Good items for a druid

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Nothing particularly inspiring then, mostly just buffs of one kind or another?

The things that I've been considering as particularly useful are:

Incense of Meditation (4900gp, all spells you prepare that day after 8hrs meditation with the incense are maximised, at their normal level. Hello lots of summoned dire wolves, maximised flame strikes and call lightning storm etc!)

Obsidian Steed figurine of wondrous power (~28,000gp, once per week for up to 24 hours becomes a heavy warhorse which can do overland flight, etherealness or plane shift at will (!). Wowsa, that is a potent item for the price! Gotta be high up on the list.

Ring of Invisibility or Ring of Blinking. Both within the price range, the former is especially good when I'm mostly summoning allies and sending them into battle. The latter is especially good for scouting and avoiding AoE damage.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
For 25,800, the strand of prayer beads is great. Really the only bead you need is the bead of karma; the bead of smiting is actually useless to you.

The text says:
Reduce the price of a strand of prayer beads that is missing one or more beads by the following amounts: bead of blessing –600 gp, bead of healing –9,000 gp, bead of karma –20,000 gp, bead of smiting –16,800 gp, bead of summons –20,000 gp, bead of wind walking –46,800 gp.
but these amounts are wonky. If you reduce the prices of bead of karma and bead of smiting by 10,000 each, then the three beads together add up to 25,800; as such, you ought to be able to get a strand with just healing and karma for 19,000, or a strand with just karma for 10,000.

Getting +4 to caster level for 10 minutes a day is fantastically good. It'll make your greater magic fangs and barkskins much better, make each flamestrike do an average of 14 points more damage, etc.

Daniel

Plane Sailing

Pielorinho said:
For 25,800, the strand of prayer beads is great. Really the only bead you need is the bead of karma; the bead of smiting is actually useless to you.

Already got the necklace of prayer beads ;)

Go karma baby!

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
On a slightly different note, our party's monk/rogue just got a ring of blinking. I have never seen a magic item that so thoroughly changes a character: now, nearly every hit is a sneak attack, and he's become even more impossible to hit, and it's just ridiculous. I don't know that it'd be great for a druid, though: the 20% miss chance for spells could be very painful, and as I understand it, rings are unlikely to shapeshift with your wildshape.

If you've got that strand, then, I assume you also have a +4 wisdom item?

A couple of beads of force might not be a bad idea. Druids have real trouble with incorporeal creatures, in my experience, and the bead could prove helpful.

A couple of Quall's feather token (tree) could also be good: where there's a tree, there's a potential for plenty of druidy goodness.

Finally, in (I think) Complete Divine, there's a wonderful relic for a druid, a suit of +3 full plate made from oak or something. It's got one problem: full plate? If your DM will allow you to change it to a medium armor instead of a heavy armor (and thereby something that your average druid could wear), it'd be great. I think it's around 35,000.

Daniel

Vraister

First Post
Dracomeander said:
What is an eager dagger? Is it a specific weapon or is eager a weapon enhancement? Also, where is it found?
Eager is a weapon enhancement from Arms and Equipment guide. As long as you wear it you get +2 to your initiative and you can quick draw the weapon. I think its a +2 enhancement.

Vraister

Plane Sailing

Unfortunately I'm limited to DMG items, even though there is lots of other good stuff out there.

I may be able to up my affordability limit by spending some of our 12 weeks downtime making cloaks of protection (with my craft wondrous item feat) to make some extra dosh to help affording something a little more worthy.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Felix

Explorer
Stock up on the best Druid-flavor magic item of all time:

Quall's Feather Token: Tree

It won't ever really help all that much, it'll just be, you know, druidy.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Pielorinho said:
but these amounts are wonky. If you reduce the prices of bead of karma and bead of smiting by 10,000 each, then the three beads together add up to 25,800; as such, you ought to be able to get a strand with just healing and karma for 19,000, or a strand with just karma for 10,000.
First of all, this "wonkyness" has been around since 3.5 was published. WotC knows about it. There's no errata. Clearly, the intent is that a stand of prayer beads with only a bead of karma is supposed to cost 25800-9000 (bead of healing)-16800 (bead of smiting)= 0 gp. That's right. They're free!

However, if you want some sort of "balanced" (hah!) suggestion, the karma-only stand should cost 20000 gp (as written) and the complete strand 45800 gp (20000 extra). That way there's only one mistake in the text and the math works out for the greater strand of prayer beads.

Archade

Azer Paladin
Felix said:
Stock up on the best Druid-flavor magic item of all time:

Quall's Feather Token: Tree

It won't ever really help all that much, it'll just be, you know, druidy.

Gah! I hate Quaal! Darn him, darn him all to heck! My players are *constantly* buying these things and I'm convinced the 3.5 rewrite of the darn thing was based on my agonized emails to Sean Reynolds and Andy Collins with their 3.0 Quaal Tree Token hijinks.

Actually, the tree token is great for blocking a passage, letting you climb up and pick off your enemies from afar, or providing a tree to chop down to make an improvised bridge. Very cheap for its versatility - buy one and see if an opportunity comes up to use it.

Remove ads