D&D 5E Girls, Guts and Glory. A new snack sized D&D web series.

CheezyRamen

First Post
It will be. WoTC is going to give them exposure with the Sphere of Annihilation event and they'll be on the Dragon Talk pod cast.

This will get big. There there will be the inevitable nasty trolls, then flame wars over various pet issues... I hope that increases their exposure and viewership and that they stay above it all and continue to have fun.

You're absolutely right. I didn't think about it at first but it can get stupid ugly real quick for no reason. People just like to see things burn, but if they can just ignore it and continue to have a good time and put out episodes then I think everyone will have a great experience. (Excluding the trolls, but even then I don't think their real intention is destruction most of the time)

Chaosmancer

Legend
I might end up checking it out, but the short length actually makes me a little nervous.

One of the things I love about Critical Role and Aquisitions Inc. is that unlike other smaller shows I found before them, it wasn't heavily edited. I remember stumbling on a few attempts at online DnD videos that were just chopped into pieces, and it seemed like a highlights reel of a game instead of watching the game. Fine if you like that, but really hard to get invested.

Seeing a ten minute episode makes me nervous that it is going to be the "best" ten minutes of a game instead of a coherent whole.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I've enjoyed what I've seen so far... but I will say it feels, well... artificial in a way Critical Role and Force Grey: Giant Hunters don't to me. It's hard to put my finger on what it is exactly though... it just doesn't feel like a natural game of D&D when I watch it. That said it's been enjoyable enough so far and the woman playing the dwarf has been hilarious so far... so even though I don't think it feels anything like an authentic gaming session... I'll continue watching it for the entertainment value.

I think it seems weird because everyone is actually trying hard to stay in character. There's little to no out of game chat. That's what feels strange to me. They're trying to inhabit their characters full time. It's more entertaining because of that constraint.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I might end up checking it out, but the short length actually makes me a little nervous.

One of the things I love about Critical Role and Aquisitions Inc. is that unlike other smaller shows I found before them, it wasn't heavily edited. I remember stumbling on a few attempts at online DnD videos that were just chopped into pieces, and it seemed like a highlights reel of a game instead of watching the game. Fine if you like that, but really hard to get invested.

Seeing a ten minute episode makes me nervous that it is going to be the "best" ten minutes of a game instead of a coherent whole.

So far it's been a single session chopped up into smaller chunks. It doesn't seem to be particularly "edited down".

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Damn.

Tried it one last time because of you folks, but still too grating for me to listen to. I do appreciate that they are having fun with things and it's all tongue in cheek. But for some reason I just can't listen to it. A shame really, I was hoping for another like CR, AC Inc, Force Grey. etc.

Am happy folks are enjoying it though as it adds more to the popularity of the game.

Valetudo

Explorer
You guys and gals do realize they where not really playing right? If you want to watch some fake dnd try experience points. Its made by people that actually play dnd and comes off as a real session. GGG wasnt super bad but didnt come off as a real game.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Being from England, these British accents grate tremendously. Hope they chill out. Actors/actresses should get the accent at least near! It's kind of their job.

ATM it's too uncomfortable. Hope the North American audiences enjoy though. Every different stream adds something, I'm sure.

I do appalling accents all the time in my games. I'm sure not one of them is within a million miles of sounding even vaguely correct. It's just a game.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
So far it's been a single session chopped up into smaller chunks. It doesn't seem to be particularly "edited down".

This. I is similar to how AI cut up their session to get a piece of the Rod of Seven Parts into 30 minute segments.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
You guys and gals do realize they where not really playing right? If you want to watch some fake dnd try experience points. Its made by people that actually play dnd and comes off as a real session. GGG wasnt super bad but didnt come off as a real game.

Can you give a link. Searching for "Experience Points" isn't particularly helpful give that it is such a common term.

In terms of them not playing the game, do you mean not following all the rules, not playing the style of game you play, or that they scripted all the rolls in advance?

Whether it is just improve with some rolls or fully scripted, meh, fun to watch.

Valetudo

Explorer
Can you give a link. Searching for "Experience Points" isn't particularly helpful give that it is such a common term.

In terms of them not playing the game, do you mean not following all the rules, not playing the style of game you play, or that they scripted all the rolls in advance?

Whether it is just improve with some rolls or fully scripted, meh, fun to watch.
I mean its fully scripted. The rules are fairly accurate they just changed the names of stuff, maybe they where worried about copyright or just for flavor? Energy force was just thunderwave I believe. Ill look up the lady and guy who made EP but I found them originally by searching experience points on youtube and foundit fairly quick.

Remove ads