Gothic romance horror adventure..?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
You may be happy to know that I was going to recommend Restless Souls to you.... (Oh, wait... Rite Publishing... yeah, he probably already knows about it....) The death of a PC does not need to be the end....

Then there are ghosts of memory, hard to pull off in an RPG. The main character in Rebecca is never in the book.... One method is to have an NPC that only one character ever interacts with. Not a ghost, just someone that the PC used to know. Not always helpful.

The Auld Grump

Believe it or not, I don't have all of Rite's publications - only those products released since I started doing freelance/staff work for them, about October last year. Which means Restless Souls came before my time with them. However, I just contacted Steve, and he sent me the PDF for In the Company of Monsters - which includes the Restless Soul as one of the inclusions. So I now I have it.

I think you're right, having one of the NPC significant others die in game, then become a lover from beyond the pale, and continue to help his 'soul mate' even if his soul is all he has... would fit well into this Gothic horror romance project.

Thanks for the suggestion!

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Believe it or not, I don't have all of Rite's publications - only those products released since I started doing freelance/staff work for them, about October last year. Which means Restless Souls came before my time with them. However, I just contacted Steve, and he sent me the PDF for In the Company of Monsters - which includes the Restless Soul as one of the inclusions. So I now I have it.

I think you're right, having one of the NPC significant others die in game, then become a lover from beyond the pale, and continue to help his 'soul mate' even if his soul is all he has... would fit well into this Gothic horror romance project.

Thanks for the suggestion!
For that matter, the PC helping save the ghostly soul mate from damnation could also be a strong plot.

Redeeming a troubled, if not evil, love, or perhaps just being willing to let go - that it were better that the ghost seek its final rest rather than fade away....

The Auld Grump

Razuur

First Post
I think this is great stuff, and I know several female players who would eagerly play (and therefor I would be obliged to buy!)

That said, it is DEFINTELY not Harlequinn. I was forced to read one once, and decades later am still recoverring.

I think that it is indeed more Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre. or Perhaps Victoria Holt (Mistress of Mellyn).

I have had a few female players ask me to advance my current medieval england-esque world a few hundred years and run a "Pride and Predjudice" type game in a fantasy environ. The idea intrigued me, and I have been slowly gathering ideas, but I really like what you have put together here.

Good stuff. Would love to see more!

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I recently watched some old Masterpiece Theater version of Turn of the Screw by Henry James, while set in a later period and more psychological ghost story, since the main character is the governess and head of the household, it has a strong woman's point of view and seemed very inspiring as well.

I talked to Steve Russell at Rite Publishing, and he suggested if this were done as an independant patronage project, he'd recommend I find a female author to write it, while I develop and map it. But nothing in the works at the moment beyond my early experiments for my homebrew

Thanael

Explorer
Might I suggest Christina Stiles (Unhallowed Halls, The Village of Briarton, Faery's Tale, Spiros Blaak). Though she's currently at work on Open Design's Journeys to the West after very successfully funding it on Kickstarter...

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
You may want to look for the BBC 'A Ghost Story for Christmas' series, based on the stories of M. R. James.

Here's one on YouTube:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvkgwGGLp0k]Ghosts[/ame]

The Auld Grump

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Might I suggest Christina Stiles (Unhallowed Halls, The Village of Briarton, Faery's Tale, Spiros Blaak). Though she's currently at work on Open Design's Journeys to the West after very successfully funding it on Kickstarter...

I invited Christina to read this thread, and though she is busy for now, her interest is piqued...

You may want to look for the BBC 'A Ghost Story for Christmas' series, based on the stories of M. R. James.

Here's one on YouTube:

Ghosts

The Auld Grump

Too cool! But there were only two stories - sad face. I like a well told story and how often do you see a televised story telling rather than an acted out scene. Christopher Lee is very well spoken in this - very inspiring.

Christina

First Post
Yes, my arm could easily be twisted to work on this project. As I mentioned to Michael, my first published adventure was gothic horror for Masque of the Red Death (DUNGEON #61, "Jigsaw"). Oh, and I have written a romance novel for the small press. :)

Yep, this would be up my alley. :)

Christina Stiles

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Too cool! But there were only two stories - sad face. I like a well told story and how often do you see a televised story telling rather than an acted out scene. Christopher Lee is very well spoken in this - very inspiring.
I could have sworn that there was an inexpensive DVD set of the series, but if so then Amazon (US) does not know of it. :erm: When looking for the DVD I found plenty of torrents, but no sign of the DVD set, I could swear that I saw it for about five dollars once upon a time. Looking around it looks like it is now long out of print. :( However, they do apparently still run on BBC4 around Christmas time. Also, it looks like the series got resurrected, so there are some that I have not seen yet! :)

Wikipedia article on series.

I think that YouTube may have (or had) one or two others, maybe under their episode titles.

They are quite good, and yes, Mr. Lee is excellent as M. R. James.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads