Goal a Paladin class that works for every faith. What am I missing?

DragonTurtle

First Post
Ok, here is an idea for a new archetype.

Infiltrators
Even omniscience can get a little help from a first hand source. Infiltrators are the branch of the church that goes undercover in enemy organizations. Infiltrators tend to dress in ways that do not call any attention to themselves and prefer weapons that are easily concealed.

Infiltrators get d8 HD, skill points increase to 4 a level
Disguise, Forgery, Bluff, Hide in Shadows and Move Silently are class skills.

1 Suppress Aura, Fool Detection
2 Sneak Attack +1d6, When in medium or lighter armor
3 Fool Detection +2, Change aura 1
4 Sneak Attack +2d6 When in medium or lighter armor
5 Fool Detection +4, Change aura 2
Suppress Aura (Su):Crusaders normally give off a tell tale aura that matches their alignment. Infiltrators can suppress the aura at will as a standard action, it remains suppressed until the infiltrator spends another standard action to activate it.
Fool Detection (Su):Infiltrators can make a Will save anytime they are the target of a divination spell to detect alignment. If they make their will save the caster gets no reading off the crusader. The bonus to the will save goes to +2 when they receive their 3rd divine path ability and to +4 when they receive their 5th divine path ability.
Change aura 1 (Su): As a standard action infiltrators can change their aura one step along the lawful to Chaos Axis. For example a neutral infiltrator can change to appear chaotic or lawful. While a lawful infiltrator can appear neutral.
Change aura 2 (Su): As a standard action infiltrators can change their aura one step along the good to evil Axis. For example a neutral infiltrator can change to appear good or evil. While an evil infiltrator can appear neutral.

iwatt

First Post
DragonTurtle said:
Note, it may have been confusing because of the combat casting feat as a choice. I didn't fill in the details above but their Divine Path abilities that list a spell and a number of times a day they can be cast are spell like abilities, so they invoke an attack of opportunity.

IIRC correctly using SLA does not provoke an AoO.

By the way, I like your ideas.

Last edited:

DragonTurtle

First Post
It's the Supernatural abilities that don't provoke a AoO, Spell Like abilities being spell like unfortunately do. At least according to the SRD.

Thanks for looking at the class though, I appreciate it.

DragonTurtle

First Post
Here is another archetype for the crusader:

Slayers- When Demons, Devils, Undead or any other scourge threatens your campaign world, the churches often train slayers to take up the holy mission of erradicating these fiends.
Slayers get Knowledge (planes) as a class skill.
1 Protection Form Evil 1/ day + charisma modifier.
2 Turn Undead as a paladin
3 Bless Weapon 1/ day + charisma modifier.
4 Strong Spirit (Ex)- Resist level drain attacks with a DC 10+ opponents CR Fort check.
5 Holy strike (Su)- Slayer can do critical hits on targets normally immune as long as their type is outsider, undead or evil. This applies even to targets that do not have a discernable anatomy.

Keep the comments coming, I want to make this the best I can.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
I like this variant a lot. One question, how do you justify a paladin on the savior path having the favored enemy ability? It seems incongruous. I would also change the first 2 steps in the savior path, adding more traditional paladin abilities like lay on hands.

Perhaps favored enemy could be replaced by a power-list-now-chose that included favored enemy as one option. Other options might include a devout pilgrim who gains power/faith by visiting holy sites, a devotee of a particular saint or ideal (a la the oathsworn paladin), or an animal companion/mount.

DragonTurtle

First Post
Quickleaf said:
I like this variant a lot. One question, how do you justify a paladin on the savior path having the favored enemy ability? It seems incongruous. I would also change the first 2 steps in the savior path, adding more traditional paladin abilities like lay on hands.

Perhaps favored enemy could be replaced by a power-list-now-chose that included favored enemy as one option. Other options might include a devout pilgrim who gains power/faith by visiting holy sites, a devotee of a particular saint or ideal (a la the oathsworn paladin), or an animal companion/mount.
Proposed change- Replace Favored enemy, which he had too many levels of any how with a divine temperment- Samples:
Zealot- These characters gain favored enemy ability at 1st, 8th and 16th level.

Pilgrim-
1st- These characters gain a +10 to base land speed (Ex)
10th- Woodland Stride

Hermit-1st- Animal affinity
5th level- Animal Companion as ranger

Remove ads