• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics - So which ones are the best?

Weregrognard

First Post
I was sooo wrong

So, I never got got into the DCC line. I think the "old school" marketing that made it a success just turned me off, which is weird, considering I like most of the D&D "classics":

Remember the good old days, when adventures were underground, NPCs were there to be killed, and the finale of every dungeon was the dragon on the 20th level? Those days are back. Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures don't waste your time with long-winded speeches, weird campaign settings, or NPCs who aren't meant to be killed. Each adventure is 100% good, solid dungeon crawl, with the monsters you know, the traps you remember, and the secret doors you know are there somewhere.

Yuck! No way I'm getting into this!

But, they're 50% off. What the hey, I'll check it out!

OMFG I was so wrong!

You might consider that spiel on the cover false advertising because these puppies are extemely well made adventures masquerading as d20 dross. I got me bunch of these at DrivethruRPG and I'll be consulting them heavily for my 4E campaign.

Fathead

First Post
I'm going to recommend Crypt of the Devil Lich just because my old gaming group won when it was a tourney module.

*sniffle* Damn you west coast for luring our Tewligan away from us!

My personal favorites -

I have a special place in my heart for the tournament modules (Crypt of the Devil Lich, Vault of the Dragon Kings, Palace in the Wastes, and Chronicle of the Fiend). All of them are excellent. If you're looking for a good combination of dungeon crawl, riddles, strategy, and combat, they are a perfect fit. They all tend to be pretty tough though.

It has already been mentioned, but Harley Stroh is an amazing writer. Fantastic adventures, and some of the best flavor text around. So, any of his adventures I would add as recommendations.

Weregrognard

First Post
What did you get and how was the spiel wrong?

I got #51.5: Sinister Secret of Whiterock first. I was so impressed, I browsed around and got these:

#4: Bloody Jack's Gold
#7: The Secret of Smuggler's Cove
#8: Mysteries of the Drow
#12: The Blackguard's Revenge
#16: Curse of the Emerald Cobra
#18: Citadel of the Demon Prince
#22: The Stormbringer Juggernaut
#43: Curse of the Barrens
#45: Malice of the Medusa

I'm tempted to get #29: The Adventure Begins and/or #48: The Adventure Continues, but don't know how good the adventures on these are. Also, #35: Gazetteer of the Known Realms looked interesting, since it's reminicent of the old D&D Gazetteer series, but I have to admit I'm not looking for a new campaign setting. Does it have anything worth stealing if you don't want to use the setting?

What I meant about the spiel on the covers is that it didn't do anything to attract me to the products in the past. The artwork didn't help much, either.

"Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures don't waste your time with long-winded speeches, weird campaign settings, or NPCs who aren't meant to be killed"

I know it shouldn't be taken too seriously, but I got the impression of plain dungeon hack & treasure romps with little or no plot. Needless to say, I was very wrong. The adventures I've seen are far from boring and seem to have just the right balance of plot and "generic-ness" to insert into your own campaign.

Psion

Adventurer
I'm tempted to get #29: The Adventure Begins and/or #48: The Adventure Continues, but don't know how good the adventures on these are.

I found them very good. And there were several places in 48 I was saying "so much for "no NPCs that weren't meant to be killed". ;)

I know it shouldn't be taken too seriously, but I got the impression of plain dungeon hack & treasure romps with little or no plot. Needless to say, I was very wrong. The adventures I've seen are far from boring and seem to have just the right balance of plot and "generic-ness" to insert into your own campaign.

Indeed. They are site-based and traditional "monsters and tricky traps" model applies strongly, though many have a strong background and additional circumstances. It's fair to say that most avoid getting over-complicated with backstory implications and avoid an event-driven or heavily investigative model.

goodmangames

First Post
The Rotating Map in DCC #50: Vault of the Iron Overlord

Glad you guys enjoy the DCC modules! In answer to the questions on what the map looks like in DCC #50: Vault of the Iron Overlord, here is a photograph of the print edition:

http://www.goodman-games.com/5049preview.html

Note the fingers between the rotating sections, and the aforementioned "brass rotating thingeys." ;)

aboyd

Explorer
Too bad you have to buy at least 5, I only need 2!!
There are two modules in the list that cost $1. I just picked those two, plus the "adventure begins/continues" modules, plus the DM screen. $50 for 5 modules (technically about 30+ modules, since the "adventure" modules are actually collections). That doesn't seem bad.

Also their DM screen is roxar.
How so? I've read this before.
http://www.goodman-games.com/5038preview.html

At that URL you can see photos of the two DM screens. The first one with the conditions is what sold me on it. That looks nicely organized and easy to read. I don't have them yet, though. I suppose they could suck. Doesn't sound like they will, though. :)

Last edited:

Weregrognard

First Post
How's this one? I've been looking at picking up adventures with an eye towards ones that would work well in Scarred Lands, and medusae fit the bill.

Yes, it's definitely a snake-themed adventure, and therefore a perfect fit with the titan, Mormo. It's set in a desert so it can fit anywhere in the Southwestern parts of Ghelspad. There's a nice twist with the end "boss" which I won't spoil here.

In my upcoming 4E campaign (a re-imagined Isle of Dread), I want the yuan-ti to eventually play a major role so I might use this adventure to give the players a hint of things to come.

Crothian

First Post
There are two modules in the list that cost $1. I just picked those two, plus the "adventure begins/continues" modules, plus the DM screen. $50 for 5 modules (technically about 30+ modules, since the "adventure" modules are actually collections). That doesn't seem bad.

It is very good, I just already own the others. While I'm more then happy to own multiples of some books it just isn't worth it for modules. I found a friends though who was willing to buy three he wanted so I could get the two I needed.

Remove ads