Godzilla Minus One - Official Trailer (2023)

dave2008

Legend
Saw it last weekend, and i agree with the comments that the humans character stuff really works, making this more than just another kaiju movie with some humans running around in it.

Also, there seems to be some rewriting of Godzilla's origin going on, but I won't get into spoilers.
That (new origins) has happened several times. The origin in this story is very similar to an early version from the Heisei series of movies (IIRC).

PS - I saw the movie 2 weeks ago and both my son and daughter enjoyed it too. Though there are flaws (story, acting, CGI animation), it was overall a really good Godzilla movie with some of the best Godzilla destruction/battle scenes ever IMO.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
One of the things that I loved about it is this - You can watch it to see Godzilla smash Tokyo and it is great. You can watch it to see people band together to fight a Kaiju, and it is great.

Or, you can watch it as a metaphor for PTSD. Godzilla is War Itself. The things you see in war follow you home. You can't form deep human connections and you hurt the ones you love (who can wind up sacrificing themselves for you). You need a core group of friends to see what you are going through (and a doctor) who can, together, go deep and pull your demons up to where you can face it, and given the right tools, defeat it, so you can move forward.

Last edited:

Remove ads