• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GM Problems: Table Space

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
OK, so I'm running D&D or whatever. Here's what I bring to the table:
  • I'm running an adventure out of a book, so I naturally need that book at the table.
  • I need the Monster Manual too, since the adventure doesn't come with basic monster stats.
  • I also want the Dungeon Master's Guide in case I need to roll for treasure or create a monster on the fly.
  • I also need the Player's Handbook for spellcasting monsters, and to answer random rules questions from the table.
  • I also need a notebook to keep track of hit points and whatnot.
  • I also need all my dice, obviously.

So that's four books (two of which I basically need to have sitting open at all times), plus a notebook and a bunch of dice. And that's not even getting into maps, minis, etc.

Our table is a decent size, but I only get one corner of it. How the heck am I supposed to have all this stuff in front of me?

Recently, I've been eschewing the core books in favor of a tablet with PDFs. Even that turns into a mess real fast--I have to put the tablet on top of the side of the adventure book I'm not looking at, my notebook balancing on my knee, and my dice scattered everywhere.

Other GMs: How do you deal with your table real estate? How do you lay out your stuff behind the screen? Should I just give in to the chaos?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
D&D 3.5 layout:
  • laptop with combat tracker (excel sheet for initiative and hit points)
  • 2-3 sheets with adventure notes, background narrative, and monster stats
  • 3 books on a seat beside me: PHB, MM, and an open slot
  • the remaining space behind the DM screen is for rolling dice

Modos RPG layout:
  • laptop with combat tracker and rulebook/rule website
  • 2 sheets for adventure notes
  • enough room behind screen for 6 dice

Use more laptop power, less books, and importantly: sit at the corner of the table. You don't have to BE behind the screen, you just have to be able to SEE behind it. If your GM-zone is to your left and the battle-map (if you're using one of those) is to your right, you'll be standing up, bumping the table, and stretching less.

was

Adventurer
Try placing an extra chair on either side of you about a foot away. Face them towards you. Place your open books on the seats. Folding chairs work well.

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
I always carry a folding 6' table for myself (Costco). Usually a folding chair too (I like harder chairs so I sit up. Soft chairs hurt my back). I use a milk crate to carry whatever books and binders I need. Then I sit it on the left of the table, open, facing to the right, with book spines facing out, so I can grab as needed. It's like a mini-bookshelf. I use the top of it to hold my containers for supplies.

Then I have the screen in front of me. I have a 3-ring binder in front of me for notes, adventure stuff, etc. Then I can open a book or 2nd binder on my left. I have a set of cards on the right of me in one of those plain white CCG boxes (these are random cards for all kinds of things from the Fantasy Toolcards kickstarter). Finally, I have one of those "paper-stands" that are designed to hold a book or document for you while you type. This holds the current map (location, region, etc.). I also keep various maps in clear protectors in a stack on the holder. I have plenty of room in front for my dice.

I carry everything in a large wheeled storage box. This includes a bunch of cardboard terrain and Pathfinder Pawns in craft boxes. I can use the carrier as a short table to stack the craft boxes on for easy access.

I have ditched my laptop at the table and went completely analog. It's very refreshing and fast (for me) and I also ask everyone to turn off phones and not have devices at the table. Seems to be lessening the distractions. YMMV of course. :)

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I use either a fold-up bookshelf or a plastic set of stacking trays that I can place next to me at the table. This holds my books, extra pens, index card box, and a dice tray on top. On the actual table, I have either the adventure I'm running or my notes open, a DM screen, and index cards.

Index cards are important to my style. During Prep, I actually copy the stat blocks for any monsters I'm going to use into an InDesign template, then print out the stat block onto a blank card. If I don't have time for that, I have pre-printed stat block cards that I can jot the pertinent information onto. This means I only have to reference the Monster Manual in game for monster lore or for an unexpected encounter. I also use the cards for tracking initiative, so they pull double duty.

I sometimes have miniatures behind the screen, but I mostly just keep all my miniatures on a nearby bookshelf and grab them as needed.

Zustiur

Explorer
Laptop, pencil, dice and a few sheets of paper does it for me. I often have the monster manual closed under the laptop and rarely reference it. Adventure is on the laptop. Monster stats printed out in summary form, initiative tracked by a player. Scrap paper to track HP.

delericho

Legend
As far as possible, I try to run the game without reference to the books, excluding the adventure I'm running (if any). Indeed, I'll try to prep notes ahead of time so that I can have the monster stats in front of me without having to crack open the MM.

In terms of a practical recommendation, though: I recommend getting a bunch of bookmarks. It seems a trivial thing, and perhaps it is, but the ability to drop a bookmark into place allows me to close a book and go back to it really easily, and thus means I virtually never have to have more than one book open in front of me at a time. The rest can then be shoved onto the pile of books that sits behind me when gaming - just in case I do need to reference something.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In terms of a practical recommendation, though: I recommend getting a bunch of bookmarks.

They make sticky notes precisely intended to mark pages in books. Go through ahead of time, and mark all the monsters in your MM that you'll need.

I often take sets of notes on monsters and their relevant abilities, so I am working with a few sheets of paper at the table, rather than having the whole book open. Those shame sheets of paper usually wind up carrying a lot of the combat tracking, I need, by simple expedient of writing in the margins...

neobolts

Explorer
Table:
We use a rectangular play table with a DM screen at one end.

Maps/boards:
We have a dry erase board that has been scored with a square grid in the middle with about a 6 inch "margin" around the edge.
We have a separate dry erase miniboard used as the initiative tracker.
Large world maps are wall mounted.

Side TV tray tables:
I think the best addition might be the TV tray tables: I use solid wood folding TV tray tables to create side tables for the DM and whereever else they are needed at the table. Allows books to be off to one side.

Storage:
We have a wall of large cubby-holes for shelving books and storing miniatures.

Gilladian

Adventurer
We currently play at my house on the dining room table. I really HATE to travel to DM. I extend the table with a 4' square card table, which is "my" spot. I don't use a DM screen; on the table are commonly the following - my iPad with the pdf of the adventure of the day. If the adventure I am running is not in electronic format, I type or scan it in so it is. The only thing I print is typically the maps. I keep my DMG, MM and PH in a stack to one side. If I need to refer to one of them, I do it briefly. Monsters are usually what I'm accessing, but even then I try not to have to leave the book open. Spells I make one of the players look up. Usually my husband, who sits to my right. I can generally trust him to explain and apply the spell fairly!

Then all I need is my initiative tracker and container of thumbtacks, printed map, notepad for HP tracking, and my box of magic item and treasure cards. Oh, and dice. I generally am rolling them in sight of everyone, so I use the stack of books for that. To the right of my chair, I also have a 3' tall wheeled plastic drawer unit, where I keep all my terrain and monster minis. I keep extra dice, graph paper, pencils and wet-erase markers and spell templates in there as well. We use a mondo battle mat on the table, although with 5e I draw fewer combats than I did in 3.5e. The minis are usually optional; I can get away with a handful of cardboard cutouts, 2-3 sets numbered 1-10, 1-6 and 1-4, then a couple of "specials" for boss monsters. A couple of "large" and "huge" cutouts are nice, too.

Remove ads