sorry to tell you that, but you havn't done the fasted adventure. It is Uriel who has the award presently, as far as I know. Trek to the Vinyard have been less than two months (beat you by 2 days... from first post to xp award), and the thread is longer than yours. I think the first group was a motivated one who was posting a lot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads