Give me the idea, I build the monster

Sporemine

First Post
Here's the first boss for my new campagain. Also, a murder of crows, just because.

Rhaspt the Puppet (Phase 1)
Level 1 Solo Artillery
Medium Shadow Humanoid
XP 500
Initiative +1
Senses Perception +6, Darkvision

Aura of the Master aura 1; Any creature that starts it's turn in the aura takes a -2 to will defense

HP 116; Bloodied 58
AC 13; Fortitude 13, Reflex 14, Will 13
Resist 5 Necrotic; Vulnerable 5 Radiant
Saving Throws +5
Speed 6, Fly 6
Action Points 2

:bmelee: Onyx Dagger (Standard; at-will)
+8 Vs. AC; 1d10+3 necrotic damage.

:ranged: Shadow Bolt (Standard; at-will)
+6 Vs. Will;1d10+3 Necrotic damage.

:melee: Touch of Onyx Doom (recharge :4::5::6:)
+6 Vs. Will; The target is slowed (save ends).
First failed save: The target is immobilized (save ends).
Second failed save: The target is petrified, turning into an onyx statue (no save).

:ranged: Call of the Void (Standard; encounter)
+6 Vs. Will; 2d10+3 necrotic damage ongoing 5 necrotic damage (save ends) and Rhaspt can slide the target 5 squares

Alignment Chaotic Evil
Languages Common, Undercommon
Skills Acrobatics +8, Arcana +8, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Heal +6, Stealth +8
Str 13 (+1)Dex 16 (+3)Wis 13 (+1)Con 13 (+1)Int 16 (+3)Cha 13 (+1)
Equipment Robes

Rhaspt the Puppet (Phase 1) Lore

A character knows the following information with a successful Arcana check.
DC 15: Rhaspt the puppet is a cultist that has been empowered by a powerful force of shadow, trading his soul for incredible power.
DC 20: Rhaspt has been given the power to expose living creatures to the powers of the void. This ends with either a withered shell or an onyx statue.
DC 25: Rhaspt's master acts as a sheild to most dark energies, while light sears his unholy flesh.

Murder Of Crows
Level 4 Skirmisher
Large Natural Beast (Swarm)
XP 175
Initiative +6
Senses Perception +4

Swarm Attack aura 1; The Murder of Crows makes a basic attack as a free action against each enemy that begins it's turn in the aura.

HP 55; Bloodied 27
AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 16, Will 16
Immune Fear; Resist Half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerable 5 against close and area attacks
Speed 2, Fly 8

:bmelee: Swarm of Beaks (Standard; at-will)
+9 Vs. AC; 1d10+4 damage.

:melee: Eye Peck (Standard; at-will)
+9 Vs. Fortitude; 1d6+4 damage and the target is blinded.

Alignment Unaligned
Languages None
Skills Acrobatics +9, Stealth +9
Str 15 (+4)Dex 15 (+4)Wis 15 (+4)Con 15 (+4)Int 15 (+4)Cha 15 (+4)Equipment None

Last edited:

Zinovia

Explorer
I have an alternate proposal for your Bone Dragon, depending on how much of a threat you want it to be. This is based off your design goal and Spormines creature.

From looking at your party set up they don’t seem to have much in the way of healing (I am used to a 6 man group containing a cleric, paladin, tac warlord and an infernal warlock that hands out lots of temp HPs), but only you can tell if a creature is too much for them to handle.
Thank you for the alternate design. I will consider both versions and see what might work best - or combine elements of both. The group does not have much healing, especially compared to your party. There's only the taclord and a fighter who just multi-classed to cleric. They have a battle standard of healing, and I tend to give out enough potions that everyone has one or two available. Their relative lack of healing is something I have to keep in mind when running encounters for them.

As I recall, this fight is complicated by the need to avoid an enormous Raiders of the Lost Ark style stone ball that rolls around a path surrounding the area they are trying to get into. As I get closer to running that encounter, I'll review and modify it as needed. I specifically wanted to use an undead dragon for this rather than a living one for my own sense of verisimilitude. They have yet to actually face a real solo fight. I had set one up, but did too poor of a job in emphasizing the currently weakened state of what had been a very powerful spirit creature. They were afraid to fight it, and talked their way out, which was a viable choice. I'm hoping to get a couple of solo fights in soon.

Speaking of which, my other solo that I wanted to use is Phidias, the beholder who uses his telekinetic eye ray to create sculptures. Of course, the subject matter is often rather disturbing, but he is a beholder, and as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Phidias is quite insane, but has a true passion for art. He commands a currently somewhat depleted tribe of hobgoblins - they lost many in their last raid. The characters need to rescue the captured "models", as well as retrieve an important sculpture that was stolen from a religious caravan.

