• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Githyanki Wizard or Mage?

I'm looking at playing my first 4E controller and I really like the flavor of a githyanki wizard.

Is this horribly suboptimal? How does the racial telekinetic power stack up?

Thanks!

BobTheNob

First Post
Synergy Aside, I just think the Mage is a better design of Wizard than the Wizard ever was. Making wizards builds implement based in the first place was...clumsy.

I would say mage over wizard every time. You just cant ignore those school passives you get.

Kinneus

Explorer
Githyanki are good, provided your DM lets you use them. They're a Monster Manual race, not really intended to be used by players. Run it by your DM first. I'd personally allow it, but your DM may feel differently.

Since it's a MM race, there's very little 'support' for it, meaning you won't find githyanki-focused feats or paragon paths. But, honestly, Wizard/Mage has so many options open to it that you probably won't miss your racial options.

Githyanki used to be kings of the Wizard/Mage, Swordmage, and Con-based Warlock classes because they were for a very long time the only race with a bonus to both Int and Con. Now, though, both Genasi and Warforged can be Int/Con, so their appeal has lessened. Still a perfectly fine choice, though, if you can get your DM to agree to it.

Telekinetic Leap is pretty solid. I've heard that it's better used on your allies than yourself, though, for some reason.

On Puget Sound

First Post
If you need some background justification for being on this plane and working with non-Githyanki, check the Gul'othran faction, page 97 of The Plane Above. Encourage the GM to include illithids and aberrations in his plots.

Max1mus

First Post
Now, though, both Genasi and Warforged can be Int/Con, so their appeal has lessened.

Sorry to jump off topic, but I never new the genasi got a second ability choice. I heard about warforged on the compendium, but where is the genasi referenced from? I just saw STR and INT.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I played a Githyanki staff wizard up to about 12th level, and had a lot of fun with him. He was an 'exiled prince' who believed he had a royal bloodline, his ancestors having escaped from the lich queen's takeover. Naturally his expected epic destiny was to depose her and assume his rightful place as king of the Githyanki!

Shame that I didn't get the chance to follow that through any further.

Nowadays I'd definitly go for a Mage rather than a Wizard though. Much, much more interesting and flexible in terms of interesting choices.

Cheers

The big thing Wizards get that Mages do not is Ritual Casting. Other than that (and IMO that's a huge one) mages are better designed and more interesting. As for a githyanki, any race with +2 int works well for a wizard - just be sure to have 13 Wis (for Enlarge Spell) and 13 Dex (for Dual Implement Spellcaster) and you're good.

Remove ads