• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good dwarven ruined city recommendation?

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Hi all
I'm running a sandbox campaign on my own setting. The party decided to help the dwarf to go to the dwarven ruins of Komek. Nex monday they are reaching a secondary entrance.
I was wondering if someone knows about good maps/adventures/inspiration for a ruined/abandoned/undermountain dwarven city. Any help will be awesome.
Thanks you in advance.

Unwise

Adventurer
If you search google images for the Mines of Moria you will come across some large scale maps.

The old Nentir Vale setting had Hammerfast, a city populated by both the living and the dead. That could be interesting. The PCs travel into a huge complex like Moria, upon reaching the center they find that a living dwarf clan still exists there and are living side by side with the ghosts of the original clans ancestors. I think some adventures there were free, either in dungeon or adventurers league for 4e. There are D&D wiki bits about it and some maps on google image search.

Thunderspire Hold is a 4e adventure that is full of cool ideas and like all 4e products, heaps of maps. A duergar hold. A lawful evil town run by wizards. A Minotaur maze. A gnoll hold summoning a demon. You can google it, there is a copy a few links down.

aco175

Legend
There is an adventure on DMsGuide about the ruins of Southcrypt here that has some stuff to start on. There is a few maps and duergar encounters and a few leads on other areas to eplore.

Gauntlet of flame: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/206538/Gauntlet-of-Flame?filters=45469_0_45393_0_0_0_0_0

Ran a lose interpretation of this module a few years ago - dwarven fortress, built on an active volcano to use the heat to run the forge, taken over by fire giants. Good solid map of the main fortress, some interesting npcs, a lovely collection of dwarves Beat into servitude. Also there's a fun collection of adventures to be had in the mines below the fortress.

Probably played about 20 hours long, although that's probably due to various difficulties and bad luck.

cooperjer

Explorer
Thunderspire Labyrinth has a good option as mentioned above. In particular, the Duergar hold could be a city that was lost to some dwarves, but now is occupied by Duergar that are on the take to do the bidding of a greater evil. In addition, Princes of the Apocalypse maps are said to be old Dwarven carved dungeons that have since been taken over by the evil elemental cults. I wouldn't recommend running the adventure, but the maps are very useful in that they provide interesting geographical features for the players to interact with. One map has a very large underground lake. One map, has a massive lava flow. The other two maps are more or less boring, but you can probably spice them up if you have the time.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Wooow. Lot of information. I just want to come back home from work to check your recommendations. Awesome. Thank you all. I'll check and tell what I found!!!

Remove ads