General Discussion

Qik

First Post
Hmm. Second question first: while I can think of situations where I'd like to benefit from allowing a combination of archetypes which conflict later on down the line as long as one commits to avoiding that point of conflict, I don't see that getting approved for LPF. I take that rule for archetype use to be a balance issue, in that the developers are conscious of what conflicts with what in an effort to prevent overpowerful combinations (although a brief visit to the Paizo boards suggests that the developers may not be so considerate at times...). With that in mind, I'd be hesitant to get on board with allowing archetypes which have any kind of conflict, even though I can empathize with why you'd want to do it in this instance.

I'd be hesitant with approving the Trophy Hunter, too, for similar reasons (which you yourself expressed). The ol' Can of Worms theory.

On the plus side, the Trapper at least stacks with the Guide and the Freebooter.

Too bad the Crypt Breaker doesn't stack with the Vivisectionist, otherwise you could keep your sneak attack progression going.

The poor Rogue is increasingly rendered obsolete at every turn...

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
Honestly, I have half a mind to propose rogue be a full BAB class in LPF. That would mitigate at least some of the problems.

While I understand the point of what jk wants from Trophy Hunter, I was working under the assumption that all gunsling-y sort of stuff was a no-no. Otherwise, combining two archetypes that don't play well together is on the player, in my opinion. If you, for example, take one ranger archetype that swaps out favoried enemy, and a second ranger archetype that works off of favored enemies, then you have no one but yourself to blame if you get to 4th level and your character sucks. In my opinion. Which may have something to do with alcohol at this particular moment.

jkason

First Post
The poor Rogue is increasingly rendered obsolete at every turn...

From my perspective, I'm not sure letting other people get Trapfinding ruins Rogues any more than letting the Witch be a prepared arcane caster with a mobile Intelligent spellbook ruins the Wizard. Or doling out Channeling to Paladins screws over Clerics.

Then again, I'm probably the wrong person to ask. The Rogue is no less shiny to me now than it ever was, but the 'mundane' classes have never been all that shiny to me. For purely subjective reasons, I'm always wanting some level of 'fantastic' in my fantasy characters. I think I've previously tried rogues and barbarians maybe twice, and at least once each they were actually multi-classed to a casting class. So, my ability to comment on what used to make the Rogue Special is admittedly limited. ;)

Honestly, I have half a mind to propose rogue be a full BAB class in LPF. That would mitigate at least some of the problems.

Does that rob the other full BAB classes of their 'special,' then? Again, not being drawn to them, I'm not sure what dulls their shine, as it were.

While I understand the point of what jk wants from Trophy Hunter, I was working under the assumption that all gunsling-y sort of stuff was a no-no.

Gun stuff definitely is. Oddly enough, Trophy Hunter didn't make it to the list of banned Archetypes in the wiki, but I partially wasn't sure if that was an oversight, or just because some of its features call on banned feats, so banning the feats was assumed to be sufficient.

The overlap stuff is probably me asking for an exception, though as I said the first question easily makes the second moot. RAW doesn't seem to care how many levels you plan to take in archetypes; if they swap the same feature anywhere, you're not technically supposed to be able to combine them. I suppose I wondered if folks felt like Qik did (the overlap is intentional because none of the feature sets are meant to combine) or if the balance element was exclusive to the overlapping feature (e.g they were only really concerned that Hunter's Bond swaps not combine, and the other features weren't necessarily in consideration).

Systole

First Post
FI suppose I wondered if folks felt like Qik did (the overlap is intentional because none of the feature sets are meant to combine) or if the balance element was exclusive to the overlapping feature (e.g they were only really concerned that Hunter's Bond swaps not combine, and the other features weren't necessarily in consideration).

I think all you have to do is look at the way Paizo has handled traits to realize that the game designers don't fully think through any of the add-ons they've made.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Gun stuff definitely is. Oddly enough, Trophy Hunter didn't make it to the list of banned Archetypes in the wiki, but I partially wasn't sure if that was an oversight, or just because some of its features call on banned feats, so banning the feats was assumed to be sufficient.

It's not an oversight. It falls under the category of 'related firearms feats/archetypes/weapons' and so is banned. At the time since we were a bit pressed for time we made an inclusive statement rather than list out every bit that involved firearms.

jkason

First Post
It's not an oversight. It falls under the category of 'related firearms feats/archetypes/weapons' and so is banned. At the time since we were a bit pressed for time we made an inclusive statement rather than list out every bit that involved firearms.

I think when I first looked at the UC page, since there are a couple of archetypes listed individually, I got it in my head that the list was / might be inclusive. Which, honestly, was probably a combination of wishful thinking and willful ignorance on my part. Apologies if that caused consternation; I really should have had my head on straighter there.

No Trophy Hunter solves the second dilemma pretty easily, since there's no longer a conflict. Now I just have to decide if I want to propose the Freebooter Archetype for inclusion or not. I mean, really: Ninja Pirate. How can I not be tempted? ;)

DalkonCledwin

First Post
I am kind of curious, I currently have 3 DM Credits, and was wondering by how much that amount of DM Credits would be able to boost either Fae'shiel's or Tonris' levels or a combination of the two of them respectively... I am wondering because I kind of would like to level them both up, but am not sure if it is a good idea or if it would just be wiser to wait and level them both up normally.

Also I know that in both cases I am likely to wait till the end of my current adventures, unless the respective DM's say otherwise, but I am just tossing around idea's in my head and trying to think of what may or may not be possible.

Currently Tonris is somewhere around half-way to level 5 (give or take a little bit of experience), and Fae'shiel has just gained enough experience to reach level 3, possibly a little more than that by now. Any input in the matter would be appreciated.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I am kind of curious, I currently have 3 DM Credits, and was wondering by how much that amount of DM Credits would be able to boost either Fae'shiel's or Tonris' levels or a combination of the two of them respectively... I am wondering because I kind of would like to level them both up, but am not sure if it is a good idea or if it would just be wiser to wait and level them both up normally.

Also I know that in both cases I am likely to wait till the end of my current adventures, unless the respective DM's say otherwise, but I am just tossing around idea's in my head and trying to think of what may or may not be possible.

Currently Tonris is somewhere around half-way to level 5 (give or take a little bit of experience), and Fae'shiel has just gained enough experience to reach level 3, possibly a little more than that by now. Any input in the matter would be appreciated.

The amount of XP/GP for each day of adventuring can be found here. Each DMC is worth 30 days of TXP/TGP for the current level of the character to whom it's applied. So for your third level character one DMC would get him 450 XP and 510 TGP. For the 5th level, one DMC would gain 840 TXP and 930 TGP. DMCs must be spent in whole increments - you can't spend part of a DMC.

We set it up so that at any given level it will take about 6 DMC to move up an entire level.

CoreyL

First Post
So seeing as how I've created a gnome from Tal Hallow, I've devoured all the info that I could find about the place on the wiki. What I am wondering is did that information come from an adventure? And if so, does anyone know what adventure that was so I could read through it?

Remove ads