The issue I found when I looked up beholders is that they are mostly elites rather than solos. Perhaps that would work better, as I do want to include various hobgoblin henchmen and allies for him. They will not all be present immediately, but will come running as soon as they hear a fight. Upon seeing a beholder, I expect that the group is going to focus fire the heck out of him. They will try and lock him down with every control power they have. I want him to be the big tough guy in this battle, and to not go down in 2 rounds of heavy fire. The party will be level 5 or 6 when they meet up with him. The Gauth is the first thing I looked at, but it needs some ways to wriggle out of control effects, and maybe it should be a solo rather than an elite. Not having run an encounter with a solo, I'm not sure which way to go with that. Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Delak

Explorer
I have attempted to create the Centaur Archer, taking some pointers from existing creatures and changing it around for the Centaur Archer. Feedback is welcome.

Centaur Archer
Level 1 Artillery
Large fey humanoid
XP: 100
Initiative: +3
Senses: Perception +1; low-light vision

HP: 25 Bloodied:12
AC: 13; Fortitude: 13, Reflex: 14, Will: 13
Speed: 8

:bmelee: Bastard Sword (standard; at-will) Weapon
+6 vs. AC; 1d10 + 2 damage, plus 1d6 damage when charging

:ranged: Longbow (standard; at-will) Weapon
Ranged 20/40; +6 vs. AC; 1d10 + 4 damage
*Note: this is also a Ranged Basic Attack

:melee: Quick Kick (immediate reaction, when a creature moves into a space where it flanks the centaur hunter; at-will)
Targets the triggering creature; +6 vs. AC; 1d6 + 2 damage

:ranged: Rain of Arrows (standard; recharge :5:) Weapon
The centaur archer makes three longbow attacks, each with a -2 penalty to the attack roll.

Alignment: Unaligned
Languages: Elven
Skills: Athletics +6, Nature +6
Str: 13 (+1) Dex: 16 (+3) Wis: 13 (+1) Con: 13 (+1) Int: 10 (---) Cha: 10 (---)
Equipment: Bastard sword, Longbow, Arrow x40

Last edited:

Sporemine

First Post
I have attempted to create the Centaur Archer, taking some pointers from existing creatures and changing it around for the Centaur Archer. Feedback is welcome.

Centaur Archer
Level 1 Artillery
Large fey humanoid
XP: 100
Initiative: +3
Senses: Perception +1; low-light vision

HP: 25 Bloodied:12
AC: 13; Fortitude: 13, Reflex: 14, Will: 13
Speed: 8

:bmelee: Bastard Sword (standard; at-will) Weapon
+6 vs. AC; 1d10 + 2 damage, plus 1d6 damage when charging

:ranged: Longbow (standard; at-will) Weapon
Ranged 20/40; +6 vs. AC; 1d10 + 4 damage
*Note: this is also a Ranged Basic Attack

:melee: Quick Kick (immediate reaction, when a creature moves into a space where it flanks the centaur hunter; at-will)
Targets the triggering creature; +6 vs. AC; 1d6 + 2 damage

:ranged: Rain of Arrows (standard; recharge 5) Weapon
The centaur archer makes three longbow attacks, each with a -2 penalty to the attack roll.

Alignment: Unaligned
Languages: Elven
Skills: Athletics +6, Nature +6
Str: 13 (+1) Dex: 16 (+3) Wis: 13 (+1) Con: 13 (+1) Int: 10 (---) Cha: 10 (---)
Equipment: Bastard sword, Longbow, Arrow x40

Well done, I think this is great. One thing though, I would make rain of arrows an encounter power and eliminate the -2 penalty. BTW, there's an emote for recharge dice :1::2::3::4::5::6:

Also, what monster maker did you use?

Kudos

-Sporemine

Sporemine

First Post
Jacqueline Montarri
Level 15 Solo Skirmisher
Medium Natural Humanoid (Undead)
XP 6,000
Initiative +14
Senses Perception +17, blindsense

Dread Aura aura 5;
All creatures in the aura take a -2 to AC

HP 740; Bloodied 370
Regeneration 5
AC 29; Fortitude 27, Reflex 27, Will 27
Resist 15 Necrotic; Vulnerable 15 Radiant
Saving Throws +5
Speed 8
Action Points 2

:bmelee: Lifedrinker (Standard; at-will)
+20 Vs. AC; 2d8+6 Damage and Jacqueline regains 10 hit points

:melee: Running Stab (Move; recharge :5::6:)
Jacqueline Montarri shifts 8 squares and makes a Lifedrinker attack at any point during the movement.

