• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Giving a choice of stats to older races

In PHB 3, all races have one fixed +2 to stats, and a choice of two others for the second. This is similar to the Changeling race from Eberron Players Guide. Thinking that this is a nifty new idea, here's my take on applying it to older races:

Dragonborn +2Str, +2 to Con or Cha--many Dragonborn features already work off of Con, so this is an obvious choice. I thought about making Str or Cha be the fixed stat, but settled on Str as Dragonborn tend to be the beefy warrior types overall.

Dwarf +2Con, +2 to Str or Wis--This almost makes Dwarves too good at Str based classes, but if you're going to give Dwarves this choice this is it. Constitution should be the fixed stat 100%

Eladrin +2Int, +2 to Dex or Cha--Cha makes Eladrin perfect for Bards and Warlocks, and Eladrin fit the mold of a high Cha race

Elf +2Dex, +2 to Str or Wis--Previous editions wild elves often had a Str bonus, and frankly I don't see Elves having a bonus to anything else.

Half Elf +2 Cha, +2 to Con or Dex--Half Elves are half elf, and elves are all about Dex

Halfling +2 Dex, +2 Con or Cha--Literature paints Halflings as tough little buggers

Human--I don't know how much Humans get hosed by this change. I guess it offsets the fact that the bonus feat and At-Will get better and better with the passage of time.

Tiefling +2Cha, +2 Con or Int--Charisma has to be the fixed, the whole race works off of it. Con is obvious, enabling the Hellfire Warlock among other things

PHB 2

Deva +2 Wis, +2 Int or Cha--A bit of Aasimar for the Cha, and it seems appropriate

Gnome +2Cha, +2 Dex or Int--Gnome Rogue and Sorcerer FTW

Goliath +2Str, +2 Con or Wis--Wisdom is obvious here, Goliath are a primal race if ever there was one

Half Orc +2Str, +2 Con or Dex--Half Orcs really aren't right with a bonus to mental stats

Shifters--Shifters already kind of have this, with the two types. I'd leave these unchanged

Other

Drow +2 Cha, +2 Dex or Wis--This is a tough call between Int and Wis, but I go with Wis based on Drow Priests.

Genasi +2Int, +2 Str or Con--Con better enables caster type Genasi

Kalashtar +2 Wis, +2 Int or Cha--Psions...

Warforged +2Con, +2 Str or Dex--Anybody remember Scout Warforged?

Shadar Kai +2 Int, +2 Dex or Con--Con seems obvious as number 3

Gnoll +2 Dex, +2 Str or Con--I"m not big on Gnolls as PCs, but here it is

Revenant +2Con, +2 Dex or Int--Revenant need a caster stat, and Int fits the bill best.

Last edited:

Rachel

First Post
I like your reasoning on almost all of these. The only one I wouldn't agree with you on would be the Tiefling. I don't like the double Cha, there; feels overbalanced (no other race is doubled up anywhere). Otherwise, looks good. Doing this would bring uniformity to all the racial stats across all 3 PHB books, and obviously provides some fun flexibility for players and DMs rolling new chars.

If you enjoyed doing this, you could also do a similar list reverting the racial bonus stat mods back to the +2/+2/-2 format that was discarded in 4E when the designers opted to go more pro-bonus and less pro-penalty (ie., including weapon profs. granting a +2 power bonus instead of penalizing -2 for untrained with a weapon).
:)

I like your reasoning on almost all of these. The only one I wouldn't agree with you on would be the Tiefling. I don't like the double Cha, there; feels overbalanced (no other race is doubled up anywhere). Otherwise, looks good. Doing this would bring uniformity to all the racial stats across all 3 PHB books, and obviously provides some fun flexibility for players and DMs rolling new chars.

Tiefling was a typo. It should have been a choice of Con or Int for the second stat. It has been fixed.

If you enjoyed doing this, you could also do a similar list reverting the racial bonus stat mods back to the +2/+2/-2 format that was discarded in 4E when the designers opted to go more pro-bonus and less pro-penalty (ie., including weapon profs. granting a +2 power bonus instead of penalizing -2 for untrained with a weapon).
:)

The -2 penalty to stats with races was something I'm glad 4E rid D&D of. The issue is that the penalty basically makes classes based off that stat almost crippled when used with a race with a penalty. You have to pay the high cost of an 18 with point buy just to get a 16 attack stat. Might be an interesting thought exercise, but never for actual play.

eriktheguy

First Post
These are good ideas. Giving the races more versatility is always nice.

A lot of DM's have gone with letting all races choose their ability bonuses. For those interested, there are only a few changes that need to be made to prevent abuse:
-Gain +2 to two ability scores regardless of race (yes, even humans)
-For non-humans, lose your racial ability bonus to defenses.
-For non-humans, if you choose to boost 2 ability scores linked to the same defense, gain a +1 racial bonus to another defense of your choice

If you are REALLY finicky about math:
-if humans increase ability scores related to two defenses, they lose the +1 racial bonus to one of those defenses of their choice

SabreCat

First Post
I hope the Arcane Controllers of the Coast actually do this, maybe in the Essentials books.

I like your ideas, but I'd try to get more Con/Int options in besides Genasi & Shadar-kai. Maybe make Tieflings' fixed plus Int instead of Cha, give Warforged the option of Int, something like that.

I hope the Arcane Controllers of the Coast actually do this, maybe in the Essentials books.

I like your ideas, but I'd try to get more Con/Int options in besides Genasi & Shadar-kai. Maybe make Tieflings' fixed plus Int instead of Cha, give Warforged the option of Int, something like that.

There's three actually. Genasi, Shadar-Kai and Revenant. I did give Con/Int Warforged a bit of consideration, but then remember Scout Warforged from 3E and went with Dex.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
With all these new races with multiple choices still having powerful extra abilities as well, I really don't think it's that much of a stretch to simply replace all racial stat boosts with two fluid +2 bonuses.

With all these new races with multiple choices still having powerful extra abilities as well, I really don't think it's that much of a stretch to simply replace all racial stat boosts with two fluid +2 bonuses.

I don't like 2 fluid bonuses. It removes a lot of the flavor for races. Giving a choice of two stats for the second +2 is a nice compromise between customizability and flavor.

Benlo

First Post
I would actually be more in favor of +2 Int to Dwarves over Str. They're already assisted plenty with feats to get around Strength issues, and Intelligence is very befitting of craftsmen, filling a gap of an unused stat combo with the exception of Githyanki. It would also give them a bonus to being Artificiers, which would be pretty appropriate. ;)

BobTheNob

First Post
I don't like 2 fluid bonuses. It removes a lot of the flavor for races. Giving a choice of two stats for the second +2 is a nice compromise between customizability and flavor.
I agree with this point. It does diminish racial flavor somewhat to not have racially linked stats, and I definately strongly agree with the OP.

The new races get a bit of an edge here, and ar far more versatile. I dont mind it, but I definately believe that this is how it should have been for original implementation.

Humans would need some token pat on the back though, the ability to choose a Stat was a real feather in their cap, which they wore by NOT having a bonus to two stats. To do such a change would leave the human a sad panda.

Remove ads