Goblins in the Cellar (Bront judging)

JRYoung

First Post
DrZombie said:
"I will join you. Perhaps there is a less violent way to solve this." Irrinaer says.

"You are welcome to try any and all options" says Farrian with a wink, "all we care about is results."

Wik

First Post
Jezira smiles a bit at the comment about "House Deneith Mercenaries". In fact, she shows the inside of her arm, displaying her dragonmark firmly.

"It looks like at least one Deneith Mercenary has time for a few goblins." She says, softly.

Holding her halberd in one hand, she says "But you should tell us about these 'pets'. I don't like surprises."

JRYoung

First Post
Wik said:
"It looks like at least one Deneith Mercenary has time for a few goblins." She says, softly.

Holding her halberd in one hand, she says "But you should tell us about these 'pets'. I don't like surprises."

Farrian smiles broadly at Jezira and replies: "Outstanding, we are glad to have Deneith represented! As far as pets, some kind of dog or wolf has been seen slinking about the courtyard. From what I understand Goblins favor such animals, although I cannot stand the smell and mess myself..."

[sblock=JEZIRA ONLY]
Jezira, quite adapt at reading people, finds Farrian's story a little fishy, like some information
is being ommitted or twisted slightly... (the result of your sense motive check)

Nothing sinister that you can detect, it just doesn't add up completely.
[/sblock]

JRYoung

First Post
OOC: Let's assume Braiden is OK and ready to roll. So let's get started.

"Very well then, check your gear and follow me" Farrian says to the party. Giving everyone a moment to check their weapons and packs, Farrian heads off. He leads you to the center of the city then down a series of lifts into the bowels of the city, paying all lift fares. The deeper you go into Sharn's undercity the dimmer the lighting, the ranker the smell, and the fouler the denizens. At this hour traffic is light, but few streets are empty at any level, Sharn bustles around the clock.

Your destination is Khyber's Gate, a city beneath the city, with homes and shops carved right into the walls of the Cogs. It is a maze of passages, the air is filled with the stench of smoke and garbage. Normal foot traffic here at this late hour consists of Goblins and Orcs, and down the street you see two drunken Ogres stagger out of a tavern. Only a few of you have been this deep into the city before, the architecture can best be described as ramshackle and dilapidated.

Farrian leads you on a winding path to the edge of the district, after a few blocks he keeps to the shadows and encourages you to do the same. Two blocks from the cavern wall he stops and has you all take cover. "There, at the end of the 2nd block, that is our office compound. There is no access from the back, it butts up against the cavern wall. Likewise the side walls are penned in by the buildings on either side. You see, the front gate is broken, the left side is busted off of its hinge. It was damaged by them to thwart our defense.”

“There is a lookout posted at the end of the block, but we have a diversion planned to take care it him. We will circle around to the right, our diversion will come from the left. Come on, let’s go.”

Attachments

• Khyber's Gate.JPG
    Khyber's Gate.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 109

Redclaw

First Post
Justice looks at the poverty that surrounds them as they descend into the depths of the undercity. It is always thus. Great decadence rises on the shoulders of deprivation. There is no justice in this division of wealth and happiness. His observation complete, he goes back to dispassionately observing the denizens of Khyber's Gate.

He follows Farrian to the end of the block and observes the broken gate. Why would we need other entrances? Our job is to go in and clear them out, right? Sneaking around won't chase them away. Besides, justice demands that we give them the chance to withdraw peacefully. He observes Farrian's response carefully, waiting to see the crack that will confirm his suspicions.

Mellubb

First Post
Braiden looks at the Warforged and says "It would be wise to know the exact number of foes inside before we storm in. We need as much intelligence on their defenses as possible."

JRYoung

First Post
Redclaw said:
Why would we need other entrances? Our job is to go in and clear them out, right? Sneaking around won't chase them away. Besides, justice demands that we give them the chance to withdraw peacefully.

Farrian whispers: "Absolutely right my imposing friend. Besides, there really are no other approaches. You can wait for the diversion or not, your choice. Either way I'll be back a ways keeping watch from a distance..."

From this angle you see no sentries, no vagrants on the street, not even the Goblin lookout who is supposedly down the street (no doubt well hidden). All is quite.

OOC: Go ahead and post spot checks, view this if you get high enough[sblock=SPOT DC26]
If you really made this very difficult spot check you do in fact see the Goblin lookout down the street hiding in a pile of trash :)
[/sblock]

The front gate to the courtyard of the complex is composed of two large solid wooden doors each anchored to the walls by two iron hinges. The right "door" is in place (i.e. closed), the left is hanging sideways from the bottom hinge (which is badly bent) and detached completely from the top hinge. You can only see a little of the courtyard from where you are, other than some stray trash there is nothing.

OOC: you all will have a few in-game minutes to discuss strategy and prepare before the diversion, which you can wait for or not. Farrian is scampering back into the shadows unless there are any last questions for him.

Remove ads