• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

DalkonCledwin

First Post
I hope its okay, but I have a friend (Korsakovia) who I am helping to create a character. His character should be done in a few days. He takes a great deal more time to finish his characters than I usually do myself, so I have been trying to help him along where possible to expedite the process. I hope this doesn't cause any complications for the judges?

He had wanted to join before but we never got around to finishing that original character and I ended up taking the character design that we had been working on for him instead, so he is currently working on a new character design, a life oracle that is fairly unique to him.

Qik

First Post
Thanks for the head's up, DC, but of course it's okay. People are welcome to take as much time as they'd like to fashion their characters, be they old or new.

If I remember correctly, Satin Knights' Arianna took many moons and iterations to finalize.

Glad to hear there's a newbie on the way! We've had a few of them in the last month or two who seem to be sticking, which is nice.

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
That'd be due to the velco clothing we give them as part of the initiation, they're kinda stuck to the velco padded walls. ;)

Just kidding. Seriously, good to see new faces around. :) And to keep seeing them around.

And GlassEye...I actually played Copacabana last night, while I was playing WoW no less. It's fun tromping through Durotar in bear form to that song. :)

I can do Sinatra, Mel Torme....I can also do more 'modern' stuff. 11 years of voice training will do that. :D

DalkonCledwin

First Post
I have a rules question... with regard to Tonris, I know that my characters familiar has the ability to deliver touch spells. However the question is, can my character deliver touch spells by utilizing his witches hex of prehensile hair to touch an enemy that is up to 10 feet away from him?

jkason

First Post
So, I'm looking at trying to get the Trapfinding class feature for my ninja character, since without it he'll eventually be pretty useless against traps once they start being magical. Some perusing of similar threads out there suggested that a level-dip in a non-Rogue archetype is the only way to manage that. The Ranger Trapper archetype seems to be the least impactful option (only requires one level).

I'm definitely holding off on that until Ru's third level, since I don't want to delay access to his Ki pool if I can avoid it. At 3rd, though, I'm hoping to mix archetypes to minimize his accumulating class features he won't get as much use out of. Wild Empathy is the big one, though I'd like to take a more adaptable version of Favored Enemy while I'm at it.

There are only really three archetypes that trade off Wild Empathy. Falconer gives him an animal companion that will never get stronger. Similarly, Nirmathi Irregular gives him a bonus that won't grow enough to actually ever be a bonus.

That leaves Trophy Hunter. I think the ability is useful, and while not a big foresty type, a spy/infiltrator like Ru could logically find use in being able to assess opponents before he's actually caught sight of them, so I think it meshes decently with his current flavor. There are, however, two wrinkles with it.

First, later-level features of the archetype involve grit / firearms. I'm only planning a 1 level dip, so Ru wouldn't even have to worry about replacing those, but I could see someone making an argument that allowing the archetype at all could make a mess if someone else comes along wanting to take multiple levels and says "but he got to do it!"

Secondly, the 4th level ability for Trophy Hunter trades out Hunter's Bond. I'd been looking at Guide or Freebooter (a ninja pirate? heck yes! ;) ). At 1st level, there's no overlap, but both of those archetypes also have a hunter's bond swap at 4th level. As with the firearms stuff, I wasn't sure how problematic it would be to allow the overlap for the level dip since the intersection would never take place.

The second question may be moot based on responses to the first, but decided to be optimistic and throw it all in there. :)

Remove ads