• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

General Discussion

sunshadow21

Explorer
That is expected. The process tab list will show you services and background tasks as well. Pretty much anything ending in service.exe, svc.exe ss.exe is a background service. In that tab, expect anywhere from 60 to 150 processes that don't "show on the screen".

The Applications tab lists the things that are expected to show on the screen. That list is usually from 1 to 10 programs.

TaskManager is a minimal program. Download and install TaskInfo Home Page. Yes, you can use it for free by ticking the "for personal use" in the registration screen, but it is absolutely worth the $35. It will show you every bit of information that is available about processes. When it is running, it has a "restart in admin mode" in the upper right. That allows it to get even more information.

If you are sure you are running a program that should appear on the screen and it is not, also check your video settings. The machine may think you are running with two video displays and be opening half of the programs on the other screen you cannot see. :p

I understand that not every process will show up as an application, but things like Eve and Steam should, and they aren't. I'll try the TaskInfo, but right now, if it's not a bill, it's probably not worth $35 dollars. I'd be better off dumping the desktop and using the laptop for my computing needs, which I really don't want to do, because while it wouldn't effect my pbp games, it would basically kill any other computer games.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
a question on the combination of feats

ok, blunt and to the point:

I have the feat: spell specialization: fireball witch allows the spell to be cast at caster level +2.

do all meta magic feats still apply, such as elemental spell meta magic feat [acid] giving the same +2 cl bonus? I do realize that this won't apply unti H. can cast that level of spell. I am just exploring options here.

Systole

First Post
ok, blunt and to the point:

I have the feat: spell specialization: fireball witch allows the spell to be cast at caster level +2.

do all meta magic feats still apply, such as elemental spell meta magic feat [acid] giving the same +2 cl bonus? I do realize that this won't apply unti H. can cast that level of spell. I am just exploring options here.

Elemental Spell (Metamagic)
Benefit: Choose one energy type: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. You may replace a spell’s normal damage with that energy type or split the spell’s damage, so that half is of that energy type and half is of its normal type.
Level Increase: +1 (an elemental spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.)
Spell Specialization
Prerequisites: Int 13, Spell Focus.
Benefit: Select one spell of a school for which you have taken the Spell Focus feat. Treat your caster level as being two higher for all level-variable effects of the spell.
Yes, you can apply both to fireball. If you take Spell Specialization (Fireball), then every Fireball that Heinrich (5th level) casts is 7d6 instead of 5d6.

If you take Elemental Spell (Acid), then Heinrich can either cast a Fireball from a 3rd-level spell slot, and it will do 100% fire damage. Or he can memorize an Elemental Spell Fireball as a 4th level spell slot, and it will either be 50/50 acid/fire damage, or 100% acid damage. If he has Spell Specialization (Fireball), then the Fireballs will be 7d6. If not, then they will be 5d6.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Apologies - I didn't read the question carefully. I thought you were saying that both feats gave a +2 CL, and asking if the resulting CL would be +4.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Apologies - I didn't read the question carefully. I thought you were saying that both feats gave a +2 CL, and asking if the resulting CL would be +4.

no no no no ... ad infintium...!!!

just + 2 caster levels to fire ball [fire] cast as level 3 spell
cast now at 7 hd as he is level 5 caster
OR
fire ball [acid] 50/50 or 100% cast as level 4 spell
cast at level 7 for 9 die of damage as he is presently not able to cast level 4 spells.

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
Fireball: A fireball spell generates a searing explosion of flame that detonates with a low roar and deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to every creature within the area. Unattended objects also take this damage. The explosion creates almost no pressure.
  • 5th level caster, no feats: 5d6 fire, 3rd level spell slot
  • 5th level caster + Spell specialization: 7d6 fire, 3rd level spell slot
  • 5th level caster + elemental spell: 5d6 acid or acid/fire, 4th level spell slot
  • 5th level caster + elemental spell + Spell specialization: 7d6 acid or acid/fire, 4th level spell slot
However, the last two don't actually work because wth level slots are not available to a 5th level caster. And I don't know where your extra +2 dice are from.

Remove ads