• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gnome Art Preview

MaelStorm

First Post
ImperialParadox said:
If I saw the WoTC gnome art without a caption I would assume it was some kind of elf.

I don't like the WoTC alien-fey cartoon character as a gnome either (though I would love it as a new type of fey, just not a gnome).

The Pathfinder gnome is closer in the right direction to me, though I can see that as being easily mistaken for a halfling. Though I suppose if all gnomes had nature-colored hair and greenish tinged skin I could see that is becoming a readily identifiable marker for a gnome, as opposed to a halfling, who would look more 'normal'. If I had to pick which of the three images would represent the new gnome, the Pathfinder one would be it for me.

Though honestly in my mind I still picture gnomes as your short, plump, bearded folk in funny clothes and big noses, sometimes with a scholarly or tinker motif. An image that I suppose isn't 'cool' enough anymore, but the image that springs to my mind nonetheless.
THIS. I completely agree.

Zamkaizer

First Post
ImperialParadox said:
If The Pathfinder gnome is closer in the right direction to me, though I can see that as being easily mistaken for a halfling. Though I suppose if all gnomes had nature-colored hair and greenish tinged skin I could see that is becoming a readily identifiable marker for a gnome, as opposed to a halfling, who would look more 'normal'. If I had to pick which of the three images would represent the new gnome, the Pathfinder one would be it for me.
This is a Pathfinder halfling. The differences are apparent.

DandD

First Post
2005164480585967746_fs.jpg

Jailbaits and midgets... Now, if they showed a picture of a female halfling with hairy feet, then I'm going to be able to differentiate Pathfinder halflings from Pathfinder gnomes. But right now, Pathfinder Gnomes just look like Pseudo-Magical Girl Sammie/Pixie Misa/Kuriri/Whateverthereis. :D

Wormwood

Adventurer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Something as ridiculous as Golden Wyvern Adapts would never get into the actual Core Rules, would it?
With the departure of gnomes, there simply wasn't enough Ridiculous remaining in the core rules. The void needed to be filled.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Relique du Madde said:
That gnome makes me want to committee genocidal acts.
Genocide is one thing, but committee? Have you no decency, sir?

The gnome is fine, other than his inexplicable fashion faux pas. Get that boy some lederhosen and a cap with a feather in it!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
DandD said:
To be honest, Klaus, they simply look like Halflings to me. Or skinnier dwarves with shorter beards.
In Ptolus, gnomes and halflings are practically the same race, and both are a branch of the elf family tree. Although, like all right thinking people, I'm way tired of elves, it's a pretty good set-up, IMO. (It makes silliness like the whisper gnome unnecessary, for instance: You're just a halfling who just hangs out with your more distant relations.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Clavis said:
If I say "Gnome" to the average person, they think a short, heavy-set little person with a big nose and a white beard. That's what Gnomes are, and that's what new players will expect them to be. If you want to create a fantasy race that doesn't look like that, don't call them Gnomes.
Boy, are you going to be upset when you see the 3E and 4E halflings.

Remove ads