Get Ready To Pre-Order Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Fourth Edition!

Cubicle 7 has announced that the pre-orders for the 4th Edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay will open tomorrow, Thursday 3rd May.

Cubicle 7 has announced that the pre-orders for the 4th Edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay will open tomorrow, Thursday 3rd May.

WFRP-All-3-Core-768x532.jpg

Here's the full announcement!

The Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition pre-order opens later this week! To whet your appetite, here are 4 things you can expect from the new edition of this beloved game.

Your Warhammer for You!
Something that is really core to our WFRP is that we’ve created tools for you to play your Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. We recognise and support that everyone plays their own version of the rules and the setting, and we fully embrace and encourage that. It’s your game! With 30 years of history under its belt, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay means a lot of things to a huge number of players.

Ideal starting point
Not much experience with RPGs? The Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Starter Set is designed to be the ideal introduction, with a structured adventure to help you learn how to play. Also containing a guide to Ubersreik, there’s loads of gaming material for more experienced GMs too!

System matters
WFRP4 uses ten-sided dice, and a tuned-up version of the familiar d100 system. You can tailor the rules to your preferences or different in-game situations, choosing from a menu of fast ‘roll under’ Simple Tests, Dramatic Tests giving success levels where you need more than a ‘yes or no’ result, and even barely rolling at all, if that’s your style.

Passion for Warhammer
Our creative team are lifelong players of the three previous editions of the game, and between us we’ve worked on all these editions too! We bloomin’ love Warhammer, and we think it shows.

We’ll be bringing you more on WFRP4 regularly, so watch this space! And, very excitingly, pre-orders go live on Thursday…

Keep an eye out for the pre-orders to open tomorrow at the Cubicle 7 store!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I would imagine the first few releases will be very familiar to those with the old books. But they've got to get the basics out there for the newcomers, before they go off into Here Be Dragons territory
Which will be fine but this is the 4th edition and we have yet to get out of the old world. Just think, setting books should be coming before Enemy Within or Something Rotten in Kislev. 2nd Edition gave us a very good, little rules old world book, now is the time for something new.

So C7 posted this about an hour ago on Twitter:

"We’ve had a few successful game launches down the years, and generally we like to think we know our business... but ok. We just had to up the print run of WFRP thanks to the level of pre-orders in the first *3 hours*."

Good going everyone ordering. :)

Barantor

Explorer
What is the difference between Warhammer and Zweihander? Similar systems? I never played Warhammer but have recently played Zweihander and really like it.

Zweihander I believe is a derivative of Warhammer with some stuff they liked.

I have never played but own the Zweihander book and I've played 1&2E Warhammer a ton, I find Warhammer easier for new folks to understand.

I ordered the basic book, nice that they give you the pdf ahead of the physical copy.

I find it bizarre that they haven't given more information about the product before releasing it.

I like cubicle7's prior stuff, and I'd like to get into wfrp, but no way would i buy a product solely on faith without actually, y'know, being "sold" the product.
Obviously hasnt impacted their sales though.

ajevans

Explorer
I find it bizarre that they haven't given more information about the product before releasing it.

I like cubicle7's prior stuff, and I'd like to get into wfrp, but no way would i buy a product solely on faith without actually, y'know, being "sold" the product.

Anything in particular omitted?

That is not C7's style. They barely preview any of their stuff before it goes up for pre-order. And for now, the only difference between this and their other products is that the PDF will not be available right away on ordering. The PDFs release in June and the physical books in July, so between now and when the PDFs release, they will be doing previews of the new rules. That leaves plenty of time for undecided people to still pre-order before anything comes out. The only risk is the limited edition core book selling out, but if someone wants that, I would guess they will order it before any previews are posted.

aramis erak

Legend
Never read any previous editions of it, might have to check it out as well.

Key setting elements:
  • Basically Early Renaissance Europe (Think late Holy Roman Empire) with fantasy races added.
  • Much social inequality
  • Xenophobia is rampant
  • Many names are either bad puns, either in German or in faux-German
  • Magic is dangerous and drives people insane
  • Unlicensed use of magic is punishable by death. Usually, the accused doesn't survive to the trial.
  • Mob justice includes lynchings and burnings.

Mechanically:
1E: lots of attributes, some 1-10, 1x 1+, and most 1-100. Skills boolean. Tasks 1d100 for attribute or less; Some require a skill to attempt, others gain a +10 or +20 for the skill.

2E: reduced attribute list, atts 1-100 except W and MP, which are 1+ and 0+. Skills are un-, base, +10, +20. Tasks are rolled on 1d100 for under attribute+skill mod (unskilled is vs 1/2 attribute).

Both 1E and 2E presuppose use of a grid or minis on table, but are not so grid reliant as to make it hard to do Theater of the Mind.

3E used funky custom dice, much like FFG's Star Wars does. (SW is a simplification of the WFRP system.) It was also rather component driven.

So, what we know about 4E:
It's based upon 1E and 2E. It uses 1d100 for under an asset.

Remove ads

Remove ads