• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GI Joe d20

hoyagerv

First Post
I recall reading a thread a while back regarding a poster's vision of how a GI Joe/Cobra campaign could be run using d20 modern. The only bit of information that I specifically remember had Cobra fronting as an Amway/Church of Scientology organization. Having caught an episode of the new cartoon on Fox this morning, the idea of running this kind of campaign has piqued my curiosity once more.

Thanks up front for any assistance.

hoyagerv

First Post
Thanks for the quick reply D_Sinclair, and while the information is interesting, it's actually not quite what I was looking for. The post I'm thinking of was actually a detailed vision of how one could construct a GI Joe campaign in the modern day and involved organizing Cobra as a quasi-religious cult.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
There is a decent, if somewhat tactics-heavy, GI Joe d20 conversion here (the file inside the archive is a PDF file and, yes, it's in English). Now, keep in mind, this isn't a d20 Modern conversion - but for what it is, it's a pretty decent jumping-of point for a d20 GI Joe campaign.

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
If I were to run GI Joe... it'd be in a Mutants and Masterminds campaign. You can cover all the whacky charactesr with it... it'd just be low PL

der_kluge

Adventurer
I think it's more plausible to see Cobra as what is was represented as in the comics and cartoons - a global terrorist organization. The latter episodes of G.I. Joe featured the Crimson Guard - people who are accountants and lawyers by day, and part of the Cobra elite guard by night. Sort of Cobra's version of the National Guard, I guess.

That's a pretty scary, sort of "Fight Club" like quality to it where anyone on the street could be a top-secret Cobra agent.

That would make for a really cool campaign.

ssampier

First Post
I always thought the cartoons were kinda hookey (but cool anyway), since Cobra troops were always sniveling, bumbling fools. I think a serious GI Joe campaign could work, but not as the cartoon as I remember it.

I think it's more plausible to see Cobra as what is was represented as in the comics and cartoons - a global terrorist organization. The latter episodes of G.I. Joe featured the Crimson Guard - people who are accountants and lawyers by day, and part of the Cobra elite guard by night. Sort of Cobra's version of the National Guard, I guess.

Just like the Cold War's Red Scare. I wonder who the "Joseph McCarthy" will be?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
der_kluge said:
The latter episodes of G.I. Joe featured the Crimson Guard - people who are accountants and lawyers by day, and part of the Cobra elite guard by night.

This was in the comics from day one, really - the original Cobra Commander was an American used car salesman who grew tired of working his fingers to the bone and not getting what he considered his just rewards (thus his founding of Cobra).

That's a pretty scary, sort of "Fight Club" like quality to it where anyone on the street could be a top-secret Cobra agent.

As the above bit of trivia illustrates, Cobra was the original Fight Club ;)

Remove ads