• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gno more gnomes?

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
Nebulous said:
Personally, i wouldn't mind at all if gnomes were just relegated to an NPC fey race with more magical powers

That's a cool idea, bring back gnomes in PHB II, but have them be of the Fey type.

…If creature type still exists in 4th edition.

Patlin

Explorer
If they're not in the PHB, maybe the monster manual? While they said monster write ups and PC write ups are seperate, I don't think I've seen a quote indicating they won't be found in the same book.

That's also where I'd rather see Tiefling info....

John Drake

First Post
Baby Samurai said:
That's a cool idea, bring back gnomes in PHB II, but have them be of the Fey type.

…If creature type still exists in 4th edition.

Then what is the point getting rid of the race if it is only to come back? Just get rid of them or do not! Or just change them outright in the PHB so people will be more inclined to play them then.

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
John Drake said:
Then what is the point getting rid of the race if it is only to come back? Just get rid of them or do not!

They're not just getting rid of things, they are just postponing them. Just like I'm sure psionics will hit us in 2009 when Eberron is released.

I'm sure if the half-orc is not in the PHB, it will not be long before he comes around the pike.

Nebulous

Legend
Baby Samurai said:
They're not just getting rid of things, they are just postponing them. Just like I'm sure psionics will hit us in 2009 when Eberron is released.

I'm sure if the half-orc is not in the PHB, it will not be long before he comes around the pike.

Yeah, over the next 10 years (or however long until 5th edition) 4e will recycle everything from 3e, and more than likely dip back into 2e for tidbits they missed last time around.

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
Nebulous said:
Yeah, over the next 10 years (or however long until 5th edition) 4e will recycle everything from 3e, and more than likely dip back into 2e for tidbits they missed last time around.

All I know is that this time around I want my Algoid back!

Hairfoot said:
I always reckoned the 4E PHB should have a big and a small of four humanoid types: Humans/old-style halflings; elves/3E halflings; dwarves/gnomes; hobgoblins/goblins.

That would actually be a great idea; I hardly think it will come to that in practice, though. Personally, I've always had a soft spot for gnomes, and have played several technologists in that race. I guess the engineer in me is what attracts me to them; of course, it would probably make more sense to play an elven wizard, but the flavour of them is reason enough for me. Technology, rabid optimism, secrecy, huge noses, what's not to love?

Of course, fantasy technology is a bit hard to handle, so instead, I give them some ancient Greco-Roman technology that's since been lost: diptych sundials, walking odometers, hypocausts, concrete, etc. Great stuff, in my own inflated opinion :p

SnowRaven

First Post
Nebulous said:
I just don't see the need for gnome really as a player race; there's so much overlap there with dwarves and halflings anyway. Personally, i wouldn't mind at all if gnomes were just relegated to an NPC fey race with more magical powers, like their historical counterparts in mythology.

It's not really that you see a need, but do you see a need for them to NOT be there?

Just because you don't like something, should it be removed rather than you simply ignoring it?

Anyway, I don't see any overlap between gnomes and halflings, other than they're short. I certainly don't see any similarities with dwarfs, so can't help you there.

WarlockLord

First Post
Gnomes are dumb. There is no role they have that other races can't fill. They are not cool. They are annoying.

However, they taste GREAT roasted with paprika! Woo!

Remove ads