Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics - So which ones are the best?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Do you think Vault of the Iron Overlord works as a PDF? (anyone?) Given its funky map.

In the PDF (which I've just bought - thanks for the recommendations):

"Instructions for PDF Purchasers"

"This DCC module includes a map on the inside cover that actually rotates... obviously the PDF can't rotate. We have provided you with each of the rings on separate pages. You should stack these pages on top of each other, use a rotating fastener to to align them through the centre of the rings, and then clip the rings out of the paper. You will end up with the same map that is provided in the print version."

Cheers!

Psion

Adventurer
In the PDF (which I've just bought - thanks for the recommendations):

"Instructions for PDF Purchasers"

"This DCC module includes a map on the inside cover that actually rotates... obviously the PDF can't rotate. We have provided you with each of the rings on separate pages. You should stack these pages on top of each other, use a rotating fastener to to align them through the centre of the rings, and then clip the rings out of the paper. You will end up with the same map that is provided in the print version."

Yeah, I read that in the preview. How well does this actually WORK?

Voadam

Legend
I read the history preview for DCC35 the Known World Gazeteer last night and the successive rise and fall of world dominating nonhuman empires really appeals to me.

It goes giants, dragons, sphinx and naga, naga created serpent men, then elf and dwarf brought down by a resurgence of giants ending in magical apocalypse leading to the current age of man as dominant.

It makes the emerald curse, slithering overlord, and sphinx DCCs more tempting choices for me now.

Looking at the map link for DCC20 Shadows over Freeport it struck me as odd though that they placed Freeport on a peninsula instead of an actual island.

Do you think Vault of the Iron Overlord works as a PDF? (anyone?) Given its funky map.
The map is set up with one of those gold thingers with the prongs that you punch through paper to allow things to spin... that probably makes NO sense, but I don't know what those little gold thingers are called. As you advance/complete a room, the entire map "spins." It's reaaaaaally cool.

However, in PDF form, maybe you can cut out the spinning vault and use one of the gold thingers to make the turny vault yourself.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Thank you everyone for all the replies and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

I will probably pick up Castle Whiterock this weekend, but I decided to donate the rest of my PDF budget to Michael Morris this week, so I still have some time to decide what adventure mods I want to grab for next week.

Perhaps I may even have to grab them all before the year is out. :)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
The map is set up with one of those gold thingers with the prongs that you punch through paper to allow things to spin... that probably makes NO sense, but I don't know what those little gold thingers are called. As you advance/complete a room, the entire map "spins." It's reaaaaaally cool.

However, in PDF form, maybe you can cut out the spinning vault and use one of the gold thingers to make the turny vault yourself.

I have been searching for those gold thingers for YEARS without any luck! I remember taking them from my father's office all the time as a kid in the 70s, but haven't seen them in ages. If anyone knows a) what they are actually called, and/or b) where I can get them, I would be most appreciative.

I think my search started when I joined Adamant's Thrilling Tales Secret Squadron subscription service and it came with a cut-out secret decoder key badge that would have worked a whole lot nicer with one of those gold/brass thingys.

Tewligan

First Post
I'm going to recommend Crypt of the Devil Lich just because my old gaming group won when it was a tourney module. One of the prizes was to have a character illustrated by Erol Otus. The imp illustrated in the back of that module is Chalakassen (I know I'm spelling that wrong), an NPC who continually helped/hindered our party over the course of a few years of campaigning.

Voadam

Legend
Thank you everyone for all the replies and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

I will probably pick up Castle Whiterock this weekend, but I decided to donate the rest of my PDF budget to Michael Morris this week, so I still have some time to decide what adventure mods I want to grab for next week.

Perhaps I may even have to grab them all before the year is out. :)

I'm guessing they are going with the GSL which means the sale of DCCs (both print and pdf) from Goodman might end as early as October 1 I believe and then it will just be print ones still in circulation.

Remove ads