Gil Kenan to Direct Ghostbusters "Afterlife" sequel

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Right, just sayin I have not seen any of his director work. Afterlife was not terribly impressive.

It was extremely impressive, IMHO possibly the best Ghostbusters ever.
I think people have wildly divergent ideas of what a Ghostbusters movie should be.

Afterlife was basically Stranger Things, treating the original Ghostbusters movie as a classic horror-fantasy-comedy, full of deep world-building and with canon deserving of reverence by the grandchildren of one of the original four (the most obvious spoiler ever). If that's your jam, you loved it.

If you want Ghostbusters to be a silly, cocaine-fueled horror-comedy, with strong emphasis on the comedy, Afterlife was a bizarre mess.

I have my own opinions on what I want from these movies, but I don't think either camp is really wrong here. But only one of them is getting serviced by these new sequels.

Last edited:

I think people have wildly divergent ideas of what a Ghostbusters movie should be.

Afterlife was basically Stranger Things, treating the original Ghostbusters movie as a classic horror-fantasy-comedy, full of deep world-building and with canon deserving of reverence by the grandchildren of one of the original four (the most obvious spoiler ever). If that's your jam, you loved it.

If you want Ghostbusters to be a silly, cocaine-fueled horror-comedy, with strong emphasis on the comedy, Afterlife was a bizarre mess.

I have my own opinions on what I want from these movies, but I don't think either camp is really wrong here. But only one of them is getting serviced by these new sequels.

Only one vision was profitable. Only vision sells toys and collectibles. That is clearly the vision that won, hence why it's getting all the goodies going forward, and the rest of the entertainment industry needs to take note, canon matters whether they like it or not.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Thats interesting since I considered the weakest parts of Afterlife the ones that clung to canon. 🤷‍♂️

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I thought that it was a really good movie that got far too fan servicey, at the conclusion.
Right, I think it works as a stranger things derivative, but the fan service didn't really add anything to the experience, IMO. So, not only is the movie unoriginal in theme and tone, but it doesn't do anything interesting with what came before either. It's a mediocre story, but with a good cast and execution.

If the supposed lesson here is that sticking with canon is the successful method, I'm afraid its the wrong lesson. It's just going to encourage more unoriginal sequels and attempts going forward.

Remove ads