• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Giving Fighters Another Class Skill

Skills to Add to the Fighter Class List

• Balance (Helps Mobility in Fight)

Votes: 33 11.9%
  • Bluff (Feints)

Votes: 32 11.5%
  • Diplomacy (To Simulate Knights/Swashbucklers)

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • Heal (Helps Patch Up between fights)

Votes: 48 17.3%
  • Listen (Sentrys)

Votes: 56 20.1%
  • Profession (Make Money DOING Stuff)

Votes: 103 37.1%
  • Spot (Sentrys)

Votes: 72 25.9%
  • Tumble (All Round Useful for light Fighters and AoOs)

Votes: 38 13.7%
  • Survival (For woodsmen who aren't rangers)

Votes: 23 8.3%
  • Use Rople (Kinda all round useful)

Votes: 34 12.2%
  • The fighter can choose one skill to designate as Class (like in Star Wars d20)

Votes: 89 32.0%
  • None. The fighter skills are fine as is.

Votes: 52 18.7%

Jolly Giant

First Post
Any of those skills could be useful and make sense for certain fighters to have, but what every fighter needs is some knowledge of first aid; i.e. the Heal skill.

Also, Profession should be a class skill for all classes; except perhaps the barbarian.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Profession and Spot.

(Everyone should have Profession,if only for what they did before entering the army - lots of farm boys there; and a sentry without Spot is a poor sentry indeed.)

The Auld Grump

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Profession (should be for everyone, with barbarians the only possible exception)

Diplomacy (since most nobles will likely have fighter levels if they don't qualify for paladin)

Balance (since learning to expertly wield a blade requires good coordination)

And 2 extra skill points.

Steverooo

First Post
Topping my list are Knowledge (History), since soldiers study old battles and the strategies and tactics used in them, Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering), since fighters need to know the strengths and weaknesses of the fortresses they defend, as well as being able to interpret commands such as "Defend the merlons, men!"

Profession (Bodyguard), especially is oddly missing (who would you expect to fill this role? The Rogue?) Some professions (Sailor, for instance) might also need including, but others less so. Adding the whole list is probably OK, but is perhaps a bit overkill.

I propose doing away with Rope Use, making knot tying subsumed into Climb/Survival (whichever is higher), and Fighters already have Climb.

I have also proposed allowing every Fighter to add one Cross-Class Skill as a Class Skill once every four levels, or so (perhaps from a more limited list). Yes, that means they need more skill points, but then again, NO class should have two/level, IMO.

Sejs

First Post
Profession (should be a class skill for everyone, along with Craft, Handle Animal and Ride)

Heal (first aid would be integral to any profession whose job it is to get into fights; you can't always go crying to some cleric after all)

Survival (another soldiering staple)

Knowledge (History), and Knowledge (War) (at least I think it was Knowlege (War). The one mentioned in Sword and Fist.)

Well, I've eliminated class and cross-class skills in my campaign, so I'm not sure my vote really matters. (No, it hasn't appeared to impact game balance one bit; all it's done is inspire people to create more interesting character backgrounds to explain why their barbarian has ranks in Spellcraft.) Given the options, though, I'd go with Balance, Survival, or Tumble.

Yraen

First Post
Fighter Skills

Finding the lack of the Profession skill in the Fighter's class skills a completely strange affair, I've allowed my players to have it for free.

:heh:

Deadguy

First Post
Like Yraen, I've yet to find a DM who doesn't let a Fighter have a Profession skill as a class skill if he or she wants it. And I have, for my own games, added Heal onto the Fighter's list. It just makes sense - and was inspired by Leela, from Dr Who, who said "when you are injured, look for a man with scars"!

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I like giving the fighter a choice of skill packages. Possibly lose 1 or 2 of the less fitting skills. Agree on them with the player.

A noble might gain: Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty), Diplomacy.
Lose: Craft.

Gladiator type: Sense motive, Perform(showy fighting).
Lose: Ride/Handle animal.

Then again, I'd be happy to do this for most classes... as long as the player can come up with a good reason why.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I voted for listen, spot and none.

I think the fighter is ok as is, but if you are going to add skills then every class should have access to spot/search/listen.

Remove ads