• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Give me the idea, I build the monster

iop

First Post
Cave stomach

Explorer beware! If you find yourself walking down a damp corridor smelling of vomit, you may be walking right into a cave stomach.
The cave stomach is a distant relative of the black dragon that has uniquely adapted to the underground environment. Once a young cave stomach finds a suitable corridor, it starts to stretch out its tentaculous mouth until it completely blocks the corridor's entire width and height, and it starts waiting for unsuspecting prey, or for underground dwellers who use it as garbage disposal. On its back side, the cave stomach is protected by tough scales that can be as hard as stone.
Once any prey has touched the tentacles a few times, it is thoroughly sprayed by digestive juices from glands protruding from the tentacles. The incapacitated prey is then reeled in by one or several tentacles for complete digestion.
A cave stomach can be killed by either dealing severe enough damage to tentacles, or by cutting through the stomach. While the latter method usually involves wading through a pond of acid, it can reward the victor with weapons, armor, or gold that the cave stomach has been unable to digest yet.

I think the cave stomach should be about level 3, though it may be possible to scale it up with higher acid damage and tougher tentacles.

Sporemine

First Post
Explorer beware! If you find yourself walking down a damp corridor smelling of vomit, you may be walking right into a cave stomach.
The cave stomach is a distant relative of the black dragon that has uniquely adapted to the underground environment. Once a young cave stomach finds a suitable corridor, it starts to stretch out its tentaculous mouth until it completely blocks the corridor's entire width and height, and it starts waiting for unsuspecting prey, or for underground dwellers who use it as garbage disposal. On its back side, the cave stomach is protected by tough scales that can be as hard as stone.
Once any prey has touched the tentacles a few times, it is thoroughly sprayed by digestive juices from glands protruding from the tentacles. The incapacitated prey is then reeled in by one or several tentacles for complete digestion.
A cave stomach can be killed by either dealing severe enough damage to tentacles, or by cutting through the stomach. While the latter method usually involves wading through a pond of acid, it can reward the victor with weapons, armor, or gold that the cave stomach has been unable to digest yet.

I think the cave stomach should be about level 3, though it may be possible to scale it up with higher acid damage and tougher tentacles.

Level 3 gargantuan creature? I think this might be more of a hazard or piece of terrain then monster.

Kudos, I had a similar idea involving a slug

-Sporemine

Sporemine

First Post
Rancor
Level 11 Solo Soldier
Huge Natural Beast
XP 3,000
Initiative +11
Senses Perception +9
HP 570; Bloodied 285
AC 27; Fortitude 23, Reflex 23, Will 23
Resist 10 All
Saving Throws +5
Speed 4
Action Points 2

:bmelee: Bite (Standard; at-will)
+18 Vs. AC, 2d6+5 Damage

:melee: Arm Swipe (Standard; at-will)
+16 Vs. Fortitude, 2d6+5 damage and the target is knocked prone

:area: Roar (Minor; encounter)
Burst 3; +16 Vs. Fortitude; all targets take 4d8+5 sonic damage and are knocked prone.

:melee: Fury (Standard; recharge :6:)
The Rancor can shift up to 6 squares make a bite attack and two arm swipe attacks or, choose not to move and gain a +2 to all defenses until the end of it's next turn.

Bloodied Rage (Immediate Interrupt; when bloodied)
The Rancor recharges and can immediately use it's fury power.

Alignment Unaligned
Languages None
Str 18 (+9)Dex 18 (+9)Wis 18 (+9)Con 18 (+9)Int 18 (+9)Cha 18 (+9)
Equipment None

Last edited:

Shade-Drake

First Post
I appologise if this has been done or if you dont think it needs improvement upon, but when a race(such as changeling) goes from MM to PHB it changes and gets a few different abilities or the like, what would you do to change kolbold if anything?

Sporemine

First Post
I appologise if this has been done or if you dont think it needs improvement upon, but when a race(such as changeling) goes from MM to PHB it changes and gets a few different abilities or the like, what would you do to change kolbold if anything?

I like them as they are; small, annoying and shifty.

Kudos

-Sporemine

Sporemine

First Post

Since there aren't many other requests, i'll try this one.