Steal Head (Standard; at-will)
Jacqueline Montarri can put on a severed head that has been dead for no longer than 24 hours. It grants her one at will one encounter and one daily power that the creature knew in life (she starts any encounter with a random head). she can remove the head, losing it's powers, as a free acton.

Snicker-Snack (Free, 1 per turn)
Jacqueline Montarri can deliver a coup de grace as a free action against a helpless creature or character. If the coup de grace kills it's target, the head is removed and Jacqueline Montarri can use Steal Head as a free action.

All around senses
Jacqueline Montarri cannot be flanked

Combat advantage
Jacqueline Montarri deals an extra 2d6 damage when she has combat advantage against the target.

Alignment Chaotic Evil
Languages Common
Skills Acrobatics +17, Athletics +17, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +17, Intimidate +17, Stealth +17
Str 20 (+12)Dex 20 (+12)Wis 20 (+12)Con 20 (+12)Int 20 (+12)Cha 20 (+12)
Equipment "Lifedrinker" Greatsword

I'm leaving what lifedrinker does for you to decide

Kudos

-Sporemine

Last edited:

Sporemine

First Post
This is for annoyance and dissappearing weapons, potions and gems.

Kobold Pickpocket
Level 3 Lurker
Medium Natural Humanoid (Reptile)
XP 150
Initiative +7
Senses Perception +6
HP 19; Bloodied 9
AC 17; Fortitude 15, Reflex 15, Will 15
Speed 12

:bmelee: Dagger (Standard; at-will)
+8 Vs. AC, 1d10+3 damage

Stealthy
In areas of darkness or low-light, the kobold pickpocket gains concealment and a +4 to stealth and theivery checks.

Shifty (Minor; at-will)
The Kobold pickpocket shifts 1 square

Alignment Unaligned
Languages Common, Draconic, beggar's cant, Theives cant, Drow hand code
Skills Stealth +16, Thievery +16
Str 14 (+3)Dex 14 (+3)Wis 14 (+3)Con 14 (+3)Int 14 (+3)Cha 14 (+3)
Equipment Dagger, Loincloth

Kudos

-Sporemine

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I have been taking the monsters I requested and you folks provided (THANKS AGAIN) and putting them into the Wizard's monster builder.

Can't find a place to enter immune: fear or other immunities. Checking the monsters already in the database for an example, and I can't find one of them with it either.

Am I missing something? Could someone direct me to a monster who has an immunity that I can look to for an example?

Thanks.

Delak

Explorer
Well done, I think this is great. One thing though, I would make rain of arrows an encounter power and eliminate the -2 penalty. BTW, there's an emote for recharge dice :1::2::3::4::5::6:

Also, what monster maker did you use?

Kudos

-Sporemine

Thank you, I will need to think about that for a bit. I modeled it after a few other level 1 artillery monsters and I think it's pretty balanced. I will update the monster stats shortly for the dice roll, I had forgot about that.

I used the WotC Monster Builder to create the Centaur Archer.

Sporemine

First Post
Pole Arm Guard
Level 2 Elite Soldier
Medium Natural Humanoid
XP 250
Initiative +5
Senses Perception +3
HP 76; Bloodied 38
AC 18; Fortitude 14, Reflex 14, Will 14
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1

:bmelee: Polearm (Standard; at-will)
Reach 2; +9 Vs. AC; 1d10+3 Damage.

:melee: Spinning blade (Standard; recharge :5::6:)
The Pole Arm Guard makes a basic attack against every enemy within reach.

Stabbing Defence
If the pole arm guard does not move during it's turn, it gains a +2 to all defenses.

Alignment Lawful Good
Languages Common
Str 14 (+3)Dex 14 (+3)Wis 14 (+3)Con 14 (+3)Int 14 (+3)Cha 14 (+3)
Equipment Polearm, Chainmail

Delak

Explorer
I have been taking the monsters I requested and you folks provided (THANKS AGAIN) and putting them into the Wizard's monster builder.

Can't find a place to enter immune: fear or other immunities. Checking the monsters already in the database for an example, and I can't find one of them with it either.

Am I missing something? Could someone direct me to a monster who has an immunity that I can look to for an example?

Thanks.

When you edit the monster click on the HP & DEFENSES section on the left hand side. You should then get in middle the details of that section. It starts with Initiative, etc... Starting after the section that contains the AC, Fort, Will, Ref, AP etc... you will see Auras, Senses, Weakness, etc... You may need to scroll down to see them. To add a new one just click on the plus sign and it will expand that section and give you a drop down list.

Remove ads