• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Giant unstopable robot- HELP!!!

Isagard

First Post
Talon5 said:
Last weekend our group of our heros got their arses handed to them by a giant robot headed for Chicago. We still need to stop it.

Characters-
Corsair- Telekinesis
Dynamo- Electricity
Palisade- strong flying chick
Spinnerette- spider chick, martial artist

We are the only supers that we know of in the world besides a few villians.

Okay, villian group Fenris is raided by the FBI, a giant robot pops up out of their base and starts walking towards Chicago.

The robot was built during the cold war to act as missile defense (vs nukes). It was boxed up and stored away after the creator died and his benofactors thought it was nothing more then a pile of junk.

Fenris equipt it with missiles and such, but no fuel for its jets- so it can only use its jump jets and walk to get where its going.

We have very few Hero Points left (better then half of us are out of Hero Points), we have tried draining it's power, entangling it, straight up fights- its protection is better then a critical can get through in a single blow, we have rammed it at high speed, dumped water on it (short it out- nope, didn't work), tripped the hell out of it, EMP pulse blast (power stunt- we can't do again), it simplely gets back up, pops off a couple shots then continues on its path, like its completely unaware of us.

The US Army is there, but can't really get close enough to even hurt it with Apaches- its purpose is defense during war time.

My present plan is to- using cables wrap up its feet, tripping it. Spinnerette and Dynamo rush to its feet, open its fuel door and send a bolt of electricity into its gas tank- which is empty, but hopefully it will be able to do something.

Should that fail..... well I have no clue, we have done one point of damage to it thus far- Dynamo got a crit at PBR, and was pushing his powers. The robto rolled poorly on its dam save and well noticed him- but we got his unconscious form out of there before Mr Roboto stepped on him.

A few thoughts would be cool- we could use the help. Thanks.

try attacking it from above.....with large weaponry

Len

Prodigal Member
Talon5 said:
Because he was contractor from DARPA the government came in, grabbed everything technological and boxed it up. The cargo containers were placed in a federal storage facility.
But that indicates that DARPA must have the emergency shutdown codes. They would definitely have re-possessed all the drawings, software, etc. from the project, not just the robot parts. I'm sure your DM will see the logic of this. :)

Kareyev

First Post
How about luring it away from the city. You know it likes missiles. "Launch" a missile from Chicago over the robots head. Guard the missile. Perhaps the super strong character is carrying it and can help the missile dodge any attacks. Or the guy with Telekinesis can float a bunch of mirrors to keep the robot from shooting the missile with lasers. Perhaps you all just take the blows instead. Try to have the missile move at a rate the robot can give chase. You may not be able to damage the robot, but if you can get it to follow you at least you can lead it somewhere where the other options mentioned here are a possibility and buy some time for the other heroes to find out how to stop the thing.

Does the missile have to be a nuke? If so make it a nuke, but make it defective in some way so it will not go off.

Good luck.

Hemlock Stones

First Post
Boy Talk About Messing Things Up

GREETINGS!

I must say that I find all of your efforts traditonal to say the least. Even more amusing have been all of the suggestions as to what to do with Mr. Robot.

First of all, any physical or energy attacks will probably have initiated enhanced "pre-programmed defensive" modes that were in place to protect Mr. Robot during a nuclear missle strike.

Primary would be to disrupt it's means of navigation. It might be using an orbiting satellite for directional guidance. Rather than attacking Mr. Robot directly, alter the navigational instructions it's getting. Then send it toddling off towards Lake Michigan. A nearby ocean would be a much better choice. The pressures at the greater depths should pop Mr. Robot like an egg no matter what kind of nuclear boom it was made to withstand.

While on the topic of instructions Mr. Robot is getting. Why not determine where these external commands might be coming from? If Mr. Robot is being remote controlled, find out where the signals are coming from and deal with them at the source.

Even if Mr. Robot's maker is purportedly dead, I think digging the old duffers corpse up is in order. Proof is in the decaying corpse. We all know how tricky these government organizations can be by having people "die". If nothing else trotting the body out in front of Mr. Robot might have an impact.

Hope this helps...

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Well if it's totally unstoppable and there's nothing you can do, even using every power and power point in the arsenal and asking random people online what they'd do to stop it ... that you consider ....

It's a plot device?

Perhaps the GM doesn't WANT you to stop it. Though if that's the case I, personally, would have gotten tired of toying with everybody about two minutes into the desperate planning and cut to the chase.

But I'm too impatient to listen to the futile planning of my players. Mwa ha ha ha. Better to get beyond the plot point and to the REAL pain.

--fje

d4

First Post
HeapThaumaturgist said:
Well if it's totally unstoppable and there's nothing you can do, even using every power and power point in the arsenal and asking random people online what they'd do to stop it ... that you consider ....

It's a plot device?

Perhaps the GM doesn't WANT you to stop it.
it does seem that way, if he's shooting down everything you try to do.

Talon5

First Post
Len said:
But that indicates that DARPA must have the emergency shutdown codes. They would definitely have re-possessed all the drawings, software, etc. from the project, not just the robot parts. I'm sure your DM will see the logic of this. :)

I am hoping that the FBI in their search of the Fenris facility will find such iinformation. Thanks for the thought.

Talon5

First Post
Waiting for Saturday now

HeapThaumaturgist said:
It's a plot device?

Thank you all for the thoughts and the help.

Heap you might well be right, but I know this GM and it seems to me that he wants us to beat it to prove something to the public- that we are heros, its something he has said within the campaign and outside.

Unfortunately, we have gotten our can's handed to us. :eek:

We had some set backs in the real world :( and did not game this last weekend so we're up for this next Saturday.

I have a plan- (60% ENWorld and 40% mine), we're gonna try it and see what happens, thank you all very much for your thoughts and all.

Should the plan fail then we'll try high altiude drops of I Beams (90% Enworld). Should that fail then we'll..... well I have no clue, perhaps we'll just watch where it goes. If it's plan is to defend Chicago then we'll just plant flowers around its feet and hope it rusts out before the area needs it.

:cool:

Talon5

First Post
I will let you guys know DragonLancer.

The last two weekends have been M&M less- last weekend didn't happen due to one player getting in a car accident and another's mother going into the hospital with heart troubles. This weekend still had a player out and the whole thing got a late start so I solo GMed after a minor "catch up" campaign (thanks Coyote6 that was cool).

Hopefully next weekend. :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads