• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Golden Sun

RyanL

First Post
I just wanted to see if any of you guys have opinions on the Golden Sun games. I've heard good things, and I'll probably be playing them soon. I also have a specific question...

Is it important to play the original Golden Sun before the sequel? You see, I just bought a GBA. Idiot that I am, I wasn't aware that there were two Golden Sun games, and I merely asked for "Golden Sun". The clerk assumed I meant Golden Sun: The Lost Age, and sold me that.

Feel free to give recommendations for other GBA games. I've also got Metroid Fusion, and that's been pretty fun.

-Ryan

Welverin

First Post
I have not played either despite constant pestering to do so (I didn't and continue to not have a GBA). I have yet to hear or read anything bad about them.

Based on the reviews I've read the second game pick up right where the first left off, literally, so if you want to understand what's going on play the first game before you start the sequel. It should be relatively cheap by now so it shouldn't set you back much.

John Crichton

First Post
The second I get my Gameboy player for Gamecube I'll be getting both Golden Sun games. :) Both are supposed to be excellent.

Try here. These guys are pretty reliable. The first game is pretty cheap (I've seen it for like $20) so go for that.

RyanL

First Post
I cast Resurrect Thread!

I'm about halfway through the first Golden Sun game (got in some good GBA time, courtesy of Tropical Storm Bill). I just wanted to confirm that it is indeed a fine little RPG.

Side note: I started Skies of Arcadia Legends on the Gamecube, and it looks like it's going to be a very good game as well.

Another side note: I finished Evolution Worlds on Saturday. It wasn't very good.

-Ryan

Welverin

First Post
RyanL said:
Another side note: I finished Evolution Worlds on Saturday. It wasn't very good.

Hope you didn't actually buy that. Should have asked about it first, I haven't seen a single postivie review for it.

Ristamar

Adventurer
I'm playing Golden Sun now. Thus far I think it's a little overrated (but still enjoyable), though my opinion may change since I'm not very far into the game yet.

The best game(s) on the GBA hands down has to be Advance Wars/Advance Wars 2. I still need to buy them, but I'm afraid it will become an addiction.

Rock'n'Roll Racing is highly recommended. The SNES game was an absolute classic, and the port is near perfect.

The 3 Castlevania titles are supposedly very good (Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow).

The Mario Advance series are ports of the classic games, which are still timeless and extremely fun (SMB2, SM World, Yoshi's Island, and the upcoming SMB3).

Lots of other good franchises out there, as well, like F-Zero, Mario Kart, etc, etc etc...

All in all, the GBA library rocks hard. It's like having a handheld SNES with plenty of extras. How can you not love it... :)

Destil

Explorer
Ristamar said:
The 3 Castlevania titles are supposedly very good (Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow).
Circle of the moon was indeed excelent. The gameplay was hard but not insane, the card system was very unique (though the randomness of the cards was a bit of a problem), the music was very good and the replay modes were excelent.

Harmony, however... is simply dull IMHO. The graphics are about the best of the three, but the sound suffers (GBA ROMs are only so big) for them.

Aria is perhaps the best game in the entire Castelvaina series to date [mabye second after Rondo of Blood, though that never came in the US intact]. If you were to combine all the best aspects of Circle of the moon and the excelent PS1 Symphony of the Night you'd basicly get Aria. Highly recomended.

Remove ads