• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Got Pathfinder Questions?

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I write Finding the Path here on EN World, which is scheduled to appear the first Friday of every month.

So if you have any kinds of questions you need answered for this month's column-- anything you need help with or just want to know-- hit me with your best shot. I'll take one question this month, and I'll save any questions I don't get to this month and take care of them in future installments.

Last edited:

tylermalan

First Post
When an Alchemist "casts" an extract by drinking it, how long does this action take? The SRD says "as if imbibing a potion," which I would take to mean that it would cost a single move action to drink the extract. Is this true? And what about extracts mimicking spells with a longer cast time (such as Enlarge Person, which has a casting time of 1 round)?

Also, when an Alchemist throws a bomb, does he use up bottles and flasks as ammunition like an archer uses arrows?

NiTessine

Explorer
Can you use an optional material component, such as a Varisian idol (from the Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide) with a spell-like ability (such as the summoner's summon monster ability)?

DogBackward

First Post
When an Alchemist "casts" an extract by drinking it, how long does this action take? The SRD says "as if imbibing a potion," which I would take to mean that it would cost a single move action to drink the extract. Is this true? And what about extracts mimicking spells with a longer cast time (such as Enlarge Person, which has a casting time of 1 round)?

First, drinking a potion is a standard action unless you have the Accelerated Drinker trait (which... as an Alchemist, is amazingly useful...) As for casting times, the Extracts ability says that they act just like potions, so they'd always be a standard action or move action, just like potions. Otherwise, yeah, Alchemists are great at single-target buffs. Especially with the Infuse Extract discovery.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten

Wasn't this in the errata for the APG?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Was it? I don't know, I read about the Alchemist on the SRD, so isn't that stuff placed in already?

Hm, good point. In that case, I think this is the answer to your question (emphasis mine):

Pathfinder SRD said:
An extract is “cast” by drinking it, as if imbibing a potion—the effects of an extract exactly duplicate the spell upon which its formula is based, save that the spell always affects only the drinking alchemist. An alchemist can draw and drink an extract as a standard action.

Crothian

First Post
A question about your column. Are you just doing rules inquiries or would you also field questions concerning adventures and the APs?

Remove ads