• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics - So which ones are the best?

Psion

Adventurer
The map is set up with one of those gold thingers with the prongs that you punch through paper to allow things to spin... that probably makes NO sense, but I don't know what those little gold thingers are called.

I've heard them called "brads":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_fastener

Historically, I've swiped 1 or 2 that I have ever needed from university supplies, though I am years past that now. I'd wager I'd have to make a special trip to Michael's to get some.

Any other special "concept" things like this in any of the other adventures?

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I've heard them called "brads":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_fastener

Historically, I've swiped 1 or 2 that I have ever needed from university supplies, though I am years past that now. I'd wager I'd have to make a special trip to Michael's to get some.

Thanks! I just looked them up on Staples Web site and they carry brass fasteners - if I'd known what they were called, I probably would have found them sooner. :)

Come to think of it, I think my father called them "brads", but he used to call things all sorts of weird names that nobody else ever used (most notably he'd call overshoes or galoshes "rubbers", much to our amusement).

Crothian

First Post
Any other special "concept" things like this in any of the other adventures?

None like this. There are some others that have gimmicks like the screenor the soundtrack. But nothing like this, most DCCs are exactly what one expects them to be. It is one of the strengths of the line.

Psion

Adventurer
None like this. There are some others that have gimmicks like the screenor the soundtrack. But nothing like this, most DCCs are exactly what one expects them to be. It is one of the strengths of the line.

Well, with >50 DCCs out, there has to be something to distinguish them. My favorites (many in the hardbounds) differ from your typical monster condo dungeon crawl in interesting ways. (Perhaps not this unique, but still...)

scrubkai

Explorer
Come to think of it, I think my father called them "brads", but he used to call things all sorts of weird names that nobody else ever used (most notably he'd call overshoes or galoshes "rubbers", much to our amusement).

You obviously don't hang out with enough people of the older generation.
Almost everyone I know that's in their 70s-80s calls them "rubbers".

You also might find that some of the things you say may get a strange reaction from them as well. For example the phrase "you suck" has provoked more then a couple angry reactions in the older generation.

Back on topic...
But yes they are called Brads. (Not brad nails, those are different) Just be careful using them, From what I remember about them, If you don't have a good round hole for them to go through, you will end up with the paper getting caught and ripping when you try to turn the pages.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
IMO, it's the best 3.5 DM Screen I've had access to of the commercial ones.

It's also nice and sturdy and the player side is covered in some pretty decent old-school-styled art.

Agreed. It is a set of two screens, each with 4 panels. Very sturdy construction. The inside includes the standard tables, but also includes summaries of combat rules (including maneuvers such as grappling, tripping, etc.) as well as summaries for most skills and conditions (confused, fascinated, etc.). Added bonus: includes a cool short adventure for 1st level characters "The Ruins of Castle Churo" (lame name, but a neat little dungeon crawl). Well worth picking up.

Remove ads