• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM found! 0-level funnel pending!

GlassEye

Adventurer
It's cool. I enjoying it. I like the intensity that being very, very mortal brings. Going into a combat knowing that a character may die is very different from knowing that they might lose an above average amount of resources.

I think that there a couple of things that I might consider if running a funnel.

I would probably give everyone 4hp +/- CON bonus. Having just 1 hp can lead you to be reluctant to risk anything. 3-4 hp means that there is a chance that the character might not die on the first hit.

I like the Lucky Rolls. They add a little something extra to the characters. Sometimes it fits the concept (like Bountiful Harvest for a Hunter), but sometimes its add an unusual twist (like Raised by Wolves for a Halfling Dyer) It would be nice if they could be built upon. Do they improve as the characters level?

Finally, and this one I kind of have mixed feelings about, I would consider allowing transferring one Stat from a character that dies to one of the survivors. I'm not looking to create a PC with straight bonuses, but it would be nice to be able to take the edge of some of the characters, as well as better align them to the class you hope to play. No very old school, I know.

thotd

Interesting ideas. DCC is a totally different feel than what I'm used to. Or even what I played way back when I first started playing 1e. From what I've read the feel of the game changes when the characters reach 1st level. They get a little more endurance and the likelihood that they'll die is reduced somewhat. Plus you get your class abilities.

Characters are supposed to die in the funnel. More hp means more would might survive to the end but that reluctance to act is a problem. It might be a little different face to face but in pbp (or at least, in this particular game) it seems to be crippling. The pace of this game (one one-round encounter and two traps in the span of a month of play!) is the biggest problem that I see and I'm not really sure what to do about it. Maybe award more Luck for taking the initiative and promoting action-based play? I don't know... Ideas welcome!

RAW, Luck rolls don't change from what they are when first rolled. I have the feeling that the DCC response to someone wanting to change/improve one would be: Quest for it!

I've been thinking about your final idea off and on today. I think swapping out a score from a dead character to one of your survivors would be a little too much. Maybe a +1 to one ability score, or a bonus to hp, or a 'guardian spirit' ability where the ghost of the dead character is able to deflect the doom of one of your characters before its spiritual energy is depleted and it moves on to the afterlife. I kinda like that last one since it seems more story-based/encouraging roleplay than bonus/modifier based.

Anyway, thanks for the input and if you have more ideas and comments I'd like to hear 'em.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
What I find surprising is how easily I separate the personalities of my four characters. Happy is a little more forward, Tender cautious, Kurl ambitious, and Boral just wants to go home with himself and his cow intact. I'm having a good time and I like the mortality rate. A low level party might have a much easier time, but I enjoy the sense of dread every move causes. I'm really surprised Kurl made that check.

doghead

thotd
I don't so much mind the idea that the characters can (will) die. But yes, I found the 1 hp leads to great caution. I think that having a few hp's would reduce this, while not significantly effecting the duration of combat or survivability.

I think because the characters are so sparse, small things take on a greater significance in envisioning the character. I like the idea of questing to improve the Lucky Roll aspect. Alternatively, you could tie them to goals, or ties or convictions. For example, Xim might have 'supporting her family' as a goal or conviction. Successfully doing something to achieve this goal strengthens her, reflected in an increase in her Lucky Roll (or Inherent Nature/Strength) aspect. The flip side of this is that failure to support her family in some way can lead to a decrease. I like this idea of commitments/obligations that have a feedback roll in the game.

I am somewhat of two minds about the 'harvesting'* of dead character abilities. One one hand, its very post 3rd edition point buy, where players get to build the characters they wanted. On the other, I can't help wishing Siva wasn't carrying a -1 to Stamina, or that Narančasta had the Personality to be a cleric (given his Righteous Heart Aspect). Perhaps a compromise, where players get to nominate a desired Class for each zero, and in the case of lacking a key Stat (ie INT for a Wizard), they can 'harvest' one from a dead zero, if available.

That being said, I am not lobbying for any of the above. I am happy to play out the game as written. I think that I would prefer to play out the game as written to see how it works. I am mostly just thinking aloud.

thotd

* such an ugly, but appropriate, term for the idea :)

doghead

thotd
I can repost the gear picked up if you need a list again. Once you decide on distribution be sure you update your character sheet. I use those to look up AC. Also, those up fighting/within a few feet the ooze would have seen the gems in the toad fountain (we can probably assume everyone). It would take a bit of work to pry them out; are you leaving them behind?

There was a list of stuff somewhere, but I can't seem to find it again. I thought we had collected everything on the list, but looking back over the IC thread, I don't think anyone got as far as prying out the gemstones. If that's the case, I vote we leave them there for now. They have been there this long. I have visions of the frog god statue springing into life. A problem for later, I think.

Its a pity the dwarves can't wear the mail. Will update the character sheet once we have decided on distribution.

It might be a good idea to keep a list of everything found, say at the start of the IC thread (along with the rapidly dwindling cast :( ).

thotd

GlassEye

Adventurer
Ok, I've added the list of gear from the two combat encounters to the first post of the IC thread. I did not add gear from the fallen to the list. I kinda feel that if it is your character that died then you get to determine where that gear goes. There are six surviving humans capable of wearing the three sets of armor. Also, in case you haven't noticed, I've put the xp earned there as well. As for using quarterstaves and daggers to make spears, that's not a bad idea but your craftsmen will need to make a DC 10 skill check to get something sturdy enough with your current resources to be useable.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Tender takes Happy's sword, Boral takes his helmet, and Kurl takes his coin. I would also like to give Boral a suit of Chainmail, and Kurl to take a mace.

GlassEye

Adventurer
[MENTION=6774979]Dogmatron[/MENTION]; [MENTION=8243]doghead[/MENTION]; [MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION]; [MENTION=34958]Deuce Traveler[/MENTION]

I'm disappointed in the pace of this game and am considering dropping it and devoting my energies to something else. If you're interested in continuing or even if you're not please speak up.

doghead

thotd
I am really enjoying the game, and hope that it continues. Its such a refreshing change. So I wold like to say I really hope that you stick with it.

But I understand where you are coming from. The posting has been somewhat episodic.

I was waiting to see what the response was to Narančasta proposal for the division of gear and loot. I suppose I shall now wait and see what the response is to your question.

thotd

Remove ads