• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good feats for reach weapons

Hari the Monk

First Post
Combat Reflexes
Expertise
Improved Disarm
WF (reach weapon of choice, Ranseur probably)
Monkey Grip (reach weapon of choice, again, Ranseur)
Other Feat of your choice.

Use a large shield, giving you a +2(in addtion to any benefits from magic). This allows you to retain a decent AC, and make reach attacks. If you go the Disarm route, and you have a plethora of enemies that want to close with you in one round, you can disarm (or attempt to disarm) 1+Dex bonus. Then, they either stand there, and take your beating, stop and draw a new weapon, or bend over and pick up their old weapon (providing you with another attack of opportunity). And if you want to, you simply move back, up to a double move, and make your opponent close again (if that's an option).

I'm hesitant to suggest the Imp Trip feat, since it still includes the chance that you'll be tripped, should you fail in your attempt. Imp Disarm prevents this outright on disarm attempts. Sunder prevents this on Strike weapon attempts, though that's a standard action, and useless to the AoO-capitalizing-style fighter you seem to be building.

Another option in feats is:
Ambidexterity
TWF
WF (weapon of choice)
MG(Weapon of choice)
Shield Expert
Combat Reflexes.

With this route, you can make your disarm attempts, and, when using a Spiked Shield, make a normal, albiet 1d6/x2 crit, at the 5ft range. Also, if you don't use the Reach weapon, you don't incur penalties for Two weapon fighting, and Ambidexterity allows you to set your 'off' hand each round, which in turn allows you to set your spiked shield to your 'primary' hand. In addition to all of this, you *still* retain the AC bonus from the shield, due to Shield Expert.
Later on, you can build towards the Whirlwind attack feat tree, and can maintain a threat at the 10ft range, while Whirldwinding at the 5ft range with your shield spikes. :eek: :D Of course, this will cost you another 5 feats, and require 13+ in Dex(but you've already got a 16+ to get Ambidexterity) and 13+ Int to pull off.

Also, you could go with Power attack, Cleave, and Great cleave, and be a vicious fighting machine in the midst of a sea of weaker enemies (threatening 10ft and 5ft ranges, with decen't damage).

Deadguy

First Post
I'll second Wolf72's suggestion of Quickdraw! The ability to draw a defensive weapon when they close right up to you is invaluable. There will be times when you can't move back or aside in order to bring the Reach weapon into play (and you know that your DM will include them - or your PCs will try and manufacture the situation).

Plus Quickdraw does allow a Fighter to use a throwing weapon as an opener and then prepare to take the enemy's advance.

Gromm

First Post
Take a level of PsiWarrior for Standstill.
Otherwise it would depend on the reach weapon (spike chain, glaive, etc).

drowdude

First Post
If you are going to focus on reach weapons the 2 best suggestions feat wise are Combat Reflexes and Quick Draw.

If you will be fighting alot of fairly low-hp opponents then Power Attack, Cleave, and Great Cleave will work nicely too, as they will possibly grant even more attacks on a large number of creatures as they pass through your reach.

trentonjoe

Explorer
I really like the spring attack idea and combat reflexes so that means I will take:

Dodge
Mobility
Spring Attack
Combat Reflexes

Now that leaves two more. THese seem like the options:

Expertise- Improved Disarm
Expertise- Improved Trip
Quick Draw
Monkey Grip
Weapon Focus
Weapon Focus- Weapon Specialization

I am going to rule out the Cleave tree and SHield expert. I don't think they fit what I am going for.

I should say one thing though. This is for an opponet and the battle will be fought in plenty of space for moving a round. Does this make quick draw less valuable?

StealthyMark

First Post
Quick draw is very useful - but Weapon Focus/Specialization is better. You could use Heward's Handy Haversack instead, or wait for 6th level.

Power Attack and Sunder are very nice, too.

bret

First Post
In my opinion, Improved Trip sucks. You have to beat them at a Str roll, so even with a very high strength you can frequently lose.

Go for QuickDraw and Improved Initiative.

Since it is a villain, you might also consider Quickdraw and Iron Will. Make them a bit more resiliant to Hold Person and such.

Kurtz Tote

First Post
I've found knockdown to be an effective feat with a reach weapon. I'm playing a strong 3/3 fighter/cleric. Can help boost the strength with a Bull's Strength spell. Then, every time your enemies enter your reach, you have a chance to get your AoO and knock them down. On your attack, you can attack them while they are still lying on the ground. Move back, and next round it will start all over again.

drowdude

First Post
bret said:
In my opinion, Improved Trip sucks. You have to beat them at a Str roll, so even with a very high strength you can frequently lose.

I couldnt agree more. One of my players had his fighter specialize in tripping opponents. Everytime he tried to trip it backfired on him, often ending with him getting tripped himself! :p

The only time it really went off without a hitch was the time he used it on a bugbear the monk had already stunned for the round :rolleyes:

The reach was working wonders, but ugh, the trip mechanics need work ;)

Remove ads