Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics - So which ones are the best?

False Keraptis

First Post
I've got to recommend "Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen."

My group ran through this one about a year ago, and it's a legend to us. It's more a series of "boss battle" type encounters than a traditional crawl, which we really dug. If complicated high level combat doesn't get your juices flowing, though, you should probably stay away; there are some riddles and puzzles, but the battles are the main event.

goodmangames

First Post
I've got to recommend "Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen."

My group ran through this one about a year ago, and it's a legend to us. It's more a series of "boss battle" type encounters than a traditional crawl, which we really dug. If complicated high level combat doesn't get your juices flowing, though, you should probably stay away; there are some riddles and puzzles, but the battles are the main event.

The Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen was written primarily by Chris Doyle. If you like his work you might also like DCC #13: Crypt of the Devil Lich, which Chris also had a big hand in.

And for those who haven't seen it, we have all our adventures handily organized by character level for ease of selection in our handy-dandy Adventure Finder.

Crothian

First Post
I'm very much enjoying these modules. We are most of the way through Idylls of the Rat King and the group had me copy over all the little hints presented in the mdoule so they can try to figure what evil awaits them on the fourth level before our next game session. I'm linking that to one of the WotC Expedition modules.

I have now finished my collection of the 3ed ones and the last module I got, The Lost Arrows of Aristemis, is a perfect fit to my campaign. It has goblins and koblolds, an old gnomish hideout, slavers and even the final evil is a perfect fit to my campaign. I read it in one sitting cover to cover and immdiately planned how I would fit it into my campaign.

SavageRobby

First Post
I'm tempted to get #29: The Adventure Begins and/or #48: The Adventure Continues, but don't know how good the adventures on these are. Also, #35: Gazetteer of the Known Realms looked interesting, since it's reminicent of the old D&D Gazetteer series, but I have to admit I'm not looking for a new campaign setting. Does it have anything worth stealing if you don't want to use the setting?

I like both the Adventure Begins and the Adventure Continues a great deal. They have a lot of really good mini-adventures, and the good adventures far outweigh the few clinkers. I've found them to be very adaptable, and have used pieces in various games.

I also have #35, and thought to use it for a campaign world. Its ... okay. There is some great flavor, and its got some great ideas, but it didn't work for me as a game world. YMMV. I do like the two modules that are in it, but I'm not sure I would buy it for just the modules. If I was designing a campaign world or heavily modifying one, it would be a good reference and I'd definitely borrow elements, so in that case it would be worth it (especially if you could find it at a discount).

Remove ads