Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics - So which ones are the best?

StickPerson

First Post
I'll second that Stroh's adventures are good. DM'ing Legacy of the Savage Kings right now and having a great time, I plan to follow it up with War of the Witch Queen if the PC's want to chase after the main villian.

Other's that were good:
The Mysterious Tower (fun trap/puzzle heavy)
The Sunken Ziggurat (has some really cool unique monsters and fun encounters).

Gailbraithe

First Post
I found it impossible to understand Into the Wild, the maps just didn't work for me, and I ended up aborting the adventure with a deus ex machina and running something else. It's the only DCC I didn't like, though generally I agree that Harley Stroh writes great stuff.

I've run a bunch of them, and my absolute favorite so far is Legacy of the Savage Kings, which is just awesome stacked on awesome with heaps of awesome sauce. The ending is at once completely original and totally classic. And the dungeon was so cleverly laid out, I just really had a lot of fun running it.

The Sunken Ziggurat was also very fun, with lots of cool monsters -- the Tablet Golem is one of my all time favorite monsters. I've also run many of the adventures from The Adventure Begins, scaling some of them up as high as 7th level with ease, so I highly recommend that one, and it's sequel.

Idylls of the Rat King was fun to play through, it's the only one I've experienced from that end.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Get the Dragonfiend Pact and Transmuter's Last Touch for sure.

I'm kind of ambivalent about Legend of the Ripper, a year and a half into running it as a PBP. There's a number of balance issues in it, including a trap that will pretty much kill anyone in the suggested level range almost automatically, yet there's no way to avoid it and still progress. The very first monster in the module is also way too tough, and pointlessly so. That said, it's a salvagable module.

I'd recommend The Adventure Begins, which has a lot more gems than duds.

I'll be running the Sunken Ziggaraut later this year. I'm hoping it's good, although I'll be adding a second party of adventurers to it, so my experience of it likely won't be anyone else's.

Pinotage

Explorer
Definitely get Castle Whiterock. That's the best of the lot by far.

Crypt of the Devil Lich is also good fun, and I quite enjoyed Talons of the Horned, the latter being quite different with a sci-fi theme.

Aerie of the Crow god is good, Bloody's Jack gold is fun, but most are fairly good.

Pinotage

Psion

Adventurer
Crypt of the Devil Lich is also good fun, and I quite enjoyed Talons of the Horned, the latter being quite different with a sci-fi theme.

Aerie of the Crow god is good, Bloody's Jack gold is fun, but most are fairly good.

I didn't like Bloody Jack's Gold myself... I ran it and thought it was pretty dull/redundant, didn't play nearly as well as it read.

I did like Aerie and Devil Lich, along with Cage of Delirium, the Adventure Begins, and the Adventure Continues.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Stroh. He did the level 0 one in the Gazetteer box (Halls of the Minotaur) - it has ALL the right stuff for a classic dungeon. I followed it up with one of his from #29 (The Adventure Begins) for level 1, and then finished off the sequence with #28 (Into the Wilds). Into the Wilds has a GREAT "Keep on the Borderlands" vibe going for it. Totally awesome.

Wow, I came in here to say something just like this so I'll second it. Heck, "Into the Wilds" oozes old school and it's a blast to read too.

-DM Jeff

Remove ads