Kudos

-Sporemine

Quickleaf

Legend
Hey, I've got a request if you're still taking them. I need a 14th level elite crown prince as the main bad guy for our campaign.

Technically it's an NPC, but I was planning on designing him as a monster with some unique powers...I was leaning to skirmisher/controller (leader), and want him to have a way to escape should the battle go poorly. I also wanted to include a way to shake off stun effects more readily since I don't want him out of the fight for long. I see him fighting underhanded, like having a dagger hidden up his sleeve even when disarmed, grabbing PC's old wounds while fighting (with appropriate monologue of course ;), and possibly performing coup de grace on a PC who has really angered him.

[sblock=Prince's Background]The ambitious elder son of King Arath, Prince Eydanus has been poised to claim the throne upon his father’s death, taking the time-honored post as viceroy. However, when it is revealed his father didn’t choose him, the Prince attempts to conceal this knowledge and take the throne anyhow. He believes the kingdom has grown too fat and happy, ignorant of the dangers posed by imperial loyalists, revolutionaries, and others attempting to topple the government. While the Prince has no admiration for his father’s reign, he does believe in the maintaining Galeay’s independence no matter what the cost. However, the Prince is disliked by the people, whom he considers “lowly rabble” always complaining and on the verge of revolt. He is an elitist in the fullest terrible sense of the word.
Despite being a sniveling bastard, the Prince commands enormous political power and is quite the demagogue. His illness has tempered his arrogance – his schemes, while pretentious, are always thorough. While the High Chancellor holds the throne in the absence of a king, Prince Eydanus is hugely influential in the position of Viceroy, able to condemn a serf to death or imprisonment with but a word, and is not above abusing his station. A consummate political creature, the Prince fights dirty when need be, attacking things close to his enemies and stabbing friends in the back to get ahead. Far from a passive villain, the Prince is constantly scheming and responding to what his enemies do. He is a cunning strategist, often launching a bold offensive when least expected, or taking a radically different approach to common problems, making it hard to predict his next move.
[/sblock]

Sporemine

First Post
Hey, I've got a request if you're still taking them. I need a 14th level elite crown prince as the main bad guy for our campaign.

Technically it's an NPC, but I was planning on designing him as a monster with some unique powers...I was leaning to skirmisher/controller (leader), and want him to have a way to escape should the battle go poorly. I also wanted to include a way to shake off stun effects more readily since I don't want him out of the fight for long. I see him fighting underhanded, like having a dagger hidden up his sleeve even when disarmed, grabbing PC's old wounds while fighting (with appropriate monologue of course ;), and possibly performing coup de grace on a PC who has really angered him.

[sblock=Prince's Background]The ambitious elder son of King Arath, Prince Eydanus has been poised to claim the throne upon his father’s death, taking the time-honored post as viceroy. However, when it is revealed his father didn’t choose him, the Prince attempts to conceal this knowledge and take the throne anyhow. He believes the kingdom has grown too fat and happy, ignorant of the dangers posed by imperial loyalists, revolutionaries, and others attempting to topple the government. While the Prince has no admiration for his father’s reign, he does believe in the maintaining Galeay’s independence no matter what the cost. However, the Prince is disliked by the people, whom he considers “lowly rabble” always complaining and on the verge of revolt. He is an elitist in the fullest terrible sense of the word.
Despite being a sniveling bastard, the Prince commands enormous political power and is quite the demagogue. His illness has tempered his arrogance – his schemes, while pretentious, are always thorough. While the High Chancellor holds the throne in the absence of a king, Prince Eydanus is hugely influential in the position of Viceroy, able to condemn a serf to death or imprisonment with but a word, and is not above abusing his station. A consummate political creature, the Prince fights dirty when need be, attacking things close to his enemies and stabbing friends in the back to get ahead. Far from a passive villain, the Prince is constantly scheming and responding to what his enemies do. He is a cunning strategist, often launching a bold offensive when least expected, or taking a radically different approach to common problems, making it hard to predict his next move.
[/sblock]

I can do this but there's just one thing. Are you expecting him to have minions? If so I can do a new version of the hobgoblin fodder (previous page I think) to shake stuns.

Kudos

-Sporemine

Remove ads