• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good feats for reach weapons

BMF

First Post
Um...

Where would you draw a reach weapon from?? I don't think Quick Draw would be that useful for a Great Spear or a Ranseur. I don't think those weapons come with sheaths. I tend to think that if you've got an 8-foot weapon, you are probably carrying it in your hand already, unless you put it down. Where else would you put it, besides a magical space???

I would strongly suggest taking Combat Reflexes with any reach weapon.

Mulkhoran

First Post
drowdude said:

I couldnt agree more. One of my players had his fighter specialize in tripping opponents. Everytime he tried to trip it backfired on him, often ending with him getting tripped himself! :p

The only time it really went off without a hitch was the time he used it on a bugbear the monk had already stunned for the round :rolleyes:

The reach was working wonders, but ugh, the trip mechanics need work ;)

:mad:

Grrrr.............must............b**ch.......slap.......

Shadeus

First Post
trentonjoe said:
What about

Dodge
Mobility
Spring Attack
Combat Reflexes
Weapon Focus
Weapon Specialization

You can't get Spring attack and Weapon Specialization as a 5th-level fighter. Spring Attack requires the +4 BAB (which means it has to be the feat taken at 4th-level) and Weapon Spec requires a 4th-level character. So it's one or the other. Of course, he could just take it next level.

Kurtz Tote

First Post
drowdude said:
That is the beauty of knockdown. You are just beating them down, instead of trying to sweep their legs or something. At least the way we've played it, there is no counter-trip if the trip attack fails. I'm not trying to entagle anyone. Its just that I've hit them so hard they might stagger to the ground. The coolest event in which this was usefull so far was in a fight against a hydra. He ran wide of me to attack a fighter, but I was able to hit him with my reach weapon and knock him on his butt. Very cool to imagine.

Kurtz Tote

First Post
Hmm, haven't gotten the hang of the quoting down. That last reply was in regards to "Improved Trip Sucks" sentiments. I generally agree, and really never make a straight trip attack, but want to point out the upside of Knockdown

Remove ads