• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Generation Legacy: Part Three

Shalimar

First Post
I would prefer AU but the biggest question at that point would be which character, Kelly or Clover. I would like to play Clover, but Kelly was part of a lot of major plot upheavals. Then again she was also super depressing to play at times, though her backstory could be changed to make her a happier person in an AU.

What PL were you thinking of starting wiith? I know there was a slight believability issue with Kelly being able to drop the whole world into an ice age in 6 seconds at PL 9.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Can we assume this is the route we'll go then? It is a good compromise between going with something new and keeping the old one going. If so, then this is what I'm thinking:

Core Assumptions:

The beginning of this game will correspond pretty much with the beginning of the original, with similar background:

Toki said:
The world of the Legacy Universe is one going through several changes, as the world adapts to the appearance of super-human beings with powers beyond the ken of normal mortals. World Governments have banned together to assess the threat that the Elites pose to normal humanity, or "baselines" as most people refer to non-powered humans.

Elites have been in existence since 2010, after the arrival of Ghenther's Comet, an unknown comet that passed through Earth space in the summer of 2010. The first documented elite was Michael McCoy, also known as Miracle, an elite capable of controlling the primal forces of the world to great effect. He was able to manipulate the Earth to create a barrier in order to shield himself from an out of control semi-truck. Since his appearance, elites have appeared consistently over the intervening ten years.

One of the best-known elites is the international hero, Paragon, an advocate for peaceful integration of elites and baselines. He is one of the most powerful elites on the planet and the team leader of Justice Elite, an international team of elites who work for the newly strengthened United Nations to protect baselines from elite threats. They do double duty as spokespeople and humanitarian throughout the world, with such efforts as the terraforming of the Sahara desert, and furthering study into the elimination of disease and cancer.

In general elites tend to be viewed with awe by most folks of the world, powerful beings who are capable of either great good, or even greater evil in the eyes of most baselines. They often make headlines, and live public lives if they do not maintain a secret identity.

PCs are teens, aged 15 through 19, having developed their abilities recently, and have joined the Mudaba Adin Institute for Elite Children to learn about their new power, be with those like them, or maybe because they were sent there, whatever.

Also, do what you like for a PC. No one is beholden to their old PCs if you want to go with something different. Make no assumptions as to who is important to what, why, when or where. To make the game fresh and interesting, all of that needs to be dropped.

Though things like will look similar on the surface, I've already got a good idea on how to change the fundamental structure of what's going on and why.

Of course, backgrounds, personality and motivations are most important in these games, but if you want to mess around with builds, I'm thinking an 80 point, PL 6 ceiling to start, with 40 points minimum going to the baseline build and then the rest going to adding the powers, feats, skills, stats or anything else enhanced by elite powers. You can use Ultimate Power if you have access, and in fact, I encourage that.

Last edited:

Shalimar

First Post
Would you be open to things from Hero High? Feats like Cool, Disarming, and Untapped Potential, or is that stuff out of bounds?

As a siide note I think I would like to go with Kelly although it would be a Kelly with a lot less drama in her background. I'll also build up a Clover to see what she looks like at a low PL 6. I'll make a final choice at that point based on the group and the builds if Agamon is willing to have me.

Agamon

Adventurer
Yeah, anyone that was in Toki's game is invited, of course, though like I say, I'd like to stop at six for starters.

And yeah, Hero High is a good book to steal from for this game, go ahead.

Samnell

Explorer
Agamon said:
By "thematically similar" I didn't quite mean the same game all over again. More of a "ordinary people in an ordinary world with extraordinary abilities" similarity. Doing a reset might be kinda weird.

Fair point. There are degrees of similarity. Ultimate Spider-Man, at least while I was reading, seemed like a modernization that was extremely faithful to the basic essence of the original character. Ultimate X-Men...not so much.

I was thinking aloud about a game that maintained most of the major figures, but maybe not their plotlines. Then again the Overseer/Cardinal/Ryan/Kelly business was a major series of major revelations to us so it does straddle the line a bit between same plots and same people. Anyway, just ideas. I'm quite content to start from scratch-ish again. I really liked the Bronze-Age-but-realistic sense GL started with. I suspect Toki's inspiration leaned more towards Teen Titans than my own New Mutants fixation, but the young heroes genre is broad enough for both to coexist.

Hmmm. Could be interesting, too. I gotta say, the school setting is great, lots of mentors and peers to play with as a GM.

And you never need an excuse to introduce new powered people. They're new students or teachers.

Huh, this would be doable if everyone was up for it. It wouldn't be the same thing all over again. Just starting with the similar basic assumptions and taking it in different directions from there.

I'm in!

Samnell

Explorer
Damn... I really don't know if I want to reimagine Mark or try something completely different. It's not helping that several times I half-wrote a dream sequence where Mark grew up happy and well-adjusted in an affluent home, had a little brother named Tommy, was Platonic life partners with Star, and best swim team buds with Yoshi. At one point it was going to be a recurring dream to juxtapose with his flashbacks to breaking the hand of a freshly-dead acquaintance to get the drugs back.

But I have lots of other ideas for teenage heroes too and I could always mix some of the traits I might want to revisit from Mark with some of those.

Shalimar

First Post
Wonder if Jun-Min will drink with the students this time around? ;p

Would you guys be going with Mark, Ryan, and Cassie again?

Samnell

Explorer
Shalimar said:
Would you guys be going with Mark, Ryan, and Cassie again?

I'm far from deciding, myself. There's a lot about Mark I could see revisiting, but a lot that also depended on original GL continuity that would not necessarily be the same. I might end up with someone thematically similar to Mark but with different powers, somebody completely different with the same powers, or something totally unrelated.

Whatever I make will definitely have a few twists and kinks to the personality and backstory. I can get really excited about making a gosh-wow-honest-to-goodness type, but I can't sustain interest in playing them very long. I'm too cynical for Superman's personality. :)

Agamon

Adventurer
Samnell said:
Whatever I make will definitely have a few twists and kinks to the personality and backstory. I can get really excited about making a gosh-wow-honest-to-goodness type, but I can't sustain interest in playing them very long. I'm too cynical for Superman's personality. :)

What you need is someone that isn't really gosh-wow-good, but trying their damnedest to be so. Anika was fun to play.

Speaking of which, Anika's one of the regulars that definitely won't be in this game. I'm way too attached to that character, and there's nothing I hate more than DM's with their pet NPCs.

On the plus side, Yoshi is alive! Yay! :)

AU Gen Legacy universe sounds good. I really need to spend at least a day to evaluate if I can commit to a game, I'd like to think I'm a bit more responsible these days but I haven't had the best track record for keeping them up. I know a few folks here were going to be in a PBP I started called Transcendence Now, depending on how many are interested I might try resurrecting that if I come back to play in this one.

Remove ads