General Discussion

DalkonCledwin

First Post
A friend of mine suggested I run a Paladin with the following three Achetypes: Hospitaler (APG), Oath of Charity (Ultimate Magic), and Sacred Servant (APG). The question that arises (and hence why I need approval from the judges for this) is as follows:

Sacred Servant and Hospitaler both modify Smite Evil. However in both cases the modification is identical and the ability is still called Smite Evil in both instances.

Additionally, Sacred Servant modifies Divine Bond in such a way that the ability retains the name "Divine Bond" however Oath of Charity replaces the original Divine Bond of the default Paladin.

The question that arises then is this: Can Hospitaler and Sacred Servant coexist? And can Oath of Charity overwrite the Divine Bond modification of Sacred Servant in the same way that it overwrites the Divine Bond of the Default Paladin? In otherwords, can I take all 3 Archetypes?

Please note, this is in reference to my proposed replacement for Tonris.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
The rules are pretty clear.
A character can take more than one archetype and garner additional alternate class features, but none of the alternate class features can replace or alter the same class feature.

Sacred Servant will not work with Oathbound (Charity). Sacred Servant will not work with Hospitaler. You cannot take those three archetypes together. Sorry, but you're going to have to go back to the drawing board.

DalkonCledwin

First Post
Question for the judges (and I am fully expecting the answer to be a flat out "no"), but can I introduce my replacement for Tonris in the Dunn Wright Inn as a Non-Player Character until such time as Tonris is ready to be retired? Meaning she won't gain experience, and won't go on adventures. I am merely thinking of her as a scenery and exposition device until such time as Tonris is ready to be retired.

And this is assuming I get her finished up before my current adventure with Tonris is finished.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I have role-played NPCs in the DWI in the past. There is some precedent for this. The issue of him turning the NPC into a Player Character later should not really matter.

I have no objection.

Remove ads