D&D 5E Getting advantage, forcing disadvantage

fuindordm

Adventurer
In earlier editions, if you forget a bonus or penalty to a roll then the modifier is wrong by a little bit, which probably doesn't matter too much.

In 5E it is a little more important to keep track of possible sources of advantage/disadvantage, because they are potent modifiers to the roll and because they can cancel each other out (and often do).

So with that in mind, I went through the PH and collected all the class abilities and common situations that could grant advantage on attack rolls or impose disadvantage on attack rolls. I think this will help me when I get around to running a game, and I hope it helps all of you.

ADVANTAGED ATTACK ROLLS:

1. Target can't see you
  • Target is blind
  • You are hidden
  • You are invisible
2. "Flanking" / Assistance
  • Ally uses Help action in place of attack
  • (Barbarian with wolf totem, several monsters and NPCs) Pack Tactics with ally adjacent to target
  • (Fighter) Distracting strike maneuver (for ally)
  • (Fighter) Feinting attack maneuver (for self)
3. Target's movement is constrained
  • Target is grappled by you (with feat)
  • Target is restrained
  • Target is prone
4. (Barbarian) Reckless attack
5. Target is stunned (e.g. from Monk attack)
6. You are mounted (with feat)
7. Target is flat-footed and you are Assassin

DISADVANTAGED ATTACKS (this set is more eclectic)

1. Target is dodging (easy!)
2. You cannot see target (you are blind, or target is invisible, hidden, or has Blur)
3. You are frightened of target
4. You are poisoned (or sickened from a magical effect such as Contagion or Eyebite)
5. You are restrained or prone (suprisingly, being grappled doesn't give disadvantage)
6. (Fighter/Paladin) Goading attack maneuver, compelled duel (disadvantages attacks on targets other than you)
7. (Warlock) Entropic ward
8. You are exhausted (3+ levels)
9. Miscellaneous spells (e.g. Heat Metal on opponent's weapon, Chill Touch on undead)

Last edited:

JesterOC

Explorer
Where does it say that you get advantage if the target is movement constrained? I did not think being grappled gives opponents Advantage. But I can see it, not for the grappler, but perhaps for his friends ("I'm hold 'em you beat 'em").

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Where does it say that you get advantage if the target is movement constrained?
5B said:
Prone
• A prone creature’s only movement option is to crawl, unless it stands up and thereby ends the condition.
• The creature has disadvantage on attack rolls.
• An attack roll against the creature has advantage if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature. Otherwise, the attack roll has disadvantage.

Restrained
• A restrained creature’s speed becomes 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed.
• Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s attack rolls have disadvantage.
• The creature has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws.

I did not think being grappled gives opponents Advantage. But I can see it, not for the grappler, but perhaps for his friends ("I'm hold 'em you beat 'em").

Grapple does not grant anyone advantage.

5B said:
Grappled
• A grappled creature’s speed becomes 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed.
• The condition ends if the grappler is incapacitated (see the condition).
• The condition also ends if an effect removes the grappled creature from the reach of the grappler or grappling effect, such as when a creature is hurled away by the thunderwave spell.

Thaumaturge.

koga305

First Post
Note that while being grappled doesn't grant advantage, being prone does - and a grappled, prone creature can't stand up unless it escapes the grapple, because that requires movement.

raleel

Explorer
Fighter's menacing attack with a save makes them Frightened, which gives them disadvantage (frightened is called out)

bestow curse can directly give disadvantage against you.
blur gives disadvantage on attack rolls against you
chill touch can grant disadvantage to attack rolls against undead
compel duel grants disadvantage against folks other than you.
dispel evil/good gives disadvantage to fey, fiends, celestials, elementals, and undead
eyebite's sickened condition can grant disadvantage
firesight grants disadvantage
heat metal grants disadvantage if they don't drop it

there are a lot of ways :)

fuindordm

Adventurer
I admit I didn't go through all the spells when I made that list. :) An update is certainly in order.

In the Monster Manual I notice a lot of monsters/NPCs have "Pack Tactics" which grants advantage when an ally is adjacent to target.

fuindordm

Adventurer
Thanks, everyone, I've updated the list in the first post.

"Mounted" seems like an odd one out. Is the benefit of being mounted really comparable to having the target restrained or attacking from a hidden position? I might houserule that to a lesser benefit.

Remove ads