D&D 5E Girls, Guts and Glory. A new snack sized D&D web series.

CapnZapp

Legend
They certainly chose a few good-looking girls and they seem to be having a good time as well as the costumes are excellent. Is this filmed in LA?
There was a LA Weekly piece on them back in January - they're all actresses.

So "yep, sounds like LA"

Since production values are so high, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a sponsor just waiting for this to go viral before revealing a marketing blitz... but I guess kids nowadays are that great with video cameras and cosplay gear that this really could be just a group of friends and that there are no hidden agendas except playing D&D (and furthering their careers I guess).

The burning question I have is: what version of D&D? Here's a character sheet: https://www.girlsgutsgloryrpg.com/lilith

Last edited:

Lanliss

Explorer
While I appreciate the concept, I couldn't watch past the first minute or two. Just not my thing, I guess.

Don't feel bad. I stopped watching when the Inn Owner started talking. Nothing personal towards the cast, I just really hate that accent. I might try again some time, as I firmly believe that more diversity is good.

pukunui

Legend
That is interesting. I assumed it was 5e... but that's an unusual skill set!
Looks like it's based on 5e, though. It does say that they're only sort of following the rules.

I have to add that I am disappointed about the coarse language. I was kind of hoping I could watch this with my oldest daughter, who is 11 and wants to play D&D, but the content is still a little too adult for her.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Looks like it's based on 5e, though. It does say that they're only sort of following the rules.

I have to add that I am disappointed about the coarse language. I was kind of hoping I could watch this with my oldest daughter, who is 11 and wants to play D&D, but the content is still a little too adult for her.

It seems a bit strange to break the rules before you know the rules though? :) And yeah there really needs to be a teen improv/drama club that does a D&D show. Heck the Stranger Things kids should do it during downtime! :)

Arial Black

Adventurer
It's hard to imagine commentary on the appearance ("good-looking" or otherwise...) of the players be the first thing offered if the gamers were men.

It's easy to imagine. Just imagine that it's women doing the commenting!

In my experience, this hobby is notoriously 'sausage-heavy' so a set of gorgeous women is...out of the ordinary enough that I'm not surprised it elicited comment.

Are they brilliant at D&D? Does it matter? They are having fun, and I don't notice men getting any criticism for daring to play without being brilliant! It's about having a good time, not about comparing one group of friends having fun to other groups of friends having fun.

Will I be able to handle a bunch of supermodel actresses playing our game?

I think I'll manage. :D

Last edited:

I gave the episodes a watch today. They were fairly entertaining and the short duration helped make the bad accents more watchable. Ichabod is hilarious!!! :lol:

It does seem a bit over-produced for a simple D&D game, but I suppose with the participants all being in the entertainment industry, that it just how they roll.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I gave the episodes a watch today. They were fairly entertaining and the short duration helped make the bad accents more watchable. Ichabod is hilarious!!! :lol:

It does seem a bit over-produced for a simple D&D game, but I suppose with the participants all being in the entertainment industry, that it just how they roll.

It's so easy to produce a quality video product these days it's amazing it's not more common. And I'm sure someone is also looking it as a talent promo, both in front and behind the camera.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Being from England, these British accents grate tremendously. Hope they chill out. Actors/actresses should get the accent at least near! It's kind of their job.

ATM it's too uncomfortable. Hope the North American audiences enjoy though. Every different stream adds something, I'm sure.

Remove ads