General Discussion

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Yep, and that would be fine - no monetary advantage over buying upgrades to any other item in the Pearl. That doesn't throw off our wealth by level balance.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure there was a major discussion about it in the old social group. Which means it's probably lost in some general discussion thread and probably before we started the wiki.

Qik

First Post
Yeah, there's an adventure for level 1s approved. Rhydius had said that he was busy this week, so I imagine he'll starting recruiting for it sometime early next week.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Guess general rules questions go here.

The buckler question that dammitbiscuit proposed in Character Submissions.

As I read it (and haven't had a lot of people use it btw) is as follows.

Throwing a spear is a one handed attack correct? You get your STR bonus as damage but not 1.5 times the modifier.

So throwing a spear leaves you with your AC bonus and you incur no penalty as with using a bow or crossbow.

In melee is where it "gets in the way" - You get a -1 to attack and lose your AC bonus from it till the start of your next turn. When using both the spears and the great axe.

My advice is to change the spears to short spears and the shield to a light wooden one.

HM

sunshadow21

Explorer
Just got the Advanced Races book today, and I have to say I'm reasonably impressed. There's some good stuff for the races we already allow, especially the mermaid, which gets an alternate racial ability that grants a 15' land movement, and if we want to allow other races in the future, it gives a pretty good idea of what we can expect them to be like. The rules for custom races is actually a pretty small portion of the book.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Just got the Advanced Races book today, and I have to say I'm reasonably impressed. There's some good stuff for the races we already allow, especially the mermaid, which gets an alternate racial ability that grants a 15' land movement, and if we want to allow other races in the future, it gives a pretty good idea of what we can expect them to be like. The rules for custom races is actually a pretty small portion of the book.

Except the way it's written, it's not really an alternate trait - they didn't specify which of the existing (already fantastic) traits it replaces . . .

sunshadow21

Explorer
Except the way it's written, it's not really an alternate trait - they didn't specify which of the existing (already fantastic) traits it replaces . . .

It looked to me that they cut swim speed so that instead of 5' and 50' swim, it's 15' and 30' swim. Either way, I don't expect anything to be approved immediately. I was just saying that my initial impressions of the book was positive, and a few of things like that adjustment could very much help if it holds up to the scrutiny of examination.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
It looked to me that they cut swim speed so that instead of 5' and 50' swim, it's 15' and 30' swim. Either way, I don't expect anything to be approved immediately. I was just saying that my initial impressions of the book was positive, and a few of things like that adjustment could very much help if it holds up to the scrutiny of examination.

Yeah, I picked it up this morning and started flipping through - so far I like most of what I see.

I just happen to have a (strong, and previously expressed) bias against Mermaids as PCs. They seem grossly unbalanced (+6 Abilities w/ no penalty (vs. +2 net that includes a penalty for most races), +2 Natural Armor and immunity to trip, and the only drawback is their land speed). Removing that drawback at the cost of reducing their speed in their natural environment to what most land-lubbers already have in their own - especially when that reduction comes in an environment in which they will very rarely adventure outside of a specialized campaign? You've gotta be kidding! Might as well be free, IMO.

sunshadow21

Explorer
Yeah, I picked it up this morning and started flipping through - so far I like most of what I see.

I just happen to have a (strong, and previously expressed) bias against Mermaids as PCs. They seem grossly unbalanced (+6 Abilities w/ no penalty (vs. +2 net that includes a penalty for most races), +2 Natural Armor and immunity to trip, and the only drawback is their land speed). Removing that drawback at the cost of reducing their speed in their natural environment to what most land-lubbers already have in their own - especially when that reduction comes in an environment in which they will very rarely adventure outside of a specialized campaign? You've gotta be kidding! Might as well be free, IMO.

Hence the need for thorough examination. There are a lot of things that will need to be looked at closely on the non standard races.

Remove ads