• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM found! 0-level funnel pending!

fireinthedust

Explorer
Hey all!

Sorry for the delay, busy couple of days.

Gah! Alaric dead! (moans something about leaving town for a couple of decades and they change everything...)

I'm here. Don't know what to do, though, as Xim can't take wizard levels, and he isn't much good at anything else.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I am really enjoying the game, and hope that it continues. Its such a refreshing change. So I wold like to say I really hope that you stick with it.

I do want to continue and I don't want to browbeat you all about posting all the time. I can try to adjust my expectations to a slower-paced game but I'd really prefer, and feel DCC promotes, a faster pace, even in pbp.

I'm here. Don't know what to do, though, as Xim can't take wizard levels, and he isn't much good at anything else.

There is an awful lot I could say in response but I'm gonna try to keep it short/simple. I think you've come at this game with a 3e/PF mindset instead of a DCC mindset, planning and optimizing for what you wanted to play after the funnel (presuming there is an after) instead of just embracing it all as it comes and rolling with it. Just post and see how things unfold.

doghead

thotd
There is an awful lot I could say in response but I'm gonna try to keep it short/simple. I think you've come at this game with a 3e/PF mindset instead of a DCC mindset, planning and optimizing for what you wanted to play after the funnel (presuming there is an after) instead of just embracing it all as it comes and rolling with it. Just post and see how things unfold.

I think GlassEye has pretty much nailed what I was trying to find words for.

Dudles is a bit of a mixed bag. But Zim has some solid stats with bonuses in Agility, Int and Luck, as well as Hawkeye (Missile fire damage rolls)(+1) (you also seem to have added a -1 to Staff -1 (1d4-1) in the RG version which isn't in the original). And Brom is a solid enough warrior, at least, more solid than Narančasta.

Anyway, I hope that you do choose to play on and see how it plays out. At least through to the end of the adventure. You never know what will happen.

I do want to continue and I don't want to browbeat you all about posting all the time. I can try to adjust my expectations to a slower-paced game but I'd really prefer, and feel DCC promotes, a faster pace, even in pbp.

I agree that DCC is a game that lends itself to faster play. I my game, I generally let the faster posters set the pace, rather than the slower. Most players seem to appreciate that the game is moving, and those that miss a section understand. So, I'm happy to push things along if you are happy for us to do so.

thotd

fireinthedust

Explorer
Fair point. I do think I'm learning about my game preferences, in terms of telling a story. I like having choice, if not in particulars like exact stats, then at least in what class I'll be able to play. And hit points as a buffer against mistakes or random traps. Random death vs. self-inflicted, though I suppose Alaric was asking for it by touching the goo.

That said, I can get that in every other game I'm playing: this is what I signed up for when I started the thread! :D

Posting Speed: I can only post when I can, here or elsewhere. I know it's a slow game, but partly that's pbp.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I agree that DCC is a game that lends itself to faster play. I my game, I generally let the faster posters set the pace, rather than the slower. Most players seem to appreciate that the game is moving, and those that miss a section understand. So, I'm happy to push things along if you are happy for us to do so.

You've pretty much been doing that already, doghead, and I appreciate it. Not in every instance but you've predominately been the one to drive the action. I'm ok with that if everyone else, particularly you, are ok with it. The person who drives things along is usually taking more of a risk than anyone else, though, as we've discovered to Bijela, Alaric, and Fendrel's detriment.

Fair point. I do think I'm learning about my game preferences, in terms of telling a story. I like having choice, if not in particulars like exact stats, then at least in what class I'll be able to play. And hit points as a buffer against mistakes or random traps. Random death vs. self-inflicted, though I suppose Alaric was asking for it by touching the goo.

That said, I can get that in every other game I'm playing: this is what I signed up for when I started the thread! :D

You do still have a choice. I won't deny that it isn't as good of a choice but you do still have options. Dudles, for example, can still be a wizard. He wouldn't be as good as Alaric but I think his lack would be a driving force for adventuring. He wouldn't reach his limit as a wizard until 5th level (which we probably won't reach) so he would have plenty of time to quest for solutions to his problems. And there will be other options, both in this module and that we could create that we can discuss when the time comes to level a character for further play.

doghead made a similar point about hit points. I wonder how that has been perceived by other groups. I think I would consider maximum hit points if I were to do it again but I'm really torn on the issue.

doghead

thotd
I wonder how that has been perceived by other groups. I think I would consider maximum hit points if I were to do it again but I'm really torn on the issue.

I think I would use max HP's if I ran a funnel. Its not going to eliminate the possibility of 'one hit one kill', and will probably only mean combats last 3 or 4 rounds rather than 2 or 3. On the flip side, I think that it will encourage a more adventurous, less risk adverse, approach to play.

thotd

Dogmatron

First Post
Sorry for trhe poor showing witht eh posting. Been a crazy week...wife is gone on business and I'm 'single-dading' it with 3 kids and work has been a pain in the ass. It should be better after today though (wife gets back).

Glasseye,Ii have been enjoying the game and would like to continue but completely understand if your losing interest. I can definitely start picking up the posting pace and get back to at least once per day. Hopefully you can give it a week or two more...

fireinthedust

Explorer
Sorry for trhe poor showing witht eh posting. Been a crazy week...wife is gone on business and I'm 'single-dading' it with 3 kids and work has been a pain in the ass. It should be better after today though (wife gets back).

Similar situation for me, plus I'm trying to (ironically) write up my own DCC module (the game and the Appendix N influence inspires me, even if I seem to suck at actual play!) for my production company's first product!

It's easy to prep as a GM, I think, because most of the crunch is in the player's hands: tables of spells and fumbles. In terms of writing the adventure, I'm finding the freedom to focus on the descriptions and GM information. Even if it is for DCC, if monster stats and PC sheets are the only crunch, someone could easily modify regular D&D or PF stats and throw them in on their own.

Remove ads